• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel primer

redfin

FRIEND
After two primer strokes, my primer becomes rock hard. Like a hydraulic lock!

Anyone have and ideas of what may cause this? Blocked primer nozzles ?

When was the last time the nozzles were cleaned. Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Cleaning Solvent works great. I would work my way through the system but that sounds like the likely culprit.

A cheap ultrasonic cleaner with a touch of solvent works wonders on primer nozzles.

Motosix, what solvent do you use for this type of work? And slightly off topic, what would you use for wheel bearings and such in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Thanks. cubscout

After two primer strokes, my primer becomes rock hard. Like a hydraulic lock!

Anyone have and ideas of what may cause this? Blocked primer nozzles ?

Does the primer stay out and locked? Or eventually gets pushed in?
Please let us know what you find was the problem. Hate it when someone asks for advice, gets responses, and we never hear anything more. We all learn a lot from these questions.

Love the smell of Hoppes #9.
Jim

Last edited:
Motosix, what solvent do you use for this type of work? And slightly off topic, what would you use for wheel bearings and such in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Pretty much like everyone has already said:

For nuts bolts metal parts that are just covered in grease or the like, a small amount of that purple power degreaser from WalMart in the ultasonic cleaner with the temp set on as-hot-as-it-will-go. Brass fittings clean up nicely this way too, although anything copper will have the shine knocked off using this method.

For parts that have caked on carbon like the primer nozzle, I'll presoak in Hoppes and take a plastic dental pick to scrape off the big chunks, then do the above. The primer nozzles come out of the bath looking new.

With almost no prep, varnished carb jets (and even the entire disassembled carb) come out of the ultrasonic cleaner looking like new as well.

I have a similar question regarding another component of the fuel system...the fuel sumps. I sump my fuel before every flight, but once in awhile the valve sticks open and there is some dripping. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Randy

That's a tough one Doc. Often times something small is stuck under the O-ring and draining a little will flush it out. Other times it has to come out and be cleaned or replaced. I have four on my machine and I find myself replacing one or more every couple years. You can sometimes replace the O-ring but I don't bother as a rule. I have better results by just changing them.My 2 cents.

That's a tough one Doc. Often times something small is stuck under the O-ring and draining a little will flush it out. Other times it has to come out and be cleaned or replaced. I have four on my machine and I find myself replacing one or more every couple years. You can sometimes replace the O-ring but I don't bother as a rule. I have better results by just changing them. My 2 cents.
Winter time I am careful to sump when above freezing. If not leave them alone or run the chance of ripping the O Ring with Ice. This advice and lesson brought directly from the ramp at KMLT.
J
I forgot if you grab the drain and rotate it while pushing in slightly it clears some dirt..... Good Luck

If the drains like to stick open it might be time to flush the tank(s) and clear the outlet screen if present. Once crap gets in the tank the outlet screen and small quick drain holes may not let it all out.

Gary

Winter time I am careful to sump when above freezing. If not leave them alone or run the chance of ripping the O Ring with Ice. This advice and lesson brought directly from the ramp at KMLT.
J
I forgot if you grab the drain and rotate it while pushing in slightly it clears some dirt..... Good Luck

I know a fella who did that, filled the tanks on a Super Cub, launched out of Kotzebue, headed for Anchorage, in winter. Plane had sat a lot for a long time, and he hadn't sumped the tanks that winter, using the logic you explained. He started off on one tank and didn't switch to the other tank till the first tank was almost dry....duh.

And, guess what? The other tank actually had a good bit of water--actually ice, in it. Frozen solid. Gas on top of it of course, and the tank was in fact full, just not all gas.

Fortunately for him, he wasn't that far from a village and was able to get there before he ran out of gas in the other tank.

Lessons: Even in winter, sump the tanks. If you cut an O-ring, get it replaced. I carry a spare sump drain and wrench to replace. But, I've sumped tanks many, many times in winter without damaging an O-ring.

Second, always verify that fuel flows from BOTH tanks early in a cross country. You don't want to get half way in the middle of nowhere and find out one tank won't flow fuel.

MTV

After two primer strokes, my primer becomes rock hard.

Crash,
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. That blue color in 100LL.....it’s not lead. Next time you and the Mrs. get together, splash a little on your primer;-)

....oh, boy...this thread is drifting...splashing a little on one's primer is not medically advised:lol:

Randy

Sorry for slow response, been out flying and limited connectivity!

primer stays locked out stiff!

I removed all primer nozzles, soaked in diesel overnight and then used a small pin to clean holes. Reinstalled all works as per normal.

thanks for the advice. I will ultrasonic clean, but have to wait until I return home.

cheers RF.

Back