• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fraud or Honest mistake

MoJo

FRIEND
ND
Considering that my airplane was over 1000 miles away on this date, is this just a fish to see if they can collect some unwarranted funds, or a common mistake? I think I got one of these about a year ago from a different airport too. How often does this happen , and it just gets paid? ACDEAA7E-27FA-4231-9734-D05CFABB8086.jpg

Attachments

• ACDEAA7E-27FA-4231-9734-D05CFABB8086.jpg
    ACDEAA7E-27FA-4231-9734-D05CFABB8086.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 617
Ah Vector, the company that is taking photos of your airplane and performing billing for various airports. Wonder if the Wright bros ever envisioned something like this crap

https://www.vector-us.com/planepass

I received a bill from an airport thousands of miles away awhile back and one phone call made them go away.

likely someone with a similar N# and they didn't read it correctly. Not sure what the error rate is, but I suspect it's pretty high.

I had a hangar in Plymouth Mass where I kept the Comanche. Started getting invoices for overnights in Hyannis all of 30 miles away. The first couple I just sent an e mail saying you have the wrong N number. Finally number 3 shows up with a picture of my Comanche on the ramp in Hyannis. It was accompanied by an invoice for 3 overnights. Come to find out my father in law and partner was flying the 30 miles to his home and tying down outside. It allowed him early morning flights.

I had a hangar in Plymouth Mass where I kept the Comanche. Started getting invoices for overnights in Hyannis all of 30 miles away. The first couple I just sent an e mail saying you have the wrong N number. Finally number 3 shows up with a picture of my Comanche on the ramp in Hyannis. It was accompanied by an invoice for 3 overnights. Come to find out my father in law and partner was flying the 30 miles to his home and tying down outside. It allowed him early morning flights.

so what you are saying is.... maybe I should be looking at my friends differently :-? :)

so what you are saying is.... maybe I should be looking at my friends differently :-? :)
Keep you seldom flying partners in your loop. I got so complacent about his seldom use I guess I would have been surprised when I opened the hangar door to his car inside.

I can't recall EVER paying an overnight or landing fee, in the last 34 years away, guess I'm flying in the wrong places. This thread makes me re- appreciate that.

How about fuel bills from half way across the country (Jet A no less) for an 80 oct airplane, or a sales tax from a distant state or an airways tax from a foreign country. This all on the airplane in my avitar which was grounded and stored in a hangar.... for several years.

My son and I signed up for notifications from Flight Aware when our airplane departs and lands. Yesterday the airplane was tied down in our hangar in North Carolina. We got notifications that it "was spotted in flight near Inverness, FL," and that "tracking stopped near Jacksonville, FL." Anyone know if this would be a Flight Aware problem or maybe someone had programmed their ADSB with the wrong code? I sure don't want to get a nastygram from the feds saying I busted a TFR or flew under a bridge when our airplane is not the one involved. Suggestions?

My son and I signed up for notifications from Flight Aware when our airplane departs and lands. Yesterday the airplane was tied down in our hangar in North Carolina. We got notifications that it "was spotted in flight near Inverness, FL," and that "tracking stopped near Jacksonville, FL." Anyone know if this would be a Flight Aware problem or maybe someone had programmed their ADSB with the wrong code? I sure don't want to get a nastygram from the feds saying I busted a TFR or flew under a bridge when our airplane is not the one involved. Suggestions?

This happened to me a few months ago. Flight Aware had my 170 on a short flight 1500 miles from the hangar it was in at the time. I vote for incompetence over fraud. Humans write software. Humans test software. You know the old question: What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class from medical school? ..............Doctor.

Neither fraud nor honest mistake... just incompetence.
I changed this post after I read the website of the company that sends the bills. Apparently it’s totally automated which guarantees a certain error level. More or less than human input? Who knows.

Last edited:
I would still say it’s incompetent to deploy a system with a known error rate and requires people who were not involved to interact and dispute a bill that’s not there’s.

I would still say it’s incompetent to deploy a system with a known error rate and requires people who were not involved to interact and dispute a bill that’s not there’s.
Agreed. It appears they have other airports here on LI as customers. I did once get an erroneous landing fee bill from FRG which is about 20 miles from me.

I heard that the now ( for the last 15 years or so, liked it as it was much better) controlled Jackson Hole WY airport has a landing fee, but have yet to find out. At some point this summer I will man up and find out, as I want to ride the bike trail at the base of the Tetons. I should at least get my moneys worth, with that view.

I suspect when users fees come along, this will be a common issue!

Back