• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich Ground Adjustable Prop

This reminds me of when Tom Anderson was telling me years ago about getting the STC for his Cont IO360 conversion for the C170.
They just kept coming up with more & more hoops that he was expected to jump through.
He told me that after a certain point he wanted to bag it and just keep doing them as field approvals,
but he had so much time & money into the STC process that he was gonna stick it out.
He did eventually get the STC.
Was just talking to Matt McSwain at Acme and the term we used was "they keep moving the Finish Line."
@Steve Pierce what did you learn? What's the latest word on Acme's approval and timeline?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Steve, did you get the GA prop field approved for your O-320?

I did, I used the Type Certificate for the prop which approves it on the O-320, the STC for the prop on the Super Cub with an O-360 including Instructions for continued airworthiness, Field Approval Checklist and plead my case. Come to find out my Primary Maintenance Inspector and I went to A&P school together more than 30 years ago and he has common sense.

I got a Field Approval for the -12 with 0-360 and the Sensenich Ground adjustable prop the other day, Love the prop!!

Doug

I did, I used the Type Certificate for the prop which approves it on the O-320, the STC for the prop on the Super Cub with an O-360 including Instructions for continued airworthiness, Field Approval Checklist and plead my case. Come to find out my Primary Maintenance Inspector and I went to A&P school together more than 30 years ago and he has common sense.

I'd love to install one on my PA-12 160. What do you think the likelihood is considering the STC is getting "close" to approval for the O-320?

Does anyone know if this prop will accomodate the spacer as req'd for the crosswind STC? Planning to call Sensinich and Charlie Center tomorrow just thought I'd throw out the question in case someone has already gone down this path.

Yes it will, i got a spacer from Saber for my 0360 with the Charlie Center conversion as it needs it to clear the cowling. The blade will then set at closer to 1100 than 1000 and you can hand prop it really easy there.

Doug

I just delivered a prop to a friend who had set up his Javron cowl for a Catto prop and needed a spacer and is getting one from Saber. He said it was no issue.

We were testing a 78" version which is the set of blades that got damaged. Sensenich just band sawed the ends and sanded them smooth. Carbon fiber through out, carbon spar. Mo wood top shrink or expand.

Don was telling me yesterday they're using a tile cutoff wheel to avoid over heating the composite... was thinking like you were, band saw.

Don was telling me yesterday they're using a tile cutoff wheel to avoid over heating the composite... was thinking like you were, band saw.

4.5 abrasive cut off wheel works great. A few drops of CA ( super glue) seal the end

Glenn

It's a thing of beauty!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301_164937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230301_164937_Gallery.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 72
I was picking up what you were laying down...lol. pretty cool when you consider that's a smaller disk pulling better than the larger heavier one.

My Saber prop extension arrive today, a serious work of art

Attachments

• B542AB11-B105-403A-853A-CD91C3A78471.jpeg
    B542AB11-B105-403A-853A-CD91C3A78471.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 72
It is my experience that a shorter prop can pull a bit more pitch for the same static RPM and allow for better climb and faster cruise -- often with very little loss in take of performance.

For example a 52 pitch Sensenich/Metal prop will make my cubs climb rate the same at 85 MPH as my borer does at 75 MPH and gain 10MPH in cruise

For all around a 78 might be the sweet spot.

Doug, thanks for the reply. I'll post a picture soon, but I've installed this prop on my Charlie Center converted PA-18 without the spacer and there was plenty of clearance with the cowling. Albeit, that spacer you purchased looks pretty trick. FYI, I did not install it with the backplate/spinner.

Even a new cub driver like myself can tell the difference once 25 lbs is removed from the nose and man does it spool up/down quick. The starter is really going to take a beating with the loss in inertia during startup. Is anyone else seeing a labored start once switching to a lightweight prop? FYI, just installed a new SBS J-16 w/ same results.

Initial real world performance gains for those on the fence............. I removed a McCauley 1A200/DFA8243 and have seen similar to improved takeoff performance and an increase in 5-10 MPH (cruise) with the Sensenich set at a 45 pitch. The weight alone has made a huge difference on landing. With the throttle chopped the old prop would generally make the nose drop out from under me just prior to touch down, but that is now gone.

After removing the old prop and battery, my cub is now 41.5lbs lighter!! Money may not always buy happiness, but it can sure buy increased performance.

Stephen

Last edited:
Back