Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have your head up your A*S?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
    Are we men? Can you not handle contrary information presented with comedy and rhetoric? Rhetoric and comedy have informed people, posting factual links on the internet never has. I only did as there was a direct request. Why do you have a problem with the idea of colonoscopies possibly being a net negative on health? America is one of the only places where it is widespread procedure done on most everyone at 50. Is the rest of the world dying at horribly higher rates of colon cancer?
    I have no issue with a contrary opinion, but I do take issue with your lack of respect especially for patients, those we have lost, professionals, and for those of us who have been care givers to lost friends and loved ones. But then again, perhaps I'm a bit jaded.

So like I said previously, have a nice life.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-07-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks 68Papa thanked for this post
    Likes 68Papa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
    Are we men? Can you not handle contrary information presented with comedy and rhetoric? Rhetoric and comedy have informed people, posting factual links on the internet never has. I only did as there was a direct request. Why do you have a problem with the idea of colonoscopies possibly being a net negative on health? America is one of the only places where it is widespread procedure done on most everyone at 50. Is the rest of the world dying at horribly higher rates of colon cancer?
    “is the rest of the world dying at a horribly higher rates of Colon Cancer?” YES! The Unites States isn’t even in the top twenty five... remember...this is a good post, regardless of tone, humor or approach! Sometimes information is just that...information...do as you each wish with it...screen yourselves the best way you feel necessary. Here are a few pictures of me...I present because I want YOU to each take care of YOU...FACT only 13% of people with stage IV live five years...my colon cancer has been in my liver and now lungs...! I will DIE sooner then I planned...but I’ll never give up..Best to each of you!.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40E7982A-1F7D-4A08-98A4-672E38158C31.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	55148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040B7360-32E1-4528-9400-1CD1416B7FFB.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	55150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14C9B99B-62C5-44C9-92FC-A289D87232ED.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	55149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58D1A641-D81C-4812-82DE-80E656BCB106.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	55151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF11ACD8-779E-4157-8B1C-E3558274E6E8.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	55152
    Thanks OLDCROWE, 180Marty, mam90, Brian M, 68Papa thanked for this post
    Likes 68Papa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Effectiveness of screening colonoscopy in reducing the risk of death from right and left colon cancer: a large community-based study
    Chyke A Doubeni,1 Douglas A Corley,2 Virginia P Quinn,3 Christopher D Jensen,2 Ann G Zauber,4 Michael Goodman,5 Jill R Johnson,1 Shivan J Mehta,6
    Tracy A Becerra,3 Wei K Zhao,2 Joanne Schottinger,3 V Paul Doria-Rose,7 Theodore R Levin,2 Noel S Weiss,8 Robert H Fletcher9
    Endoscopy

► Additional material is published online only. To view please visit the journal online (http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/ gutjnl-2016-312712).
    For numbered affiliations see end of article.
    Correspondence to
    Professor Chyke A Doubeni, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Gates 2, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia PA 19104, USA; Chyke.Doubeni@uphs.upenn. edu
    Received 24 July 2016 Revised 20 September 2016 Accepted 25 September 2016 Published Online First
    12 October 2016

ABSTRACT
    Objective Screening colonoscopy's effectiveness in reducing colorectal cancer mortality risk in community populations is unclear, particularly for right-colon cancers, leading to recommendations against its use for screening in some countries. This study aimed to determine whether, among average-risk people, receipt of screening colonoscopy reduces the risk of dying from both right-colon and left-colon/rectal cancers.

Design We conducted a nested case–control study
    with incidence-density matching in screening-eligible Kaiser Permanente members. Patients who were 55–
    90 years old on their colorectal cancer death date during 2006–2012 were matched on diagnosis (reference) date to controls on age, sex, health plan enrolment duration and geographical region. We excluded patients at increased colorectal cancer risk, or with prior colorectal cancer diagnosis or colectomy. The association between screening colonoscopy receipt in the 10-year period before the reference date and colorectal cancer death risk was evaluated while accounting for other screening exposures.

Results We analysed 1747 patients who died from colorectal cancer and 3460 colorectal cancer-free controls. Compared with no endoscopic screening, receipt of a screening colonoscopy was associated with a 67% reduction in the risk of death from any colorectal cancer (adjusted OR (aOR)=0.33, 95% CI 0.21 to 0.52). By cancer location, screening colonoscopy was associated with a 65% reduction in risk of death for right-colon cancers (aOR=0.35, CI 0.18 to 0.65) and a 75% reduction for left-colon/rectal cancers (aOR=0.25, CI 0.12 to 0.53).
    Conclusions Screening colonoscopy was associated with a substantial and comparably decreased mortality risk for both right-sided and left-sided cancers within a large community-based population.

https://gut.bmj.com/content/gutjnl/67/2/291.full.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why you go to a doctor whose name isn’t Google. Odds are that he/she has a better handle on the medical facts than you and Dr Google can find together.

Get a doctor you trust and follow his/her recommendations. Or, listen to total strangers and convince yourself that means you’re “thinking for yourself.”
    Likes mam90, OLDCROWE, hotrod180 liked this post