• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lost Pops last evening

JohnnyR

SPONSOR
AK, ME - what time of year is it?
Dad passed away last evening after a day of mostly sleeping. Just slipped away. He had an extra 1.5 years after the oncologists told him he was finished, and conducted himself as always with a stoic grace. He was my best friend my whole life.

RIP, Dr. M. Joseph Reitman, US Army Medical Corps/MASH - Korea. March 26, 1924 - April 12, 2021.

Goodbye, Pops.

Dad - Korea.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 358
  • Dad - Korea.jpg
    Dad - Korea.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 283
May your Dad, in the words sung by Vince Gill, 'go rest high on that mountain.'

I'm sorry for your loss. Hope your family and friends find peace in the days ahead.

Losing a father is something that a man doesn't really get over. Don't really expect to.

Sometimes I hear my Dad talking - only it's the sound of my own words and thoughts. Your father will live on within you.

Sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like a great guy, good influence, and lots of terrific memories

So sorry to hear about your Pops. I pray you will find peace and solace, remembering all the good times you had together.

I lost my dad 13 years ago, and sometimes it seems like just yesterday. I miss him every day.

"He was my best friend my whole life" Wow, what a blessing. Not many sons can say that. Your memories will comfort you greatly.

It would have been my WW2 aviator Dad’s 103rd birthday today so your loss comes at a time of significance to me too. You were blessed to have him so long and to have such a great relationship with him - and a year and a half extra. Special that. My condolences too

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Thanks for the kindness, folks. I wish you could have sat on his porch and talked with him. Everyone who met Dr. Joe considered him a gentleman and a friend.

Pops was old school "Greatest Generation," with WWII and Korea service, then many years as a surgeon after the Army paid for his schooling. He would often trade surgery for farm produce & meats to help out the local farmers. Got to liking the fresh food so much that he acquired his own farm in the early 60's and raised us tending Angus cattle.

He used to complain that my brother Joe, Jr. and I were awesome kids but devils when together - "I love you boys, but things seem to somehow break or blow up when you're together. Could you learn to tone it down a bit?" We eventually did, but not until well after we left to start our own lives :wink: . In later years our shared mishaps were some of his favorite stories to tell visitors to his farm, where he stayed until his end days.

His dream was to head up to Alaska and fly with me out to the Aleutians to see "where the Japanese tried to come in the back door." Unfortunately he never made it while living, but I will always carry his memory with me. Love you, Pops!!

So so sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great guy that will surely be missed.
John

So sorry for your loss. May the memories of how he lived help you through this difficult time!

Our thoughts are with you!

cafi

Back