• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich Ground Adjustable Prop

Make sure they include the A models!!!! :smile:

And would be nice if they included early model PA18's with 150/160 engines. I suspect the A models and early models would require further flight testing and/or more FAA hoops to hop through which is why they are left off the AML's of many STC's.

Is the A model approved with the 180?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Is the A model approved with the 180?

Only applicable to PA-18-150, and limited to select serial numbers ( the same serial numbers listed on the TCDS for PA-18-150)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to derail the thread, but on the topic of A models, Can you do a Wip 2K MGW increase on a PA-18A-150?

I put an experimental one on my 150 cub and I like how it pulls. With a pin setting 2 I am still only getting 2300 rpm wot. The carbon fiber prop pulls hard, spins up faster and when I pull the throttle back the cub really slows down. So far I am enjoying the prop, any comments on the not so high rpms and has anyone else experienced high oil temps? Last Sunday we went on a 90 minute flight and hit 242 on oil temp. Ordered new baffle, mine are not very good. Any other suggestions on this oil temp issue?

Sensenich is working to include the lower hp Super Cubs when upgrade to 320 or 360 engines as the A models. They didn't know Super Cubs when they started this quest. The goal now after the STC is approved is to Type Certify the prop so others can STC it on other models.

Sensenich is working to include the lower hp Super Cubs when upgrade to 320 or 360 engines as the A models. They didn't know Super Cubs when they started this quest. The goal now after the STC is approved is to Type Certify the prop so others can STC it on other models.
Steve,
Since we know that basically the -18 and -18A are very similar, be certain Sensenich places both T.C. 1A2 and T.C. AR-7 on their application for the STC. This should help later on when more people want to make installations.

Is it reasonable to think that these lighter props put less strain on the crank? Particularly in startup.

Getting a TC on the prop will be the key to approval on PA-12, PA-16, PA-20 and PA-22. Without a prop TC it would be forever limited to 2 place airplanes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oil temp issues.
A friend ran the Sensenich GA prop on a -12 0-360 in the summer out west and had temp issues a total of about 75 hours and with different pitch settings. He changed from Aero Shell 100 W+ to Phillips 20-50 and this made a big difference in the temps.
Then through some more investigation he has the Crosswinds STC and they use a 7 fin oil cooler where the Top Cub uses a 9 fin oil cooler and between the two planes the 9 fin runs much cooler than the 7 fin here back east both in the summer and the cooler temps 15-20 degrees.
His baffling needs some attention too!

These are what we have seen with the GA prop and the oil cooler differences.

I don't know where the rumor comes from. Maybe is is true for some but hasn't been for me. Standard nosebowl and 10-1 compression. I should note that I purposely used a J-3 boot cowl when I built the crow 25 yrs ago because I think getting hot air out of the big side gills is important. Whether that actually makes a big difference or not I don't know but I ran the whirlwind last summer up to 85-90deg ambient air with cht (all 4 in the 380 to 390 deg. range) and the sensenich in the early fall up to 80 degs ambient with same results. 370 to 380 degs. Should note that my borer 82-43 ran in the same ranges. Hope I am not adding confusion to the thread. The instrument is the CGR 30P. I run a left rear baffle oil cooler position and the rear cyls run within 5 to 10 degs of each other. I did build an intake shroud and leaned the cooler back 25 yrs ago and lowered the oil temp about 15 degs with that mod. Air fills the shroud before entering the cooler for full frontal effect instead of feeding the cooler through a 3 inch hole in the baffle.

Hello, Supercrow,

This is likely off topic for this thread, but your left rear baffle oil cooler comments really lit up some hope for me. At rebuild of my 0-320 in a PA-14 several years ago, we ditched the old heavy front cooler and associated long runs of hose in favor of the lighter rear one. I was warned that occasionally higher oil temps result. Sure enough, on the rare "hot" days here in south-central Alaska (aloft temps over 70F) I have to dance with my flight variables - leave the heavy stuff at home, climb to cooler temps, run rich, or stop somewhere scenic for a cool-off - in order to keep oil temps under red line. (Only happens once or twice a summer for me.) My questions to local "experts" has produced a smattering of ideas - repositioning, a top-of cowl intake vent, a dedicated intake on the nose bowl directed through some flexible heat duct, and more - without any confidence evoking consensus and with plenty of firmly believed warnings about why the other ideas won't work or are damaging.

Would you be so kind as to give me a detail description or even a picture of what you are describing with your "shroud" and "leaned back" language? All your thoughts and opinions on it would be welcome. If we are not allowed to deviate from the topic of this thread, then maybe we could go the private message route. Other folks can chime in too. Even if not sacrosanct (As John Hattie would say, "There is no such thing as immaculate perception."), opinions are worth something since everyone knows something I don't!
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Oil temp issues.
A friend ran the Sensenich GA prop on a -12 0-360 in the summer out west and had temp issues a total of about 75 hours and with different pitch settings. He changed from Aero Shell 100 W+ to Phillips 20-50 and this made a big difference in the temps.
Then through some more investigation he has the Crosswinds STC and they use a 7 fin oil cooler where the Top Cub uses a 9 fin oil cooler and between the two planes the 9 fin runs much cooler than the 7 fin here back east both in the summer and the cooler temps 15-20 degrees.
His baffling needs some attention too!

These are what we have seen with the GA prop and the oil cooler differences.

How did the prop perform on “your friends” plane compared to a metal club? I’m assuming that the weight off the nose in a -12 is where the magic happens.

Hello, Supercrow,

This is likely off topic for this thread, but your left rear baffle oil cooler comments really lit up some hope for me. At rebuild of my 0-320 in a PA-14 several years ago, we ditched the old heavy front cooler and associated long runs of hose in favor of the lighter rear one. I was warned that occasionally higher oil temps result. Sure enough, on the rare "hot" days here in south-central Alaska (aloft temps over 70F) I have to dance with my flight variables - leave the heavy stuff at home, climb to cooler temps, run rich, or stop somewhere scenic for a cool-off - in order to keep oil temps under red line. (Only happens once or twice a summer for me.) My questions to local "experts" has produced a smattering of ideas - repositioning, a top-of cowl intake vent, a dedicated intake on the nose bowl directed through some flexible heat duct, and more - without any confidence evoking consensus and with plenty of firmly believed warnings about why the other ideas won't work or are damaging.

Would you be so kind as to give me a detail description or even a picture of what you are describing with your "shroud" and "leaned back" language? All your thoughts and opinions on it would be welcome. If we are not allowed to deviate from the topic of this thread, then maybe we could go the private message route. Other folks can chime in too. Even if not sacrosanct (As John Hattie would say, "There is no such thing as immaculate perception."), opinions are worth something since everyone knows something I don't!
Thanks,
Steve
Sent you a PM

How did the prop perform on “your friends” plane compared to a metal club? I’m assuming that the weight off the nose in a -12 is where the magic happens.

Really good the 43 pitch would static about 2500 as he recalls, the ground roll TO was under 200 feet and the top end was an increase of 5-10 over the 8242 Borer.

This would keep temps down and controllable. When running the 46 pitch the TO runs were about the same and the cruise was 10-15 faster but this was before the oil changes and he would get temp issues if the OAT was over 75 degrees, when he got out west the temp issues came into play. So back to the 43-44 pitch, running at 85 MPH or faster made a big difference too.

LOVE the prop and the FAST spool up, waiting for the certified version to go on! The prop to get!!!! Very easy to set up for pitch changes.

Could take 20+ off the nose and 12# out of the tail for the same general CG effect.

20211215_125215.jpg

Just did a single run up. With the new-to-me O-360, it feels like a whole new beast. W&B tomorrow and we’ll see what the numbers look like.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20211215_125215.jpg
    20211215_125215.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 354
Now if I could just convince mark to sell me the thrustline mod…

Anyone put some hours on the Sensenich GA prop on 180hp SC at this point to know how it's holding up to gravel, sand, water spray? Any delamination issues?

Anyone put some hours on the Sensenich GA prop on 180hp SC at this point to know how it's holding up to gravel, sand, water spray? Any delamination issues?

Pilot technique has a lot to do with how any prop holds up. I fly the same places my brother does and we both have the same prop. Mine looks new and his has some dings. Same when we both had borer props.

Well, that's definitely true... I've got one coming in a couple weeks, so we'll see how it does. Looking forward to a little more speed for the long trip from FL to WY and on to AK!

Sensenich adjustable and IO390?

Anyone running the non-STC Sensenich ground adjustable and IO390 combo? PIREP’s?

Last edited:
Had anyone done a comparison between the Cato, whirlwind and senenich ?
Catto and Sensenich yes.Sensenich at standard pitch has same thrust as Catto 84x42 static. The Sensenich has a broader speed range due to the warping character of the blades. Can set blades for 2600 rpm static and not redline until about 80 mph.standard setting gives me 2350 static and I cruise at 2400 at 97 mph. Legend Cub with 340 Titan. Plane has slats and 29 Dessers.

Sent you a pm
Catto and Sensenich yes.Sensenich at standard pitch has same thrust as Catto 84x42 static. The Sensenich has a broader speed range due to the warping character of the blades. Can set blades for 2600 rpm static and not redline until about 80 mph.standard setting gives me 2350 static and I cruise at 2400 at 97 mph. Legend Cub with 340 Titan. Plane has slats and 29 Dessers.

I have a Sensenich 82” prop coming for my Bearhawk so this info is much needed. It is going on a O-360 angle valve 195HP, plane will weigh 1150-1200 pounds.

Back