Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Port-A-Port

Post Thanks / Like

Port-A-Port

A Port-A-Port hangar is going on auction in my area. Anyone know anything about them? How are they to move?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if any of you have had them, have you had any luck on dodging taxes because they are technically "portable"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_herron1 View Post
    Also, if any of you have had them, have you had any luck on dodging taxes because they are technically "portable"?
    If located are on an airport lease in my state they get taxed a personal property, or you can tag them as a commercial trailer.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    If located are on an airport lease in my state they get taxed a personal property, or you can tag them as a commercial trailer.
    It isn't now, nor would it be, if I bought it, on airport property.

Post Thanks / Like
    We bought them and planted them, along with Nunnos, on a City airport. Worked fine for 40 years, and after five years they were depreciated to zero, so no tax.
    Now the worry warts decided we needed a lease, and failed to read the fine print. Lease holders, in eleven more years, will be told by the city,at the city's option, to either
    Remove your hangar at your expense,
    give up ownership of your hangar to the city.
    There is no other option - of course the city can opt to re-sell your hangar to you, but it may have to go to open bid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    We bought them and planted them, along with Nunnos, on a City airport. Worked fine for 40 years, and after five years they were depreciated to zero, so no tax.
    Now the worry warts decided we needed a lease, and failed to read the fine print. Lease holders, in eleven more years, will be told by the city,at the city's option, to either
    Remove your hangar at your expense,
    give up ownership of your hangar to the city.
    There is no other option - of course the city can opt to re-sell your hangar to you, but it may have to go to open bid.
    I think I'd take it away and put it somewhere more friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe, but I like to fly, and am getting way more than I am paying for.

Post Thanks / Like
    It all makes me happy I don't have to fly in an urban environment or deal with public airports.
    Likes bubb2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You lucky landowner, you! Yeah, I would like to be in the country, but San Diego, crowded as it is, has some significant advantages. And I don't have to mow the grass. The pavement is chewing up the 8:00x4s and 26" Goodyears at an alarming rate, and the bastriges are going to groove the runway for our continuous year-round rain storms. Seriously! That oughta keep Goodyear in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least you don't have to worry about mud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, the thing went for over $6,000. I guess I'll be looking at quonsets.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are six Port-a-Port hangars on my airport.
    The value in them isn't so much the hangar itself,
    but the fact that it's on the airport with an existing land lease or land rental arrangement.
    FWIW I rented one for about a year, years ago--
    kind of a PITA to open & close the doors but not a deal killer.
    Esp when it a choice between a Port-a-Port hangar or no hangar.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes DJG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I open snd close the doors on two of them daily. Every 40 years or so you have to replace the giant springs. Every six months a shot of oil . . .
    Also open Nunnos about three times a week. Harder, but if oiled as above, can be done with one hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    And yeah, around here a Port-A-Port has gone as high as $26 grand. That is because, like boat slips, you are buying from a private individual the right to lease a city property.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, this one didn't come with any land, but was just in someone's yard, and had to be moved out within two days of the auction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Bob..., I'm also in San Diego and I have personally moved my port-a port. If you need to move one, be sure all the structure is sound. If not, re-inforce as needed. I made up a gizzmo to attach wheels and hooked up the trailer hitch (built into the hangar originally, but can easily be added), and towed it away. I only moved it from one end of the airport to the other.., if you are going some distance, the sides of the hangar need to be either removed or in some cases retracted into the main body of the hangar.(a lot more work).

Post Thanks / Like
    If you choose to live in an asphalt jungle you're going to pay,pay pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe - I surely get my money's worth. I pay $292/mo. for both hangars total, and for that I get daily use of the rest of the airport for whatever I pay in taxes. My insurance is more than that, counting CFI and insurance on the instructional Cub. I feel like I am stealing . . .
    I was 3% of all daily operations until Coast came in with a dozen Cherokees, three twins, and four Cirrusi. Now I am under 2% - at the eighth busiest airport in the US. Still having a blast.
    Likes AkPA/18, luke_herron1, 180Marty, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe - I surely get my money's worth. I pay $292/mo. for both hangars total, and for that I get daily use of the rest of the airport for whatever I pay in taxes. My insurance is more than that, counting CFI and insurance on the instructional Cub. I feel like I am stealing . . .
    I was 3% of all daily operations until Coast came in with a dozen Cherokees, three twins, and four Cirrusi. Now I am under 2% - at the eighth busiest airport in the US. Still having a blast.
    Maybe you can get a patch made up at the local outlaw biker embroidery shop.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  4.7 KB
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Cub junkie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it Cirrusi or Cirri?