• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rotax running rough

astjp2

Utah/Alaska
Had a rotax at work that had a weird vibration, reset the adjustable prop pitch, multiple carb syncing, still issues. I pulled the top and found this:

this is the second rotax I have had to top in a little over a month. Now I just need some rotax training!

Attachments

• 55173334-A55A-4DA2-AA00-DE909ED772B8.jpg
    55173334-A55A-4DA2-AA00-DE909ED772B8.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 147
Looks like the same stuff you find in gas tanks when ethanol gas turns to varnish. Like corn starch dried up. Was it running mogas?

100ll is what this airplane primarily runs. Hal is a great guy, but we have 35 airplanes with rotax's in them for hire so I get the major engine work and Hal sticks to the individual owners world.

Are you using a lead scavenger? Plugs look clean? I've heard a change of plugs usually straightens out a lead eater. Still have to worry about lead buildup in the tank and can't use synthetic oil. My 912's have never seen lead.

100ll is what this airplane primarily runs. Hal is a great guy, but we have 35 airplanes with rotax's in them for hire so I get the major engine work and Hal sticks to the individual owners world.
Good info. 35 of them puts it in context. I’ll revise my answer....an unleaded fuel farm or O360s is your go to;-)

Yeah we have 13 diamonds with io360m1a’s too. The airplanes with 100ll only has that available at the airport they are based at. It’s about 50 miles away. Our home station has mogas and not as many problems.

hoppes cleaner and an ultrasonic cleaner cleans up the pistons. The head gets blasted with walnut shells, valve seats get cut, new valve seal, lap the valves, lap the head and cylinder, it’s a process.

100 horsepower and heads are held on by only 4 all threads. Amazing!

I am no help with the diagnosis, other than thinking something is in the combustion chamber that should not be...What aircraft are you working with that many Rotax Engines??

I do not know him, I usually just call Brett from LEAF. If you have a good number, please PM it to me.

Skywalker has the number there. Ronnie does factory authorized training. My dad has been twice. He takes everyone from us experimental crowd to the guys who maintain the government drones. He’s the finest kind of a southern gentleman.

Back