• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Registering new airstrip with FAA

Marz

Hi. Creating an airstrip on a farm in the Catskills and hope you can point me to other threads that discuss how best to approach the FAA to register. Thanks in advance.

Has it been approved by the local municipality, State? That's typically the first step. Once those permits are in order the FAA's acceptance is mostly a formality.

Be patient, for one thing, it'll be like watching paint dry. At least it won't cost anything.....I finally got my ranch strip back on the charts after several years of advising them I had moved to a new location less than a mile away. I don't recall the start of the process, it was so long ago! Government bureaucracy at it's finest, was my experience. It is pretty cool though to pick up a chart, or being elsewhere and be able to point out your place to others. Says the "airport manager" of 1ID9.

One of my finest aviation moments was meeting the late Joe Clark, and us trying to outdo each other while bragging about our strips, his being a bit longer and wider than mine. 0ID2

Last edited:
It is pretty cool though to pick up a chart, or being elsewhere and be able to point out your place to others. Says the "airport manager" of 1ID9.

I just looked it up. Pretty cool notation in magenta: 5640 04

Probably don't get a lot of Bonanzas calling ahead.

Be patient, for one thing, it'll be like watching paint dry. At least it won't cost anything.....I finally got my ranch strip back on the charts after several years of advising them I had moved to a new location less than a mile away. I don't recall the start of the process, it was so long ago! Government bureaucracy at it's finest, was my experience. It is pretty cool though to pick up a chart, or being elsewhere and be able to point out your place to others. Says the "airport manager" of 1ID9.

One of my finest aviation moments was meeting the late Joe Clark, and us trying to outdo each other while bragging about our strips, his being a bit longer and wider than mine. 0ID2

I have you in my flight plan for June 21st, I will do a fly over on my way to KSMN to do a day of mountain flying with Dick Williams. I will drop down and give you a low flyover :)

Hi. Creating an airstrip on a farm in the Catskills and hope you can point me to other threads that discuss how best to approach the FAA to register. Thanks in advance.
Fill out FAA Form 7480-1. Submit to your local FAA Airports Division. Wait.

Last edited:
Like was said above, VERIFY your local zoning requirements and/or limitations first.
Although this is good advice, it should be noted it is NOT an FAA requirement. You are not "registering" your airport with the FAA. When you submit Form 7480-1 you are initiating an AIRSPACE study. This process is detailed in FAA Order 7400.2. There is nothing in that Order that requires local inspection, etc. prior to, or after submitting. If anyone from the FAA tells you it's required demand they show you that in writing. (I am not saying you don't have to hop through their hoops, I'm saying the FAA determination is decided by FAA guidance, not local ordinances). For private use airports there are also no FAA requirements to build the airport to any standard. It is RECOMMENDED the airport be built to FAA standards but not required. The primary concern the FAA has on private use airports is conflicting traffic pattern airspace with any neighboring airports. Again, it's an Airspace Study.

Last edited:
As a note, the FAA recommends you submit Form 7480-1 PRIOR to building your strip. That way, if there is a traffic pattern conflict realigning your proposed runway may eliminate the conflict.

Last edited:
Marz;

The best thing I found when starting up Red Owl here was that the State of Nevada has a Department of Aviation, and that guy ( okay the department is one guy) was willing and able to help me in so much of the process. So check with your state and see if they might have a similar thing. The whole process was basically just paperwork. It was really easy - if not quick. Getting on the sectional was even slower - just so you know.

And I do recall them making a point of asking about county approval. Fortunately I live in the wild west where there IS no county approval for anything. No building codes - nothing. It's live and let live. The FAA guy told me that the county approval question was part of the airspace survey- in as much as their approval removes from the FAA's plate any possible conflict with the local jurisdiction. My opinion is you'd be foolish to omit checking with the local and state officials first. They can make your life very unpleasant and effectively make your field useless if they want to. Don't tick them off! Find out what you need to do to make them happy first, then mess with the FAA.

Basically just keep doing what you did here - ask people. Eventually they will be no one left to ask and no paperwork left to fill out - and you'll have a legit field. Until then remember you can use it even without all that - and it would probably be a good idea to do so. That way any potential "neighbor" issues can surface and be resolved before the officials get involved.

Just my opinion and worth every cent you paid for it. Best of luck with it. Please keep us up to date as you go through the process.

Although this is good advice, it should be noted it is NOT an FAA requirement. You are not "registering" your airport with the FAA. When you submit Form 7460-1 you are initiating an AIRSPACE study. This process is detailed in FAA Order 7400.2. There is nothing in that Order that requires local inspection, etc. prior to, or after submitting. If anyone from the FAA tells you it's required demand they show you that in writing. (I am not saying you don't have to hop through their hoops, I'm saying the FAA determination is decided by FAA guidance, not local ordinances). For private use airports there are also no FAA requirements to build the airport to any standard. It is RECOMMENDED the airport be built to FAA standards but not required. The primary concern the FAA has on private use airports is conflicting traffic pattern airspace with any neighboring airports. Again, it's an Airspace Study.

Not sure why you singled me out but yes I understand the regs. well, having done many airspace studies and won a very significant case with the FAA. My point was to verify the local land use jurisdiction did not have a prohibition or planning action required before any other effort$ were expended. Why because there are many oh crap stories on this site and others for those who didn't and were stopped or had significant legal challenges. As for my strip, yes I confirmed my AG Zoning and Use-by-Right status for an airstrip before I purchased the property.

With respect to what you may think the FAA can and can't do, I would suggest you practice you kicking and screaming because they can and often do contact the local jurisdiction for confirmation because an airspace study will not catch land issues which could impact the safety so yes they check.

With respect to what you may think the FAA can and can't do, I would suggest you practice you kicking and screaming because they can and often do contact the local jurisdiction for confirmation because an airspace study will not catch land issues which could impact the safety so yes they check.
I wasn't trying to single you out for anything other than your good advise to verify your local ordnances first. Obviously if you want an airport in Oz you have to comply with the rules of Oz. But Oz does not regulate the National Airspace. The FAA does. My point is the proponent of an airport should understand what the FAA is allowed to do in regards to their proposal. If you picked were you're filing well, you will not be dealing with any government agency pertaining to your airport proposal other than the FAA. FAA AC 150/5300-13A describes airport design and is used by most, if not all, state aviation authorities as a standard for THEIR approval. You will note this is an AC. AC are advisory. This AC becomes federally mandatory if you are building a Public Use Airport that accepts federal funding. The FAA has no authority to require a private airport to meet those standards. They will often confer with the locals and make RECOMENDATIONS based on their findings but they will be just that, recommendations. They only have the authority to find your proposal objectionable base on airspace conflicts. This FAA airport proposal process is not without several glitches (private seaplane bases especially) and is not well understood by many within FAA. If you know the standards the FAA MUST use, kicking and screaming will not be required. Your local authorities, that's another story. I do not believe any state or local authority checks for traffic pattern conflicts. It would be very unfortunate to build an airport (the runway) to the standards of your local aviation authority only to have the FAA find the proposal objectionable because of an airspace issue.

Last edited:
Back