• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Springtime in Alaska

My brother in Fairbanks (38 years now) just called, they are moving to Overton NV, he's had enough apparently.

Global warming in Idaho this morning also, 5'' of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_092710468.jpg
    IMG_20210406_092710468.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 228
Actually in Fairbanks the local agencies quickly got with 1'+ snow removal on public roads. That's thanks to excellent NWS pre-warnings of a major (for us) snow event. Now due to forecast low 850mb (~5,000') air temps in the -20 to -30C, we'll have similar nighttime surface temps under clear skies for rest of this week. However day temps can rise 30-40*F under 14+ hrs of daylight. It's been 177 days (last October) since we hit 40°F, a new record plus more yet to come. Lake and river ice is now more than 40" in some locations.

This all helps keep the unresolved away.

Gary

Last edited:
Here in the central Canadian arctic we have had a very cold winter, with temperatures consistently 5 to 10 degrees (C) below average.

The media claims that the arctic sea-ice coverage is "the seventh lowest on record..." LOL. They spin the story to support the "climate change" agenda, instead of saying "hey, you know what? The ice coverage is INCREASING!".

It was minus 38C here last weekend.

Thanks for sharing what’s actually happening way up there. I was getting worn down by all the constant repetition and had begun to think maybe the media wasn’t lying. Silly me! How you all survive up there is a mystery to me - I get miserable when winter brings an overnight low of about -1C and the day gets no warmer than 9 or 10C

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

In my part of the world the glaciers are still shrinking which makes me think this part of the globe is warmer than it used to be.

It may snow tomorrow then drop trough to -30F Friday and Saturday nights. Lovin' every minute of it

Gary

In my part of the world the glaciers are still shrinking which makes me think this part of the globe is warmer than it used to be.
Do you think it warmer or just not snowing as much as it used to do? After all glaciers are just big snow banks.

24 degrees on Easter morning in Maine. That did not stop the “PJ squadron” from flying their planes that the Easter Bunny left for them.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

In elementary school, ( late 1980’s, Minnesota), I profoundly remember a teacher telling the class we were entering the next ice age and needed to save the rainforests or we would all starve and freeze to death. Scared the hell out of me. An ice age could kill lots of people. Global warming, much less so.

A different generation of propaganda and fear to control the masses.

Sikorsky

From this layman's point of view: In 50-years of living north of the arctic circle I have seen somewhat warmer temperatures (generally speaking) but, of course, with the natural variation that occurs from year to year. In practical terms, I have seen nothing to suggest that a way of life is threatened by climate change - at least not here. No Inuit falling through the ice, no polar bears drowning.

I have kept careful track of my heating fuel consumption for the past thirty-eight years. No significant change.

I am not a "climate change denier". I believe the climate has/is changing because well, you know, that's what climate has been doing since the beginning of time.

I like ski-flying and float flying. Which one will I have to give up? I'm quite sure the answer is neither, until a few hundred years in the future - maybe.

Here's the latest Global Forecast System 10 day outlook for North America. Like springing back into winter.

Gary

Attachments

• gfs_na-lc_t2min_10-day.png
    gfs_na-lc_t2min_10-day.png
    778.8 KB · Views: 246
Blizzard today on the tropical Bering Sea coast. On the global warming thing...and both sides of the coin so to speak..I’ve been working with NOAA doing a sea level study here in Platinum...Alaska’s sea level on the Bering sea has dropped 1/2” in the past century...they say it’s because the glacial weight in the mantle has decreased....we’re floating higher so to speak. That said...we’re on the top side of a subduction zone too! Wonder if they took that into account.. This summer another outfit is pulling the GPS site on Red Mountain. It monitored elevation... course I wonder if they took into account Red Mountain is an intrusive mass?..
c33ad65d9e6da686b8802c3d00a2d131.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In elementary school, ( late 1980’s, Minnesota), I profoundly remember a teacher telling the class we were entering the next ice age and needed to save the rainforests or we would all starve and freeze to death. Scared the hell out of me. An ice age could kill lots of people. Global warming, much less so....

I'm 63 & I remember "the coming ice age" also.
Now the pendulum is swinging the other way.
I like the way "global warming" got spun into "climate change",
that kind of covers all the bases.

"The only constant in life is change".

FWIW the biggest concern of one of the commissioners of the Port district which operates my home airport
seems to be climate change, specifically "sea level rise"--
he doesn't seem to be too concerned about the covid pandemic, the economy, or the large-and-still-growing number of homeless people.

Forecast for Fairbanks is more snow, -25ish or colder, North winds tonite for a -60 or less wind chill, more snow. Did I mention more snow?
Came home to this last Sunday. Took 18 hours of plow truck and tractor work to regain access to the road system. Climate change? Not from where I sit. 50 years in FAI and it’s still winter as usual.
Ski flying season just got extended for another couple of weeks. IMG_8555.JPG63926945696__4C634E6E-85F1-4F3D-A8EA-32BFBE4831E7.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_8555.JPG
    IMG_8555.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 63926945696__4C634E6E-85F1-4F3D-A8EA-32BFBE4831E7.JPG
    63926945696__4C634E6E-85F1-4F3D-A8EA-32BFBE4831E7.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 179
OzAK looks like he is one of the "hill people". Temps are 15 degrees warmer, the sun can be seen a month earlier...in other words he is in the banana belt of Fairbanks. Try off Badger Road...that is cold! I was up there this past weekend, that is as much snow as I can remember seeing. When I was little I remember the snow was really deep and the moose would not get off the roads. They would just trot ahead of the car as you drove along. One of those moose may or may not have been expired and drug into the garage and processed. My dad must have thought it was the humane thing to do. He was like that.

F5893141-3635-4869-AA4C-5D11DE4E336F.jpeg
“Spring” fishing the Naknek, got 4 hours in and then the River froze over again����. Made for a short 3 day fishing trip this week.

Attachments

• F5893141-3635-4869-AA4C-5D11DE4E336F.jpeg
    F5893141-3635-4869-AA4C-5D11DE4E336F.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 182
The current ice thickness (rivers/lakes) near Fairbanks is about 42". Our fish are still sleepy.

Gary

Sea ice is well south of Platinum...hasn’t been this much sea ice in over 20 years... bet with the Bering Sea being colder now, we’ll be in for a wet cool summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

surprisingly this winter in Labrador has been very mild and not a lot of snow in my area. spring is also coming early here, I was still leaving from my house on snowmobile last year April 26th. this year I cant as of this weekend. has been above freezing daytime temps for most of last week and all of the coming week. this year might be the first time ever I've gotten to fly floats in may!

Psychotic Fairbanks +79* temp rise - finally. And I heard a mosquito today while burning burgers on the Weber. Credit: Rick Thoman local meteorologist.

Gary

Attachments

• Ey0jrufVEAEgitq.png
    Ey0jrufVEAEgitq.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 120
Back