Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New landing gear tracking?

Post Thanks / Like

New landing gear tracking?

How should the wheels be installed on a stock L21B with 800x6 tires so as to have the plane track straight with the tail wheel centered? Just installed new Univair stock gear and taxing everything feels fine but at landing speed touchdown the plane wants to feel as though it has gotten a gust of wind from the right requiring control inputs to stop the drift to the left . The nose is being held pointing straight down the runway but the plane still feels as though it is being blown by a wind from the right until it slows down with breaking...should the wheels be parallel,toed in ,toed out,or what? Or does the pilot just need some dual instruction? Help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try landing on the opposite runway and see if it’s tracking or wind.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's supposed to be a little challenging, otherwise everyone would be doing it ;- )

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Joe McMillen liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Parallel. Take a simple tape meaure and check front center and back center. On your tires any toe in more than about 3/4" will give you trouble. Much better to have less than 1/2" difference, but zero is the desired.
    Likes Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Parallel. Take a simple tape meaure and check front center and back center. On your tires any toe in more than about 3/4" will give you trouble. Much better to have less than 1/2" difference, but zero is the desired.
    Thanks Bob , I thought that would be the answer but now confirmed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that 1/2" toe in on 31" Dessers was a bear. How did the plane react prior to the gear swap? When I repair fuselages we weld the gear fittings on with them parallel.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The issue with Cub style gear is there is no adjustment possible unless bending the axles is possible?? I have heard of folks putting a long pipe over the axle and adjusting the toe in by carefully bending the axle with the long pipe. Is this an accepted practice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kite View Post
    The issue with Cub style gear is there is no adjustment possible unless bending the axles is possible?? I have heard of folks putting a long pipe over the axle and adjusting the toe in by carefully bending the axle with the long pipe. Is this an accepted practice?
    That's basically the practice--most use heat. But I don't think it is the axle you are bending. It's the tubes attached to the axle that actually bend a little.

Heating up the axle itself sounds like an opening to all sorts of troubles. My opinion only, based on making landing gear for my homebuilt.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What RV said! I have a similar issue that we looked at exactly as you described and came to the same conclusion as above. No predictable way to control the bending site!

Post Thanks / Like

tramcking

[Q
    iIs there a way to shim the wheel angle at the attach point some way. to move it left or right.plane has double puck Cleveland breaks .?

UOTE=Kid Durango;803076]What RV said! I have a similar issue that we looked at exactly as you described and came to the same conclusion as above. No predictable way to control the bending site![/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RCharles View Post
    Just installed new Univair stock gear and taxing everything feels fine but at landing speed touchdown the plane wants to feel as though it has gotten a gust of wind from the right requiring control inputs to stop the drift to the left .
    How did the plane react prior to the gear swap? Was the gear the only thing changed?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Steve Pierce;803155]How did the plane react prior to the gear swap? Was the gear the only thing changed?
    [/QUOTE

that was all that was done.checked today and showed 1/4 inch toe in at front of tires with tape measure.Hit or miss. Question is ,what direction are the headed in...maybe both slightly left? Time for a laser I guess'

Post Thanks / Like
    Snap a line down the center from the spinner tip to the tail post, clamp a straight edge to the brake discs and measure 40" forward of the axle center. .350 inch difference to the center line at 40 inches is .5 degrees toe in which I find is perfect. Heating the cluster is the only way to go, get it cherry red and let it cool slowly. PIA but well worth the effort, it will change the ground handling dramatically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 58.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	55528
    Likes bcone1381, Farmboy liked this post