• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Easy Way to Cut Open an Oil Filter

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
[FONT=&quot]I always hated cutting open oil filters for inspection. Even had to make a trip to the emergency room for stitches once. My friend Jon Delamarter showed me this handy trick that makes it pretty easy.[/FONT]

I like this one. One of my helpers exceeded it's design limits and they sent me new bushing and special shouldered screws for free.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/fc2000oilCutter.php

Put it to good use last week when I noticed a few small flakes. Cleaned the paper media in a jug of Avgas and then ran my magnet around in the jug. Another cam and tappet set. Ouch.
View attachment 55501

I use that same cutter.... even uses it a few time on the car filter..

Latest engine making metal here is an 0-300 Continental... weird cylinder walls, looks like chrome is coming off..

70997a5022213d51af8ac35193bfa092.jpg

Pic from the bore scope... several areas like this one... haven’t pulled it yet..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest engine making metal here is an 0-300 Continental... weird cylinder walls, looks like chrome is coming off..

Good find, Brian, now that's a solid argument for routine borescoping. Did any cylinder wall debris show up in the filter? Please let us know what further investigation turns up.

Thanks. cubscout

Back