• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Travel to Alaska through Canada

I doubt it......while traveling in Canada a couple of years ago, happened to have dinner with a group of guys and one of the them was a top administrator for Transport Canada. We had a long conversation about the Basic Med program, and he told us that all the powers that be and especially the medical people where totally against EVER recognizing the program by Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Respectfully folks, If you are not qualified to fly in Canada, DON"T!!!

When Covid hit, Canada was letting folks travel to and from Alaska, but were clear that you could only go direct through, no stoping at parks, no playing along the way. Then people were found camping and vacationing in the Jasper area. Results were they shut the border to only 'essential' travel.

Having pilots knowingly fly into Canada when they don't have proper medical or license will only make it more difficult for the rest of us that actually need to travel through.

It might cost you more money, but plenty of folks are willing to move your plane the two days across Canada.

I never have, and though somewhat tempting to try it if they aren’t checking, I would never actually do it. I don’t want to be breaking the law in ANY foreign country, even Canada. I’ve spent my life following the rules as best I can and it’s too late to change now! I was just curious if they were checking. I have always wondered why they don’t as nit picky as I have found them to be about everything else.

I never have, and though somewhat tempting to try it if they aren’t checking, I would never actually do it. I don’t want to be breaking the law in ANY foreign country, even Canada. I’ve spent my life following the rules as best I can and it’s too late to change now! I was just curious if they were checking. I have always wondered why they don’t as nit picky as I have found them to be about everything else.

This ^^^^^^

I work internationally all over the world (never in Canada) and that absolute last thing I would ever do it jeopardize my somewhat free access to cross international borders.

I agree that fully vaccinated people should not be subjected to the same restrictions as those who are dragging their feet or who choose never to be vaccinated. Only four percent of us Canadians have had two doses so until we get our act together we will continue to be held hostage by the laggards. It sucks, on all kinds of levels. I wish it were otherwise.

When it comes to Basic Med and Sport Pilot (I have a Class 4 med and Rec. Pilot - very similar) I think it's a matter of "you first... no, you first".

Last edited:
I agree that fully vaccinated people should not be subjected to the same restrictions as those who are dragging their feet or who choose never to be vaccinated. Only four percent of us Canadians have had two doses so until we get our act together we will continue to be held hostage by the laggards. It sucks, on all kinds of levels. I wish it were otherwise.

When it comes to Basic Med and Sport Pilot (I have a Class 4 med and Rec. Pilot - very similar) I think it's a matter of "you first... no, you first".

I have been fully vaccinated since April 1st and this afternoon I have to get a PCR test to travel to Denmark tomorrow…. I have had over 30 tests in 2021 already. I had one 18 hour period when I had TWO full scrape the inside back of the skull PCR tests…. Yep, one was a “departure” test and one was an “arrival” test.

The world needs to recognize vaccinated people.

I have been fully vaccinated since April 1st and this afternoon I have to get a PCR test to travel to Denmark tomorrow…. I have had over 30 tests in 2021 already. I had one 18 hour period when I had TWO full scrape the inside back of the skull PCR tests…. Yep, one was a “departure” test and one was an “arrival” test.

Yeah because vaccinated people are more likely to spread it. Sorry friends you've been had, welcome to Tuskegee 2.0, and no it isn't the fighter pilot Tuskegee ride it is the other one that ran from 1932 to 1972.

Yeah because vaccinated people are more likely to spread it. Sorry friends you've been had, welcome to Tuskegee 2.0, and no it isn't the fighter pilot Tuskegee ride it is the other one that ran from 1932 to 1972.
people who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

With ALL due respect, a friend who is a world renowned cancer and virology scientist who I see nearly daily begs to differ with you. But you are entitled to your opinion, but not facts. Sorry to be snippy, but my friend is on the cutting edge of this stuff and I am super tired of all this useless testing, oftentimes 3-4 per week.

As I was told by Canadian authorities at CBSA, the primary reason they do not currently differentiate between vaccinated and non-vaccinated travelers is the relative ease in procuring forged vaccination documents and the relative difficulty in verifying them.

As I was told by Canadian authorities at CBSA, the primary reason they do not currently differentiate between vaccinated and non-vaccinated travelers is the relative ease in procuring forged vaccination documents and the relative difficulty in verifying them.

Sadly this sounds about right

Thanks Jay,

Good point. Even though I am vaccinated (and will bring my card) and theoretically don't need a C19 test as an air-crewman, I am getting a Walgreens PCR test to bring with me. They only recognize the PCR test I believe.

Thanks Jay,

Good point. Even though I am vaccinated (and will bring my card) and theoretically don't need a C19 test as an air-crewman, I am getting a Walgreens PCR test to bring with me. They only recognize the PCR test I believe.

Every country I have traveled to thus far have required PCR tests. I am headed to the airport in a couple of hours with my negative results from yesterday’s test in hand….. $399 later of course. :lol:

I crossed at Coutts on April 28th. Not much drama at customs. I did have to get a test in the parking lot.
They didn't give me any restrictions but apparently they were supposed to. They were more worried about me bringing tobacco in than anything else. I was driving so had to go through the Nazi check point in Watson Lake.
I drove straight through from there. I camped along the way to avoid any issues as well.
I guess they don't have any protocols in place for Americans passing through as i got 3 phone calls a day for 2 weeks wanting to know if i was quarantined...

We have had 2 Beavers ferried up this summer and had to be done by Canadian pilot.
My buddy bought a cub in NC and had it ferried up a couple of weeks ago. They gave the pilot a little grirf but let her through.

Our Supreme Leader now hinting that the border will be open mid-August for vaccinated US citizens.

(Edit: Now open August 9. Not sure what CBSA will require as "proof of vaccination".)

Last edited:
Both borders, that is a pathetic and sick statement from the administration

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Entering Canada after July 9th, supposedly, per link here, no quarantine nor follow up Covid tests are required for fully vaccinated travellers. Yet, yesterday, a friend entering Canada was told by the arrival Canadian customs agent that she has to both quarantine for 14 days and submit follow up Covid tests! Too much leeway for the individual customs agent!

Entering Canada after July 9th, supposedly, per link here, no quarantine nor follow up Covid tests are required for fully vaccinated travellers. Yet, yesterday, a friend entering Canada was told by the arrival Canadian customs agent that she has to both quarantine for 14 days and submit follow up Covid tests! Too much leeway for the individual customs agent!
August 9.

I just drove through Canada to Alaska. If anyone is interested in the details I’ll gladly post them but since this is a flying thread I won’t take up space unless someone asks.

Yes, the link I posted says "August 9th" (sorry for that incorrect link). Canada did change the quarantine & follow up PCR test requirements earlier this month for Canadian residents. Here is the corrected link announcing changes for Canadian residents effective July 5th.

With the Alaska travel season upon us, I added a "Quick Start Guide" to the Customs page at http://fly2ak.com. I also updated the "Canada" page with helpful information regarding RCMP Firearms Information, as well as links to non-resident firearms declaration forms.

Again, for those crossing the border(s) and travelling thru Canada, please let me know of any needed updates. E.g. I recently learned, at least as of a week ago, there is no water, even at the Gazebo, at Watson Lake. And Fort Nelson now has self-service fuel, so no weekend or after hours call-out fees.

Thank you!

Ted

Does anyone have a good link to a format/template for a notarized letter that gives permission from your LLC to allow you to fly the airplane? Like many my airplane is owned through an LLC of which I am the sole member, but as I understand it the Canadians may ask for some kind of proof that I have permission to fly my own plane.

Also, does anyone have any how long it takes to get the customs window sticker from the government? I ordered one a week ago and still haven't seen it, although I got an email saying it was being processed. Are there any alternatives if it doesn't arrive?

Does anyone have a good link to a format/template for a notarized letter that gives permission from your LLC to allow you to fly the airplane? Like many my airplane is owned through an LLC of which I am the sole member, but as I understand it the Canadians may ask for some kind of proof that I have permission to fly my own plane.

I've been flying an LLC owned aircraft for over 20 years without "permission". The only permission I need in USA to fly an aircraft is that I am appropriately rated. Insurance may impose additional requirements but they cannot withhold "permission" only deny coverage.

If this is a Canadian requirement it seems rather strange.

I've been flying an LLC owned aircraft for over 20 years without "permission". The only permission I need in USA to fly an aircraft is that I am appropriately rated. Insurance may impose additional requirements but they cannot withhold "permission" only deny coverage.

If this is a Canadian requirement it seems rather strange.

The letter is an AOPA "recomendation" https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/canada

My current wording in the absence of something better:

To whom it may concern:

__________ LLC hereby grants pilot ___________ permission and authorization to operate, fly, and maintain Cub Crafters CCX-2000 Carbon Cub ________ for all lawful purposes including flights across Canada. This permission and authorization is valid indefinitely without expiry, limitation or restriction.

Attachments

• permission.jpg
    permission.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 54
Back