• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Arkansas

Flyingde

NC
I apologize if this is in the wrong place. We are planning a flying camping trip to Arkansas from NC this Summer. The legend of Gaston's is the draw where we will spend a night or two but looking for other sightseeing flying, landing, and camping destinations. Anything 1500 ft turf or longer is good. The goal is to never get in a car so walkable restaurants, provisions, and booze a plus. Where should we go?

Byrd's Adventure Center is great. Richland Creek and Trigger Gap are great camping spots as well. Lots of amazing scenery.

I second all the recommendations from Steve. Have been to them myself and they are great. I would also add that if you haven't checked out the FLYOZ website, you really should and don't be afraid to call them up and talk to them directly. They are based out of Bentonville (VBT) and have been spending a lot of time and energy in promoting Ozark Backcounty Flying. They are affiliated with the RAF Airfield Guide and I believe they list no fewer than 60 spots within 100 miles of Bentonville and Gastons.

Lastly, if you find yourself wanting to explore Beaver Lake or Eureka Springs, I have always found Carrol County (4m1) to be a great stop. It's not backcountry, but they keep about 4 courtesy cars available and are about a 10 mile drive to Eureka Springs which is a great town to explore. Just be sure to call them up before you depart as they can get busy during the summer months.

Good luck, with your trip!

Feel free to call me to discuss. I fly a PA12-150 out of Fort Smith, Arkansas. Happy to help.
(Four79) Four20-Eight884

For my "real job", I work here in Bentonville with all the airstrips (and the backcountry training program). A couple things you really want to do:

Check out https://www.flyoz.com and if you are a Foreflight user, download the Content Pack for the area before coming down here. Lots of great information about the strips including mapping important noise sensitive areas near the strips.

Also, the https://airfield.guide (the basis for the content pack) has all kinds of information and videos about these strips, if you can land there or not without permission, etc.

Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email as well, I'm happy to give you a briefing on the area. Much like your neck of the woods, almost all of these strips are private land not BLM / Game and Fish land so stewardship, noise abatement, etc is important.

I spent a good part of yesterday at Trigger Gap (17A) working on a weather station project and watching a bunch of well organized volunteers build the awesome new pavillion there. There is also a composting toilet and shelter going in a Richland (4AR9) this week.

sj

trig1.png
trig2.png
trig3.png

Attachments

• trig1.png
    trig1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
  • trig2.png
    trig2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • trig3.png
    trig3.png
    875.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. It’s going to be a father/son trip with my father and I (in our cough cough Husky) as well as some neighbors in their 185. Trying to decide on going west to Arkansas or towards the NE again like we did a few years ago. I think they are leaning on heading towards Arkansas to explore and check out the area. Once it firms up I may contact you guys for more detailed info.

Last edited:
Do talk to Steve about it. Trigger Gap is beautiful. But when I go next, it'll be to see how things are progressing at Sugar Creek. That approach to runway 10, "miss the longhorn cattle and fly between the trees," is as much fun as you'll find anywhere.

Back