• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Third seat option

dwm

Does anyone have an image of the third "seat" of a Super Cub and the modifications that must be made to the second seat so that the third person can pass their legs to the sides of the second?
I know that the third place is small and uncomfortable, but having the possibility of being able to carry two passengers if necessary is something very important for us due to the use that we will give the plane.
Thanks in advance!

A boat seat cushion/PFD comes to my mind, if the boss is generous and the poor sucker in the back is not too tall. Do a search for "Safari Seat". Ever hear of a Trapper Nelson pack frame?

Jim

4A4E776B-EB03-4434-A8B1-6BED4925FD9C.jpg
Here is a picture of an Atlee extended baggage and the extra X that is required to be welded in under the baggage compartment. I leave the seatbelt tabs out and put in cargo tie downs. I don’t think anyone should sit there except in an extreme emergency. Damn near impossible to egress in an emergency. I do however want to be able to load the 180# of cargo.

Attachments

• 4A4E776B-EB03-4434-A8B1-6BED4925FD9C.jpg
    4A4E776B-EB03-4434-A8B1-6BED4925FD9C.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 178
663E2982-8BAF-432E-9367-6A66D012400B.jpg
Also here is a pic of the folding seat back I make. Hinged to fold down over a rear stick seat cover. I move it back a couple of inches.

Attachments

• 663E2982-8BAF-432E-9367-6A66D012400B.jpg
    663E2982-8BAF-432E-9367-6A66D012400B.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 143
Carbon concepts makes a narrow folding seat back that allows the 3rd seaters legs to pass on both sides.
I'm flying Experimental so I made up my own system. I use it regularly. It's better than walking. 20190227_175132.jpeg

Attachments

• 20190227_175132.jpeg
    20190227_175132.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 178
Thank you Jim, I've been checking pics of the Safari seats and they where one of the option.

View attachment 55383
Here is a picture of an Atlee extended baggage and the extra X that is required to be welded in under the baggage compartment. I leave the seatbelt tabs out and put in cargo tie downs. I don’t think anyone should sit there except in an extreme emergency. Damn near impossible to egress in an emergency. I do however want to be able to load the 180# of cargo.

We did the same “X”

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Carbon concepts makes a narrow folding seat back that allows the 3rd seaters legs to pass on both sides.
I'm flying Experimental so I made up my own system. I use it regularly. It's better than walking. View attachment 55384

Hi DJ. What I see is nobody modify the lower part of the second seat so the "third person" can put the feet down in the floor of the airplane. You only narrow the back rest so I imagine the legs of the third person go straight forward like if he is seating on the floor.
In my plane, the second seat lower part is 3 inches higher than the lower part of the baggage area, so probably I will have to make a thick cushion for the third place to make it level so the third person will not have to have the legs upwards.

We've been doing some test with and without the lower part of the seat, to see the option to do that lower part narrower so the third person can rest the legs on the floor. We should check the measures as the idea is to locate the battery and one of the autiopilot servos under the second seat. Take into account the guy in the picture is 6'.1"

Image1619390593.572630.jpg

Attachments

• Image1619390593.572630.jpg
    Image1619390593.572630.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 159
Unless you have a wide body fuselage it will be difficult to even begin to make the 3rd seat pax comfortable. Depending on leg length, ankles and calves hang over the lip down into the 2nd seat foot well and rear stick area. 20190227_174745.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20190227_174745.jpeg
    20190227_174745.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 157
Unless you have a wide body fuselage it will be difficult to even begin to make the 3rd seat pax comfortable. Depending on leg length, ankles and calves hang over the lip down into the 2nd seat foot well and rear stick area. View attachment 55391

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

It’s an standard fuselage. The idea of the third seat is just to use it for occasional rides so even if is not comfortable is worth having the option of taking a second passenger.

It’s an standard fuselage. The idea of the third seat is just to use it for occasional rides so even if is not comfortable is worth having the option of taking a second passenger.

Lots of room. When I use it {rarely} the 3 seat passenger puts their legs into extended baggage. Sits on cushion and seat belt is not used. You could use it but sudden stoppage causes the second seat and bar will stop the person.

Sandy

PS: they usually take a nap.

Does anyone have an image of the third "seat" of a Super Cub and the modifications that must be made to the second seat so that the third person can pass their legs to the sides of the second?
I know that the third place is small and uncomfortable, but having the possibility of being able to carry two passengers if necessary is something very important for us due to the use that we will give the plane.
Thanks in advance!

060FA43D-870D-49F8-AA0A-79DDC7F82F5C.jpg060FA43D-870D-49F8-AA0A-79DDC7F82F5C.jpg
The forward (rear) seat is removable and can be stored in the under back seat storage. A third seat passenger can have their legs pass on either side of the second seat passenger. The seat can also be moved to the side so someone can sit and still have an opening for long items.

The third seat acts to keep stuff from moving aft into the extended baggage. It can also fold flat to be out of the way for long items to extend into the extended baggage area.

Attachments

• 060FA43D-870D-49F8-AA0A-79DDC7F82F5C.jpg
    060FA43D-870D-49F8-AA0A-79DDC7F82F5C.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 157
View attachment 55423View attachment 55423
The forward (rear) seat is removable and can be stored in the under back seat storage. A third seat passenger can have their legs pass on either side of the second seat passenger. The seat can also be moved to the side so someone can sit and still have an opening for long items.

The third seat acts to keep stuff from moving aft into the extended baggage. It can also fold flat to be out of the way for long items to extend into the extended baggage area.

Thank you for thw pictures!. Really nice work, did you make those backrest?.

Back