Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft Spruce shipping charges

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crash, Jr.;803219]Sounds like you ordered such a small order you couldn't justify the shipping cost. On the other hand they might have been able to get the shipping lower if they had really hunted around for best shipping price but why would they do that on a $10 order for bolts? The shipping person's time would have cost more than your total order.

Why might they try harder? Because posts like this one read by someone like me pisses me off. Build your profit and overhead into the product cost and let me decide to buy or not. Don't screw me on the final end just because. Actual shipping cost and the effort to provide options is what I remember about the transaction. Last impressions are often more valuable than the first to me.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!
    Likes hotrod180, 8GCBC, Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iflylower View Post
    Get a fedex acct. and ask them to ship it under your specifications “ground/air/2 day/etc. on your acct number. (Actual cost, and maybe a discount.). I do this all the time.

maybe this can be done with USPS?
    That is how my Univair account is set up, they use my FedEx account.
    I have noticed oversize packaging has gone up considerably lately.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NunavutPA-12 View Post
    We never use the parcel carriers here. They are way too expensive compared to Canada Post.

I did contact them. I got the expected (stock) answer and when I rebutted their argument they did not respond again.

In the days when a company had to actually put stamps on the package it was easy to see what they had paid for postage and compare that to what you were charged. But now, Canada Post just attaches a sticker that does not show the amount paid. But, when received, I can ask the postmistress to weigh the package and tell me what the company had actually paid. Invariably, in the case of Aircraft Spruce, the amount I'm charged is about four times their actual cost.
    When I don't get anywhere with people that answer the phone I go up the chain of command. I use to order from Spruce on my account and requested FedEx shipping because it was here in 2 days from GA vs 3 days via UPS. We went round and round because they kept shipping UPS and when you are waiting on parts an extra day it clogs up the work flow. A higher up told me they had to wait till CA opened to get the ok to charge my account for my order and by the time they did that FedEx was gone. Sounded like BS to me and I figured I could use my credit card and they could eat the 2%. Sent Jim Irwin (owner of AC Spruce) an email with all the details. He responded and let me know his employee was not truthful with me, my account was now flagged FedEx unless I specified otherwise and if I had any more issues don't hesitate to let him know. I never had another issue.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Southern Aero liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly, my problems with excessive freight charges are due to two factors; first, my "remote" location (who is "remote" these days? We get mail five times a week, jet service almost daily, I'm using this thing called "internet", etc.)

The second factor, and apparently this is not a problem for many others, is the outright gouging of Aircraft Spruce. Where is the justification for charging $63 when the actual cost of postage is about $17?

Yes, it was a small order, and if Spruce would use the available flat-rate shipping boxes that are available from Canada Post, I'd fill the box, even with stuff I don't need if that would make them happy.

Edit: I have contacted a rep at AS, three weeks ago, and was promised that my concern would be directed to Jim Irwin, but nobody has contacted me since.

Fedex and UPS are WAY more expensive than Canada Post - like two or three times the cost. Not an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always wondered how it is that you can order something from China and it will have free shipping and arrive quicker than if it had been ordered from Los Angeles or Philadelphia. Anyone know how that works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboflying View Post
    I have always wondered how it is that you can order something from China and it will have free shipping and arrive quicker than if it had been ordered from Los Angeles or Philadelphia. Anyone know how that works?
    I'm not sure but I'm guessing that the Chinese get some sort of flat-rate shipping. In my case, that would be to "Canada", whereas a supplier in Ontario is faced with various postage rates to different parts of the country. Postage to me would be fairly steep compared to the generic rate that the Chinese get. Even though I dislike buying from China, the free shipping is very attractive, even if I have to wait a month or two for the article.

I doubt they can supply quality AN-type hardware, but if they did I'd be a customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had trouble with Spruce also. They are not the only ones. Ordered two Cowl Bumps from Wag Aero. All of 10 ounces. Came in small box. Cost of shipping $26.30! Geez!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0512211048.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	55585
    Charles Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it hard to believe that a guy living in the Canadian Arctic hasn't had shipping problems before. Alaskans are used to high shipping rates. If I shop on the internet I'll look at multiple vendors and the shipping is usually what sells the order. That was true with Spruce before they opened here. If I had a choice between Chief, Skygeek, and Spruce? Spruce usually got the order. How does Spruce deal with customs when shipping to Canada?

Heck, lots of internet companies won't ship to Alaska because they only ship to the USA. Go figure!

I don't know what you other business owners do but my shop labor cost is $125 per hour. If a guy has to package something and make a shipping record? Somebody's paying for his time. Whether it's built into the material price or added as a shipping cost? The customer is paying for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    How does Spruce deal with customs when shipping to Canada?
    They don't. Aircraft Spruce Canada has a warehouse in Brantford, Ontario so customs and freight charges from the US are already embedded in their prices.

I doubt that many people would consider that paying $63 for "shipping" when the actual cost is $17 is fair. The employees time to package, etc. - that should be factored into the advertised price.

It reminds me of the days when I worked for the Hudson's Bay Company. "Item cost + freight = "cost-landed" x %mark-up = sale price". So they were making a profit on the item and another profit on the freight. Good business practice? I guess if you're a shareholder - no problem!
    Last edited by NunavutPA-12; 05-12-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good business practice? Absolutely. Freight is an expense. It costs money to process. A business needs to mark it up to cover costs.

What I don't understand about most of this thread? If I order from Spruce and choose home delivery I get three shipping options. UPS Ground, UPS air, and Priority Mail, and all three options are priced. No surprises. I don't care what the actual cost is. If I accept the price so that's what I agree to pay.
    Last edited by stewartb; 05-12-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Likes irishfield liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I contact Spruce directly if there is an issue (and not post complaints until I talk with Irwin). They seem to work very closely with customers and resolve problems.

I capsized my Yamaha FXHO last weekend, in the ocean, and damaged the MFD... Ordered from Partzilla, really amazing, great service.

$40 for overnight Georgia to Hawaii. Excellent!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2873722D-DEC1-4947-BAD6-EBDC07EAE2B3.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	55588
    Last edited by 8GCBC; 05-12-2021 at 11:51 PM.
    2018 R44
    IA/A&P, ATP, SES, CFII, MEI, Rotor PPL (2500 TT)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI48e1heuo
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not Spruces fault but typical of the USPS lately. I’ve had regular mail take 16 days when it took 3 in the past. Ordered stuff from Spruce that was shipped on the 11th from Corona, CA. Arrived Anaheim the 12th and left the 13th. On the 14th it hit Eugene and then Portland (16 miles from me) and then to Oklahoma City. From there it went to Moreno Valley, CA. and Los Angeles on the 17th. So in seven days it is back where it started. We’ll see how many cities it hits before it gets to me. Frustrating, especially since the part I ordered has been on back order for five months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Not Spruces fault but typical of the USPS lately. I’ve had regular mail take 16 days when it took 3 in the past. Ordered stuff from Spruce that was shipped on the 11th from Corona, CA. Arrived Anaheim the 12th and left the 13th. On the 14th it hit Eugene and then Portland (16 miles from me) and then to Oklahoma City. From there it went to Moreno Valley, CA. and Los Angeles on the 17th. So in seven days it is back where it started. We’ll see how many cities it hits before it gets to me. Frustrating, especially since the part I ordered has been on back order for five months.
    I am experiencing the opposite these days - USPS is routinely early. I just had some oil arrive in 2 days shipped from other side of the country first class mail. UPS on the other hand, is taking a week to go 1000 miles. The local center is placing packages on indefinite hold as they claim they are 'swamped.' Amazon shipped something UPS and after the indefinite hold, UPS decided to send the package to the other side of the country. So, 3 weeks later, still no package. You realize stuff shipped faster in the 1800s, right? I am experiencing about 50% yield on UPS packages.

Post Thanks / Like
    shipping to labrador is expensive as well, I have same problem $10 worth of hardware costing almost 10x that by the time its in my hands. spruces shipping calculator is strange at best, I check the shipping cost every time I add an item because sometimes 1 item will send the cost to the moon. I've also played around and at times it was upwards of $100 total cheaper in shipping to place 2 separate orders splitting up the shipping. shipping was also the reason I switched to 20w50, when shell switched the case from 12 to 6 quarts the shipping cost for 2 cases of shell ( 12 bottles) was same as 2 cases of phillips ( 24 bottles), that has since changed last time I checked but I haven't switched back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will never complain about Spruces shipping again.
    Put a new wood stove that I happen to have on a pallet then called for a freight pick up to send from CA to Kasilof, AK. Nope, not gonna do that, I'll fill a 20' container instead. Finally realized I was preparing to ship a pile of stuff I don't use in CA to AK where I would not likely use it much as well. Ordered a new woodstove locally and complained about shipping to my co-workers. One of them repeated to me what I say often "If you're gonna run with big dogs, learn to pee in tall grass".
    I forget that everything goes up and when I look at our invoices for annuals and small jobs, it is surprising that our customers can afford to operate their planes. We can't charge any less and still be here. Humbling thought and a realization that I am not seeing the forest through the trees sometimes.
    Ramblings of a short-timer.
    Ken