• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming Engine Publications...a general overview

bcone1381

PATRON
Michigan
Help us understand Lycoming publications for our engines.

I have these manuals/catalogs for my engine on my computer.
-FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet,
-Parts Catalog,
-Operator Manual,
-Installation Manual, and
-Maintenance manual.

I am seeing a lot of other documents support my manuals in the form of about 400 Service Letters, Bulletins, or Instructions that apply to the 360 ci displacement Lycoming engines.

I thought maybe it might be good to open this topic up to improve general understanding of the information a careful prudent operator has on hand to ensure safe and reliable engine operation.

Here is the Index for them.
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SSP-112-11_Index_of_SB_SL_and_SI.pdf

How do you prevent data overload? What is a best practice on how to use these pubs?

Start with 14 CFR 43.13(a), [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in Sec. 43.16. He shall use the tools, equipment, and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. If special equipment or test apparatus is recommended by the manufacturer involved, he must use that equipment or apparatus or its equivalent acceptable to the Administrator.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]You then need to go to FAA legal interpretations to see the definition of "Current". [/FONT]Carcano-Swift Avionics Services Inc - (2017) Legal Interpretation (faa.gov)

So we can use the "current " documents, or we can use other techniques or practices acceptable to the Administrator.

Now with reference to the multitude of Service Bulletins, Service Instructions and Service Letters, good luck finding all that actually apply to a given engine. What you will find is certain ones that are referenced in Airworthiness Directives. Airworthiness Directives are Rules under 14 CFR39, and to be legal you need to comply with those rules.

Some of the SBs or SLs are more important than others. The real key however is how you document any of your maintenance actions. If you reference a document in your 43.9 entry, be sure you did all the actions specified in the document, or in the sections of the document that you do reference. If you say for example, Overhauled engine in accordance with Lycoming Overhaul Manual, be careful as that overhaul manual may reference multiple other documents that you may not have looked at. It's kind of like making an annual inspection sign off that says you used the Piper Check List. If you do that, you are also saying you complied with ALL Piper Service Bulletins! I doubt there are many people that comply with all those SBs, so saying you did is a fraudulent entry. Since older versions of these documents were accepted previously by FAA, using an outdated Overhaul Manual or SB, SL, or SI would fall under acceptable method to the Administrator, unless a specific version is called for in an AD.

The more you look, the more confusing it gets!

I guess it depends on what you are doing. I have subscribed to Lycoming publications for 20 plus years, have all those huge binders and now most in pdfs. I use them for troubleshooting, parts substitution/supersedure. Use to build quite a few engines and do prop strike inspections so there is pertinent data there as well as the overhaul manual and airworthiness directives calling out a service document for proper procedure and compliance. Was glad Lycoming went digital, changing those documents in those big 3 ring binders was a bitch.

I am building an experimental. I want to have the documents to maintain and service my Lycoming engine in a prudent and reasonable manner. I think I found my limitation about what I am able to do (meaning there is too much information in this realm to digest for me). I'll just depend on a service professional to help me in this arena.

I am building an experimental. I want to have the documents to maintain and service my Lycoming engine in a prudent and reasonable manner. I think I found my limitation about what I am able to do (meaning there is too much information in this realm to digest for me). I'll just depend on a service professional to help me in this arena.

Can you find a mentor? If you were close to me I would help you out.

Tim

Thanks for the offer, Tim! I'm maybe 18 months away from flying.

Would a list of only the essential Service bulletins, Letter and Instructions as they apply to an operator and maintainer, as opposed to a overhauler bo okay?. Like the 400 hour exhaust valve wobble test? I can hunt that service bulletin down. But there are others that I don't know of that are essential. Maybe someone has a list they could share.

Thanks for the offer, Tim! I'm maybe 18 months away from flying.

Would a list of only the essential Service bulletins, Letter and Instructions as they apply to an operator and maintainer, as opposed to a overhauler bo okay?. Like the 400 hour exhaust valve wobble test? I can hunt that service bulletin down. But there are others that I don't know of that are essential. Maybe someone has a list they could share.

I had the same questions and wanted to better understand my engines operation and service requirements. Penn College in association with Lycoming presents a one week Lycoming Engine Service School Training Program in Williamsport PA. It covers construction, theory of operation, and servicing of Lycoming reciprocating engines. As the brochure states, it’s “designed to assist maintenance professionals such as pilots, aircraft owners and experimental aircraft builders to better understand their engines and systems”. It’s a 5 day 40 hr class with the morning focused on theory (Service Bulletins etc) and the afternoon tearing down and rebuilding an engine. I think it’s around $1,600 for the week.

https://www.lycoming.com/engine-school-2021

my class had 13 people of which 10 were A&Ps and 3 experimental builders. The instructor was a ex Lycoming employee and A&P/IA. I found it invaluable in increasing my understanding of the operation and best maintenance of my engine. Highly recommend it.....

Back