• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Atlee Dodge Spar Splice?

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
I heard that Atlee has a spar splice repair for replacing the inboard spar section when they get ripped out. If it exists, have any of you done this, and would you do it again?

I don't think you can splice a spar inboard of the strut if that is what you are talking about. But I have been wrong before.
DENNY

I think you can use Piper data for outboard. An STC would work for inboard, and it is possible Atlee did that. A new spar is not that expensive in comparison to the shop labor rates that would be involved.

A quick check indicates that Atlee hasn't done it. You might call them to make sure.

Last edited:
Is this a temporary repair to get it out of the brush, or trying to keep it flying long term? Atlee did lots of temporary stuff to get them home. Dan H. at Dan's Aircraft has some of those parts.

Charly Center (crosswinds STOL) has a kit to repair the spar where the wing mounts to the fuselage, it doesn’t go inboard very far - you’d have to call him for details.

The use-case for the repair is when the wing gets ripped off the fuselage.

You’re only allowed to splice a spar outboard of the strut attach.

I attached the spar splice repair drawings..

Attachments

• 0A41226F-742F-492B-896E-E3FCB831EF8A.png
    0A41226F-742F-492B-896E-E3FCB831EF8A.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 3A5E0E2F-0DD1-4A7F-9647-B60294C13552.png
    3A5E0E2F-0DD1-4A7F-9647-B60294C13552.png
    85 KB · Views: 100
Thans for the replies. I was aware of the standard spar repair and rule regarding splice locations, but when I heard about this I thought I would ask. I have a few spars that are perfect except the attach point. I already have new spars for my airplane to replace them but did not want to pitch these spars if there is a potential repair for them.

There's no sense in repairing them if they aren't in a covered wing.

It's what the inboard spar repair is meant for - to repair the spar without having to recover the wing.

Back