• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Are PA-12 throttle handles longer than PA-18s?

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I need a rear throttle for my 12, the last owner removed it. Somebody has a box of assorted throttle handles, but some are longer.
Were the 12s throttles longer? Would the front and rear be the same size and design? So I could just copy the front throttle...

Measure the distance from the knob to the pivot and to the hole for the connecting rod on your front throttle. Look through that box for one that matches. Then the throw on your rear throttle will match the front one.

Check for full travel on both throttles in both directions before flying. I was flying my brothers 18 from the back seat and I couldn't get idle below 900rpm. After we landed discovered that the cover acted as a stop. Front throttle worked fine.

Glenn

The box of parts is 90 miles north and I am doing it over the phone. My front throttle is about 6 3/4 inches from the shaft to the bend for the ball. The front and back mounting shafts are 24 inches apart. The frame back by the rear throttle is higher than the frame edge by the front throttle. Thus my wondering is the back was supposed to be longer...

I just verified the throttle handles on my -12. The aft handle dimensions agree with the ones shown on the drawing from Christian Sturms site http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/main.aspx for 41491-3
The forward one is the same as 41491-2. These are also listed in Univair as those part numbers as for the PA-12 where the 14191-0 is for the J-3, PA-11 and PA-18 (and J-5).

The aft handle is an inch longer than the front handle from the top bend to the threaded end.

Wayne

Back