• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich Ground Adjustable Prop

I have labored starting with a XLW starter as well as a friend in his -18 same starter. I have the Gill battery and he has the SBS-16 battery. First blade can be up on compression and have to re-hit the button to turn it over past that and then it seems to go well.
I have been told the XLW starter don't like being strained and this creates issues with them.
I will be looking at the old Prestolite starter as I could use some weight back up front to help with CG and my loading. It is nice to have it set that you really don't need to think about the CG and loading and when flying there is almost no trimming needed when I had it set up before the change of the prop. LOVE this PROP!
Doug

I will be looking at the old Prestolite starter as I could use some weight back up front to help with CG and my loading.
Doug
Like this? Removed from an engine with 130 TT since new for a light weight starter. Surplus to my needs.

20230314_093357.jpg 20230314_093415.jpg

Attachments

• 20230314_093357.jpg
    20230314_093357.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230314_093415.jpg
    20230314_093415.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 87
Put the 800x6 tires on yesterday for the noise test of the Sensenich ground adjustable prop on the 150 and 160 hp Super Cub. FAA is concerned that the 150 might be louder than the 160 hp so we are doing the test on both airplanes. They are also concerned that the big tires might effect the angle at which the airplane climbs over the microphone and that might skew the test results. My job is to fly the Super Cub in a 75 mph climb from 500 feet AGL to 1100 feet AGL and be over the microphone at 1000-1100 feet AGL. I get to work with noise test DER Jack Sledge who has done lots and lots of general aviation prop testing over the years and I am told is great to work with a very knowledgeable. There will also be 3 FAA engineers here to witness the tests.
PXL_20230514_195627597.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_195627597.jpg
    PXL_20230514_195627597.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,149
Steve, Is the prop pitch set to turn 2700 in the climb for the test? Will you be doing a separate climb test with a higher pitch setting? Just curious.

Yes, I did some test runs yesterday and with pitch pin #3 I am 2690-2700 at 75 mph. Not sure if any other tests will be done. This is really just a formality to pacify the FAA.

Put the 800x6 tires on yesterday for the noise test of the Sensenich ground adjustable prop on the 150 and 160 hp Super Cub. FAA is concerned that the 150 might be louder than the 160 hp so we are doing the test on both airplanes. They are also concerned that the big tires might effect the angle at which the airplane climbs over the microphone and that might skew the test results. My job is to fly the Super Cub in a 75 mph climb from 500 feet AGL to 1100 feet AGL and be over the microphone at 1000-1100 feet AGL. I get to work with noise test DER Jack Sledge who has done lots and lots of general aviation prop testing over the years and I am told is great to work with a very knowledgeable. There will also be 3 FAA engineers here to witness the tests.
View attachment 65768

Steve,

Who pays for the 3 FAA folks that are onsite?

From the time the US launched the first satellite into space to putting the first man into space took about three years. Now it takes nearly that long to legally put a plastic prop on the front of a putt putt plane……

I apologize if this has already been stated elsewhere in this thread, but is there a way to get on a pre-order list for this prop? I've been following your progress and definitely want to put one of these on my -18 once they're available.

31 circuits in the 150 hp Super Cub yesterday. Start on a heading towards the microphone at a fixed point at 600 ft AGL and go full power at 75 mph. Record rpm and altitude over the mic where a photo is taken straight up from the ground of the airplane and by measuring the number of pixels the altitude can be determined to back up what was indicated in the cockpit. Low pitch setting (11 degrees) busted the 80 db limit so we went to high pitch and had no issue and then came back to a conservative 12.5 degrees and appears it passed. They have to do some correction factors so will see this morning. Hope to have time to check at 12 degrees after the 160 hp testing today. this low pitch test will determine what the certified low pitch setting will be. I use that low pitch setting in a STOL contest but as soon as you quit pulling on the stick you better be off the power because it will redline. The 150 hp was turning 2680-2690 in a 75 mph climb. I run 12.5 degrees in my 160 hp SC for my day to day playing.

We are now up to 6 engineers, what could go wrong. Lots of engineer jokes. ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully this is the last hurdle! I don’t think people are aware of the effort that goes into a lot of these mods. We just wonder why they are so expensive…. We appreciate your efforts Steve!

sj

I was running an 8241 Borer on my 160 hp Super Cub. Day to day I run the 12.5 degree pitch pin (#3) on the Sensenich and I get off the ground quicker, climb better and cruise faster. No way I would go back to the Borer, performance, weight and longevity are all better with the Sensenich. I don't see anyone using 11 degrees because when you quit pulling on the stick it redlines bad. I knew that pitch wouldn't pass but we tested it anyway. Looks like 12 degrees on the 150 hp and 12.5 on the 160 will be minimums according to the testing we did today.

So we passed noise, from the head FAA guy this afternoon they should have the STC in hand mid July. Lots of happy folks around here. Only made 28 runs today. We got it done.
Screenshot_20230517-171604.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517-171604.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517-171604.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 109
Thanks Steve
Even if performance was comparable the weight savings would be beneficial. I ran a light prop on the 0-290 i used to fly and the difference was obvious.

Last edited:
Will the low pitch limitation diminish the short TO capabilities and narrow the gap vs the borer??

Do you think the FAA will be running around at STOL comps with protractors, checking up on people?:lol:

Wasnt thinking about Feds. If limitations limit the Sensenich to borer’ish numbers i would have a harder time talking myself into one….although i will likely put my credit card on the list likely sooner than later. :)

Attachments

• Image1684373272.187579.jpg
    Image1684373272.187579.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Have you soaked those tires in warm water yet?

The minute I got it in the hangar. The engineers were making fun of me for not wanting to be seen on 800x6s. Actually thought I had a great landing till I dropped it in too high. Would have been worse if I had had bungees instead of AOSS.

Back