Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Cabin / Portable High Speed Internet Beta - Tesla in the Sky - Starlink

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    My son bought the hardware and installed it as his house in rural Montana. He quit it after a couple of months. The already available internet through our phone company was more reliable and faster. Perhaps it has improved since then.
    Speaking of "the phone company" I was doing a crane job at the big old Ma Bell building (all brick, no windows, 3 stories, all packed with rows of whatever these things are in the pic) in town a few days ago, and on my way up to the roof got to walk thru the still packed with equipment building. I can't remember the last time I used a hard wired phone, but this place was humming right along, business as usual. Back to satellites....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211109_090615305.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	58345  

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into the Beta a few months back, and could have signed up at the time. (I should have!) When ATT finally admitted they could no longer repair the copper DSL switch that supplies my home with a whopping 2 Mbps service, I signed up for Starlink. $99 deposit (today) toward the ±$400 hardware cost when they have capacity to add you. I'm told late 2022 now for my area. Sigh. I'm paying 2X their rate for a Verizon-based solution (30-50 Mbps) in the interim. I just could not go back to the slow DSL solution.
    Jim Parker
    2007 Rans S-6ES

Post Thanks / Like
    When I signed up a year ago, they said service in my area summer of '21. Then that estimate slid to fall of '21. Now the latest estimate is summer of '22.

Meanwhile, I just cancelled my order for a Tesla truck, which is 2 years late (and counting). I think I see a pattern here.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a interesting tracker for all the satelites https://satellitemap.space/

You easily can see the areas that don't have good coverage yet.

sj
    Last edited by SJ; 11-26-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------