Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New landing gear tracking?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gear jig. Factory gear drops right in it and the bolts push right in. I also have a set of heavy duty Univair Super Cub gear. If either one can help you let me know.

Just something to throw out there, fuselage fittings bend easily and not all new fuselages are straight.

They said some one must have made a hard landing in my plane and damaged the fuselage. Not likely as it was built with an Alaskan modification to strengthen the gear attach points and the entire fuselage is 4130.
    The only gear fitting mod I know of is the heavy duty front fittings and those are from Airframes.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RCharles View Post
    Talked to Univair today and they assured me that the jig they use is spot on......
    Would you expect them to say anything else?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    If you have a way to hoist the airplane or even if you don't use long bolts in the gear and then measure between the front gear attach bolts and the rear attach bolts and make sure your fuselage at the gear fitting is square. Gear fitting can get tweaked just like gear.
    OK,Checked the gear attach points and all spot on. Also checked the left gear leg by running a laser light down the front of the left forward gear leg and out the axle as suggested by the Univair folks and the axle is out of alignment so far that the laser point is not visible on the end of the axle. Showing a large toe out that confirms all our other tests.Doing the same test on my old gear the laser line runs straight out the center of the axle showing that the axle has no toe in or out but is straight tracking as it should be and like Univair claims their jig to be set.They have not once in all our conversations mention that there is a chance the jig they used is out of alignmemt .Up to this point they have been trying to tell me that the plane has been through a hard landing and the fuselage is bent or some other problem that has caused this.Maybe even damaged in shipment? Really? Be careful folks and I have learned my lesson and do not have some one cover your gear until you have checked them out mounted and tracked .
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    First, once you present them with actual evidence, I am sure they will make it good.

Second, the laser idea sounds great. Tell us more - you align the pointer along the forward edge of the gear leg and look for parallel? How does the pointer disappear behind the axle? Can you post the photos that you will send to Univair, showing the laser test?

Hot digs - I am testing my spare gear leg as soon as I figure this out! Mine may have been tweaked during a horrific ground loop - very faint wrinkes in the fabric. Other side was demolished, so we replaced both. Not my airplane; I just did a lot of the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Place the laser on the top of the forward gear leg and shoot down the center of the tube. The axle is just an extension of the forward gear leg.Now you will have to jockey the laser here a little to get it onto the axle but you will see how it will run straight on out the the center of the axle if it is jiged at zero degrees no toe in or out.I think this is a fool proof way to tell what you have.I wanted to take a video of this but do not know haw to post it .If that line is left or right as it goes out the axle you will see whether it is toed left or right iE forward or back from roughly 90 dgrees in relation to the center line of your plane...Now you must have the weel assembly removed...
    Last edited by RCharles; 05-26-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it! I shall try tomorrow. I will take the camera. Neat! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried with a pointer. The torque plate flange stops the laser (of course). Then I stretched a string and sighted down that. Looks ok.
    Apparently there are lasers that are planar, as opposed to "spot." That is probably what Univair meant, but I would guess there is more to it than just turning the laser on. It would have to be clamped exactly vertical.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a laser mounted on a tripod and fully adjustable for laying out straight lines for painting. It can lay a vertical or horizontal line or anything in between. Would work great for this gear examination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the best way I know how to check gear alignment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    1.We have determined that the left gear is toed out and the right is toed in.
    Measured at 70 inches ahead of the wheel the left is about 2 3/8 inches further from the center line than the right wheel.
    2 .The right wheel is toed in very slightly at about 1/2 inch we think and that is ok.
    3.I am gong to jig the new left gear before removing it and then see if the old gear will fit in that jig.I expect that it will not. If it does then I will be sure we have entered the "twilight Zone" ....
    4.The old gear will be hung from the same mounts that the new just came off of and have flown on the airplane for 1300+ hrs without pulling to the left!
    5.I plane to then return the gear Univair and request that they replace at least the left gear that is jigged true and straight.And I will verify same before I cover it!
    Last edited by RCharles; 06-14-2021 at 03:19 PM.