• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Passenger access/egress

AV8R_1951

I want to build a Super Cub replica, but my wife and I are, as they say, “of a certain age”. Can anyone recommend any particular design/build track to pursue to make it easier for a passenger to get into her seat? My first thought was structural mods, but I’m certainly open to other ideas.

Thanks,
Alan

Look at the Airframes 4 place Cub. It has a huge door with a low sill open to most of the seat 12's have a similar mod. I am putting a even bigger one for ease of front entry also on a Javron cub. The other issue is steps on the gear. With 31 inch tires the long step tends to be to high. Gabe at airframes pointed out that cubs evolved from a J3 and intended to be flown from the back. The old stock cub step is a better setup for the back seat but gets in the way of the belly pod. Nothing wrong with adding a few extra tubes to the gear to get you a step or two that fits your wife. Pivot the final steps perpendicular to Airframe so it is a simple side step to get into the seat.
DENNY

Thanks, Denny. I knew that sidestepping would be part of the answer, but was envisioning her using a small collapsible rig we bought at Wallyworld - set it up, use it, then retract it into the cockpit using a light bit of rope. It was the fuselage tubing that has me scratching my head. I’ll look look into the Airframes answer.

Like Denny said, the stock stirrup step works great for getting into and out of the rear seat. If you're experimental you might be able to come up with an even bigger one making things easier.

As for the front seat I'm convinced the middle step on the landing gear leg is the best thing ever. The long step welded towards the top of the gear is really nice to have, especially for getting up to the wing to fuel the plane but it can be a bit too high for regular entry. Maybe if you're welding steps on yourself you can find a way to install a long step slightly lower, like perhaps 6-8 inches down from the top of the gear leg.

Good thoughts, Crash. The other half of the problem is enlarging the door so my wife/navigator can get past the pilot’s seat after I slide it forward and flip the seatback forward. The Airframes Alaska approach looks interesting at this point. I wrote them about the possibility of buying plans of that portion of their 4 place fuselage.

Alan

Definitely go with the Denny door if you can build it in. Pretty much the biggest door I've ever seen on a cub. The only thing missing is the fold-out boarding ramp.

Backcountry’s door goes back far enough to make back seat access/egress pretty simple. The left side window is big enough for emergency egress with plenty of room to spare. It's a mirror image of the top door on the right side.

Attachments

• CE5FAECE-CA22-4E8B-9C15-B2987B999691.jpg
    CE5FAECE-CA22-4E8B-9C15-B2987B999691.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 838BB0CA-4528-4AC1-82D5-E6E0CBF23C60.jpg
    838BB0CA-4528-4AC1-82D5-E6E0CBF23C60.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Back