• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MIrco VGs- VERSUS- BLR VGs for a PA-12 ??

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
Is there any real difference between the two?
A. Performance ?
B. Installation ?
C. Something I am missing about why one is twice as much as the other??

Last edited:
Actually they (BLR) used to have one for PA-12s.
They sold that STC to Cub Crafters. I assume using their VGs.

Cub Crafters is asking $1,495 for the PA-12 VG kit and STC.. I think it has the Tail Strakes along with it...
Micro Vortex wants $695 for their VG kit if left unpainted.

I've had micros on two 12s, And I'd use them again, easy to install; I did flight tests before and and after and lowered stall speed 3-4 mph but the biggest benefit was having good aileron feel to a much slower speed, and it's now hard to hey a stall to break, it just mushes unless you force it pretty hard, same with spin entry. I don't care for the strakes, they just feel in the way. The lady who owns Mocro is great to deal with. My only caution would be if you are installing on a recently recovered plane let it 'off gas' for a good long while before install or the contact paper templates don't want to peel off the wing.

Doug

I've had micros on two 12s, And I'd use them again, easy to install; I did flight tests before and and after and lowered stall speed 3-4 mph but the biggest benefit was having good aileron feel to a much slower speed, and it's now hard to hey a stall to break, it just mushes unless you force it pretty hard, same with spin entry. I don't care for the strakes, they just feel in the way. The lady who owns Mocro is great to deal with. My only caution would be if you are installing on a recently recovered plane let it 'off gas' for a good long while before install or the contact paper templates don't want to peel off the wing.

Doug

Yup, I had issues with my Poly-Tone paint and the stencils. But I couldn't wait to put them on the second S-7, having had them on the first. But only after the paint was months old, I pushed it a bit in retrospect the second time, maybe a few weeks after painting, and then really mashed the templates down, where a lighter touch would have sufficed. the templates from Micro rock other than the fresh paint issue.

Besides the strakes, the BLR/CC VG kit differs from the Micro kit in the placement of the VG's.
The Micro kit has them all in a line, the BLR kit staggers them--
the VG's in front of the flaps are farther aft than the VG's in front of the ailerons.
This is also the case with the two different kits for the 180/185.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My understanding is that there is not a "significant" performance difference. If there is a difference, my understanding is that the VG's are a little bit better. BUT...... and this is HUGE...The tail strakes are a massive pain in the arm. They sit just above the lift handles and make them hard to use, and hard on your arm where it cuts into you when you try to lift or move the tail. In short I personally hate, detest, loathe, and dislike the BLR system, and all because of those tail strakes.

Alex - those strakes will be a significant hinderance when you are beaching the plane.

Personal opinion folks.

Bill

My observation? VGs on a -12 are a subtle improvement. There’s no way one brand or the other is better enough to warrant the variation in price and given that I prefer Micro I’m pleased they have the more reasonable price tag. I used Micro for my -12 and my Cessna. I believe the VGs I got for my Rev are also Micro, but bigger than the others.

FWIW I installed Micro VGs on my old C150/150TD, and was underimpressed.
They might be great added to a sportsman cuff,
but I don't think I'd bother again with a stock early Cessna wing.

Since I have not flown with the BLR kit, I can’t answer your specific question about the difference between them and the Micro VG’s kit. But, I have been extremely pleased with my Micro VG’s on my -12. The enhanced slow speed aileron effectiveness is nice. More important to me is the fact during super-slow speed landings, if I get a sudden decrease in headwind (i.e. airspeed decreases unexpectedly to stall), I can keep the nose out of the dirt.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

We’ve put Micros on our last PA12 and the new one came with micro. BLR on my CCEX. I would use the micros

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Steve Tubbs told me years ago that he had flown both and if I recall correctly that the BLR's worked best when landing without power and the Micro's with power. I might be remembering it wrong however. I know that Cub Crafters needs your money but I have always installed the Micro kit. Best bang for the buck from what I have seen on Cubs, Huskys and Maules.

I've never flown both on the same airplane, so it is really hard for me to say. They both work great in my opinion. I'm always looking for more elevator (without a lot of trimming) for teaching three points. The CC gap elevator gap seals help that out quite a bit.

sj

For those that have the Crosswinds cuff and stall fences, did you notice a difference in performance?

They might be essential with the Crosswinds kit. I have had a Cub drop a wing in the flare due to ineffective ailerons.

I have flown stock Super Cub wings, Micro wings, and BLR with the strake. I cannot tell the difference. The stock Cub was a very light 160 Cub - a delight to fly until the owner started hanging mods on it. It is now slower, with Micros and Thrustline, and in the stall it violently drops a wing. It is mis-rigged to balance mis-matched ailerons. Not my airplane. Still fun to fly. Goes straight up, and no trim change in the pattern.

I talked to the BLR guy after not being happy with Micros on a Sportsman 180. This was after he sold to CC. He was not enthusiastic about the Micro/Sportsman combo. Me neither - give me a light 180 with the Horton cuff and no VGs any day.

My 52 cub with stock wings would roll off on a wing and keep your feet busy when the stall broke
With micros it mushes wing level with the stick back against the stop. In slow flight it feels solid compared before the micros went on.
The difference before and after was pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back