• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

175 hrs on new C180 mufflers and this....

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Replaced these both 175 hrs ago in March of 2019 with Aerospace Welding units. I did not not add a turbo to the plane, so not sure what is burning these things up!

It rarely backfires, but sometimes a little when I pull power in a hurried landing.

Mech is going to check with Aerospace and see if there is any help with this.

muff2.png
muff1.png

Attachments

• muff2.png
    muff2.png
    324.3 KB · Views: 224
  • muff1.png
    muff1.png
    440.9 KB · Views: 212
Take a small cutoff wheel and cut those flame tubes out and be done with it. Hopefully AWI will make good on them.

You're lucky, you got 175 hours out of an Aerospace Welding exhaust component. My experience with them has been once around the traffic pattern. And a "go fly a kite" from them when it was brought to their attention.

This is kinda concerning, as I bought a pair of new mufflers from AWI a few years ago.
I guess I better peek up in there.

What Steve said, did mine long ago. Big enough chunk breaks off and blocks the outlet, you are in a world of hurt.

Get the Knisley modified dual exhaust. I got about 700 hrs before the flame cone on the right one started going bad. Can't see any cracks on the headers yet either. I didn't hook them up to the spring deals on the firewall either.

This is kinda concerning, as I bought a pair of new mufflers from AWI a few years ago.
I guess I better peek up in there.

I peeked up inside my mufflers yesterday.
The flame cones are off-center at the tailpipe end, but intact.
They don't move when I push on them with a long screwdriver,
so I guess all is good..
BTW these are 4-1/2 years old with about 400 hours on them.

Get the Knisley modified dual exhaust. I got about 700 hrs before the flame cone on the right one started going bad. Can't see any cracks on the headers yet either. I didn't hook them up to the spring deals on the firewall either.

Seems like somebody offers supercub mufflers without flame tubes,
does anyone do the same with 180 mufflers?
I'm not sure what those are for anyways--
are "flame tubes" the same as "spark arrestors"?

Seems like somebody offers supercub mufflers without flame tubes,
does anyone do the same with 180 mufflers?
I'm not sure what those are for anyways--
are "flame tubes" the same as "spark arrestors"?

Acorn Welding in Edmonton.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Each EGT only has a value relative to its own peak. You run it peak minus "x" degrees, on the rich side, or on the lean side.

Get rid of the flame tubes. As noted above, those things can ruin your day.....that's what the bale in the end of many Super Cub exhausts is for....to prevent those things from blocking your exhaust when they fail. Note the term "when", not "if".

Acorn has always been good to me.

MTV

The flame tubes promote better hot air output by forcing the exhaust to contact the muffler case. And some noise muffling and back pressure I suppose. Like Mike says when they block the muffler outlet it gets your attention. I've had them depart Cessna exhausts in winter. There were a few moments of power loss and quieter exhaust noise. The second time I opened the throttle to blow it out and it worked. Heater still functioned ok. One more time in a Cub I landed on skis ok to check then flew home with reduced power. The bail held the baffling from completely blocking the outlet.

Gary

Those springs are what holds up the aft end of the exhausts.
What's holding yours up?
The spring loaded bolts at the ball joint clamp that are very snug. Worked for 700 hrs so far----that's how good the Knisley exhaust stacks are.

The spring loaded bolts at the ball joint clamp that are very snug. Worked for 700 hrs so far----that's how good the Knisley exhaust stacks are.
Marty, They aren't there just to support the parts downstream of the ball joints. They also help with supporting the weight of the entire system. Check the weld where the stack comes from the aft cylinder joining the rest of the exhaust. Cracks could form there caused by the unsupported weight.

Actually this exhaust is not in use at the moment. I used the 470K to make a Pponk for the 180K. Been 25 yrs since I installed it and think because of the bigger diameter pipes, the springs were wrong and that bracket rod that went between the mufflers didn't work either. As you can see, the ball joints didn't wear a hole either. The old original ball joints wore through on me and all the clamps were a joke. I checked alignment and for cracks pretty often and none were found. I remember seeing an early 180 from Alaska at the Grand Canyon and the exhaust pipes had literally eaten into the firewall from sagging Lord mounts and or too tight springs suspending the mufflers.Resized_20210808_161244.jpegResized_20210808_161314.jpegResized_20210808_161446.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20210808_161244.jpeg
    Resized_20210808_161244.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 117
  • Resized_20210808_161314.jpeg
    Resized_20210808_161314.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Resized_20210808_161446.jpeg
    Resized_20210808_161446.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 118
I try to use a thin line of red RTV when I install the gaskets, backfiring or popping when pulling the throttle off means the exhaust is getting air from somewhere... also lubricate any ball joints and slip joints annually with copper antisieze. If things dont move freely, they crack. I have gone through 7 mufflers this year due to age on the work airplane that have lycomings, our rotax fleet eats mufflers and is just horrible on exhaust systems.

Back