• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Acme shocks in Alaska

scottsville

Hi Everyone,

Looking to see how the Acme shocks are holding up in Alaska. If there is a weak point they will find them up there>

Thanks Scott

I landed off airport at least 5 days per week in the Wrangell’s throughout the summer of 2019 using Gen-3 Acme Black-Ops shocks. They were AWESOME!

Hi Everyone,

Looking to see how the Acme shocks are holding up in Alaska. If there is a weak point they will find them up there>

Thanks Scott

So if your not in Alaska and really working a Cub on stuff like 12” boulders or that or bigger tundra frozen Tussuks, why are you even talking about ACME shocks? Cool factor for pancake breakfast fly-in? We did more rough stuff with stock -18 gear and 8:50s in the 1970s than most people would even consider now with 35” Bushwheels. If you are running 35s, you have to be in some really wicked stuff to even get suspension to move. Me, old school I guess, 31” bushwheels and AOSS. But I hold my own cause of learning how to fly rough stuff on 8:50 x 6. @mam90 can back me up been doing this 45 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You’ve got one legit answer and one “cool factor pancake breakfast fly-in” answer so far. I’d go with the first answer.

Call Erick at Acme and ask about Loni Haberstetzers experience. From my understanding, Loni has tested different generations, sending them back for examination after a season of use (11-1200 landings). Sounds like they’ve lasted well.

If Loni likes them and didn't tear them up that means a lot. I like how they take the bounce out when you drop it in or hit the rough stuff you didn't see. Only flown them on friendss Cubs and Carbon Cubs so far. Looking to be STC'd soon.

I haven't gotten the small nitrogen bottle yet so been servicing them with a bicycle pump and a strut gauge set up. You gotta do it with the weight off. I have been servicing to 250 psi. Not sure what others are using.
69411.jpeg

69414.jpeg

Attachments

• 69411.jpeg
    69411.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,166
  • 69414.jpeg
    69414.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,038
I'm planning to go with Acme Gen 3's on my carbon cub next year (in AK). I've spoken with no one that has bad mouthed them, aside from a friend that broke a pair of gen 2's on a Sport Cub on straight skis. His safety cables saved him though, and the problem he had was rectified with Gen 3's. I'm even considering their tail stinger. Take this all with a grain of salt, because I really don't know much aside from internet research.

Doesn't MauleGuy aka Greg Miller use Acme Gen 3's? I'm pretty sure he is, on his Javron Super Cub. If he hasn't destroyed them, then I doubt any alaskans would without wrecking the entire airplane, or destroying the legacy gear as was mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info. I am flying my cub up to Alaska in May and was considering putting a 3" HD gear on it and while I was at it put the black ops on as well. I have the T3 tailwheel and man it sure made a difference!

I’ve been using Gen 3 Acme shocks since they came out and they are a lifesaver. Last year added the Stinger tail suspension and like it as well as it keeps the tail down in rough terrain. Matt and Eric are first class and are always seeking to improve their products. Their suspension coupled with 35,s is a jaw dropper for the conditions what can be operated in safely, Probably more than most people would even consider . Before Acme I ran AOSS on a certified 12 and thought it was quite good until I tried the Acme. That being said, anyone wanting a fresh rebuild on their cub is welcome to try and follow me on 8:50’s.

I haven't gotten the small nitrogen bottle yet so been servicing them with a bicycle pump and a strut gauge set up. You gotta do it with the weight off. I have been servicing to 250 psi. Not sure what others are using.

I've wondered about that off and on. Why nitrogen instead of plain air? Sounds like your plan works.

I pondered that maybe oxygen reacted with oil, but it really didn't sound plausible at these pressures (at 300 psi the autoignition of most oils is still over 400F, from what I can see).

I've wondered about that off and on. Why nitrogen instead of plain air? Sounds like your plan works.

I pondered that maybe oxygen reacted with oil, but it really didn't sound plausible at these pressures (at 300 psi the autoignition of most oils is still over 400F, from what I can see).

I assume nitrogen is best as it is less reactive to temperature change. Same reason some run nitrogen in their auto tires.

In short, air is hydroscopic, oxygen promotes oxidation, and nitrogen is inert. We want no water, no oxidation, and nothing but consistent pressure independent of temperature inside any shock.

That said, the ACME valve stack is pretty straight forward and the whole package is plenty stout for the task. It can handle air, and if someone tells you they can the difference in performance with their ACMEs between air and nitrogen, they are lying.

And, yes, I have GEN3s on my lightweight Cub. Contrary to what is said by those who dont-need-busheels-and-neither-do-you crowd, these shocks are the bees knees. I also have the Stinger, and it too is worth the price of admission.

I actually liked them so much I had them build oleo's for Bushwacker 2.0. Matt said they were finished and were showing them off at Sun n Fun, I should have them soon to try. I can't wait, I made new oleo's for Bushwacker that are better then the stock ones but nothing compared to what I have on my Javron Cub that Acme builds. Great stuff!

I actually liked them so much I had them build oleo's for Bushwacker 2.0. Matt said they were finished and were showing them off at Sun n Fun, I should have them soon to try. I can't wait, I made new oleo's for Bushwacker that are better then the stock ones but nothing compared to what I have on my Javron Cub that Acme builds. Great stuff!
Matt mentioned them in a video from S$F yesterday.

Maybe, I was not the one that dug them and I assume the guy that did wanted to represent bad conditions. It is hard to tell in a light cub how bad they are. They are bad enough that even with 35" and Acme shocks I could feel it in my back if I hit just wrong. I would not even consider landing that spot in Bushwacker with the oleo's I have now.

I would love love love to see it done with 8.50 tires. I will bet $1000.00 right now that you can not do 1 take off and 1 landing without bending or wrecking your airplane. You have to agree to let me film it though so I can post it on YT:lol:

I would love love love to see it done with 8.50 tires. I will bet 1000.00 right now that you can not do 1 take off and 1 landing without bending or wrecking your airplane.

I am pretty confident that 95% of the pilots couldn't land it in your airplane without bending something. The gear is only as good as the person wielding it, and fortunately you wield it pretty perfectly.

(of course, I was poking fun with the 8.50 comment. It seems everyone has a pretty strong opinion regarding the bits we choose to bolt up to our own airplanes while proclaiming there is no need for it.)

I ran Gen 3s for 30-40 hrs before trading for Gen 4s. The 4s have more travel and are more forgiving. If you seldom land rough spots or drop it in you can’t tell much difference. If you do, pony up the extra for the 4s.

Last I heard, the 3s will be approved first......followed by catto props, the lighter/cheaper EarthX and then 10:1s;-)

If Loni likes them and didn't tear them up that means a lot. I like how they take the bounce out when you drop it in or hit the rough stuff you didn't see. Only flown them on friendss Cubs and Carbon Cubs so far. Looking to be STC'd soon.

View attachment 55254

View attachment 55255
Do you jack from the wing strut attach point to get the weight off the shock if hoisting isn't an option?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I lift from the ceiling off the lifting eyes. Hard to tell in this picture with Dozer stretching.
69401.jpeg

Attachments

• 69401.jpeg
    69401.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,375
I love mine! I have been beating them into the dirt for over a year now and I have NEVER touched them.

Back