• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2021 Valdez Fly In May 29-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprax

FOUNDER
Hi all
Here is the preliminary schedule for the 2021 Valdez Fly In. The event is going to be similar to past years without the indoor activities like pilot forums and the awards banquet. Gary Ward is going to be coming up for aerobatics again along with Scott Sexton. We will have the C-46 demo from Everts and a DC-3 from Desert Air. There is a large minus tide on Saturday morning so there will be lots of beach for the Bonfire on the Beach. The STOL competition will be Saturday afternoon. The balloon bust and flower bombing will be Sunday along with the full airshow.

Valdez Airport does fall under the national TSA Mask mandate. No one is very happy about this from State DOT on down. As a condition of using the airport we are going to have to require that everyone has a mask to get into the fly in. I know it makes no sense, I know we are outdoors, it makes even less sense for people who have gotten the vaccine but here we are. If masks are your hill to die for then we will see you in 2022. Not being rude, it is just something that we are going to have to do.

If you get in Friday we will have a bar-b-que at my hangar starting around 6:30. We are looking forward to seeing you all.

On an average year, given the weather is good, how many planes participate in the poker run on Friday?

Too bad about the mask policy, see you in 2022 if we’re not still wearing face diapers.

We are looking forward to being at the show!! Thanks for all the effort you guys/gals put out to make it happen!!!
DENNY

Hello all! As much as I hate being told I have to wear a mask, I get it. Fully vaccinated and getting on just fine, I’m also not going to alter what I do or want to do because DC, TSA, or anyone else tells me I can’t unless I have a mask on. I work on this airport here in Fairbanks and have to wear one at work. It’s an inconvenience, PITA, all of it. Still have to work, mask or no. So I’ll be happy enough to show up in Valdez, glad for the fact that we can all get together, HAVE AN AIRSHOW THIS YEAR, help out with the care and exhibition of the C-46, and grumpily yet dutifully step through the hoop and wear my mask.
MAYBE we can step the old mask thing up a notch and have a prize for showing up with the most original aviation oriented mask at the show. Might make some happier about having to wear the things. Just a thought.

OzAK
Mike Osborne
Fairbanks

Just spent two days at The Alaska Airmans Show in Palmer had a great time NO MASK REQUIRED it was awesome . See you in 2022 as long as you don’t require mask outdoors .

I refuse to wear a mask.

Just spent two days at The Alaska Airmans Show in Palmer had a great time NO MASK REQUIRED it was awesome. See you in 2022 as long as you don’t require mask outdoors .

I was going to bring my grandson for first time this year. We won't be coming. Its about time we stand up and say no to this bullshit mask mandate. Especially outside. Masks outside makes no sense and I will not comply.

Calvin Brandt

I was going to bring my grandson for first time this year. We won't be coming. Its about time we stand up and say no to this bullshit mask mandate. Especially outside. Masks outside makes no sense and I will not comply.

Calvin Brandt

First, Calvin, a wholehearted welcome to this site! I hope you’ve been enjoying and learning all it has to offer. Second, just know I’m not picking on you though it may start to seem that way and I do apologize for that. Bear with me please.

Sigh. 2020 was a long year. Everyone has felt the pinch in one way or another. In my post above I was more than pleased that we are far enough through this mess that we can even have an airshow. I’m sure there’s plenty that agree with that. Masks outdoors? It was ridiculous from the beginning and it’s ridiculous now, plus folks are far smarter about this now than early on. Not here to and not going to preach about any of that. We’ve all learned a lot and learned that masks work very well and what we need to do. Look no further than the number of cases of the flu that were recorded last year among many others. The flu season that wasn’t. Not all credit to masks mind you but a combo of behavior changes and masking works. Anyway, enough there.

No, the point here is it saddens me that we’ve come far enough through this and yet are now pi$$ed off
enough at a small simple piece of cloth that helped save so many that some are willing to deny a child, themselves, their families, friends, competition opportunity, et al, the opportunity to experience what has always been a terrific airshow and a fabulous time because of it.

Problem is, from a federal government officials pov, no one cares or will even notice anyone staying away because of said mandate. In that vein, they win. I’m not willing to give that satisfaction. If the “protest” is loud enough about the mask issue or people show up and refuse to wear one, “THEY” don’t care enough to do anything other than view events like this as a hassle for them and just shut it down for good.

Everyone loses.

THAT is a tragedy far worse than any masking that I’m REALLY not willing to lend satisfaction to!
If bringing a kid or anyone new or even Valdez die hards to this event gives them their first or even their tenth blast of excitement into the aviation world and leads to what may turn into a lifelong love for or career in all things aviation, why would any of us not do that in spite of whatever mandates someone has laid down with obviously not enough real forethought?

Sheeple I am not. I’m as independent an Alaskan as a person gets I’ll have to say. Wear a mask? Not very high on my list, trust me. However if it provides me the privilege of introducing my five grandkids into this aviation world then count me in. They’ll be there enjoying the show. That in itself is a good enough reason that figuratively, for me anyway, raises our collective middle fingers to those that would have us wear masks outdoors just because we happen to be on the side of the fence that says we have to. The intent here is to show up and enjoy the gathering in spite of that.
I will also make it clear here that your right to be pizzed off and the voice to express that sentiment is as sacred to me as it is to you. Whatever you choose, have a great weekend doing it. Hope you decide to come see the show and that we get weather good enough to have it. You’ll find me to yell at hanging around at times at, and possibly wiping some oil off of the Everts C-46.

Cheers, Oz

Last edited:
A reminder that it is the government that has this mandate, not the organizers of the event. It’s been a tough year plus for anyone trying to hold an event anywhere. Piling on the organizers about it rather than the folks actually requiring it, does not help or change the situation.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
SJ it is a federal mandate

Because it is an airport and falls under transportation. Regardless of who is mandating it, it’s not the organizers idea so beating them up about it on here does not help anyone.

IMG_0191.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Yep, Federal mandate as circled by SJ, just being reiterated by the City of Valdez. No one has to like it and griping about it won’t change a thing. If this subject was a volleyball in Valdez, it’s been back and forth across the net 10K times between all players involved. Just gonna show up with my mask and enjoy being able to.

Oz

I believe some are missing the point of our fellow listers' comments. I don't really see anyone bashing the organizers of this event. In every case I perceive it to be a condemnation of the mandatory nature of masks. I didn't see anyone say anything against the organizers. The posts are railing against being required to endorse something that the poster believes is stupid or pointless. I have to say I agree with them, but that's not something this list will ever meaningfully impact. In this instance saying you're not attending because you don't agree with the mask mandate - or you don't choose to lend credence to it by your attendance and compliance - is perfectly valid. I'd like to suggest that we embrace our friends with this opinion - even if - or especially if - we disagree. How boring a place would it be if we all had exactly the same opinion on everything?

How boring a place would it be if we all had exactly the same opinion on everything?

HA! clearly you have not been around here long if you think that is at all likely :p

I don't see much productive being added to this thread given the recent posts. I do hope Valdez is well attended for all the hard work the organizers have gone to to make it happen.

sj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back