• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Do you have your head up your A*S?

Everyone gets to do whatever they want I was just making those interested aware that there is risk involved in the procedure and it isn't the super greatest thing ever that they claim. Please do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Actually, it looks to me like your original post was an attempt to make people feel ignorant for obtaining what most trained physicians will say is a reasonable procedure with acceptable risk based on the statistics. And then you added the grade school reference to butthole surfers which really doesn’t help anyone take your post seriously, like your latest post references anal probing. Whatever your motivation, whether fear of the procedure for yourself or distrust of the “system”, you would likely get a better response by interacting in a more adult manner. But it’s the internet, so please do what makes you happy.

Actually, it looks to me like your original post was an attempt to make people feel ignorant for obtaining what most trained physicians will say is a reasonable procedure with acceptable risk based on the statistics. And then you added the grade school reference to butthole surfers which really doesn’t help anyone take your post seriously, like your latest post references anal probing. Whatever your motivation, whether fear of the procedure for yourself or distrust of the “system”, you would likely get a better response by interacting in a more adult manner. But it’s the internet, so please do what makes you happy.
Perhaps tone was wrong, on the other hand it is information that goes against an entrenched created 'norm' so perhaps that tone is required. Of course people that have already had the procedure are going to have the hardest time re-evaluating the benefits. I don't expect many to look into it, and whatever people choose to do is fine by me. I believe, as do others, that it is a practice that has negative at least as often as positive outcomes and no one shares this information as the pro poop chute inspection complex is big on protecting their racket. Imagine making money off a procedure that is recommended to every single person at age 50 there is a lot of money of behind the scoping narrative.

My Doc recommends the annual "at home" poop test as an alternative to the probe.
Something to think about with that:
If you don’t have symptoms and have a colonoscopy as a screening test, the law requires that insurance covers it 100% from the first dollar. If you do the home test (ColoGuard) and it’s positive, the follow up colonoscopy is diagnostic, which means it’ll be applied to your deductible and copay. ColoGuard has components which test for cancer DNA and also for blood. So, if you have hemorrhoids that turn your ColoGuard positive, you’ll wind up paying the $5000 yourself.

I remember seeing 1 in a thousand as the number of perforations... The 'dreaded' cancerous polyps removed at age 50 would take 50 years to kill most people and they will be dead of something else before then.

I cannot find any information to the numbers above. Would you please post references so people can make informed decisions? Everything you've posted so far seems more like conspiracy theory than science.

"Association between screening colonoscopy and colorectal cancer mortality: In our sample, 24 (1.4%) cases and 120 (3.5%) controls had screening colonoscopy during the observation period. Compared with patients who did not receive endoscopic screening, those who received screening colonoscopy had a 67% lower risk of dying from any colorectal cancer." https://gut.bmj.com/content/67/2/291

Last edited:
I cannot find any information to the numbers above. Would you please post references so people can make informed decisions? Everything you've posted so far seems more like conspiracy theory than science.

"Association between screening colonoscopy and colorectal cancer mortality: In our sample, 24 (1.4%) cases and 120 (3.5%) controls had screening colonoscopy during the observation period. Compared with patients who did not receive endoscopic screening, those who received screening colonoscopy had a 67% lower risk of dying from any colorectal cancer." https://gut.bmj.com/content/67/2/291
Iatrogenic colonic perforations (ICPs) are an infrequent but severe complication of colonoscopy. Globally, the incidence is estimated to be 0.016–0.8% for diagnostic colonoscopies and 0.02–8% for therapeutic colonoscopies [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10], but considering the increasing numbers of screening, diagnostic, and therapeutic colonoscopies being performed every year, the frequency of ICP is not insignificant [11, 12].
https://wjes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13017-018-0162-9
You can average that out to agree with your predispositions either way. There is more evidence out there that scoping has a net negative effect on health, those with polyps removed are more likely to develop cancer, etc. As with everything that goes against the mainstream money machine it is well beyond page 5 in search results and there is no convincing people that have bought into the idea. Anyone that has been roofied and sodomized by a medical professional in the name of prevention is unlikely to accept the idea that it might not be a good idea. But for those few with an open mind I suggest they look a little harder. Again I'm not telling anyone what to do the go no go decision is everyone's to make for themselves.

Iatrogenic colonic perforations (ICPs) are an infrequent but severe complication of colonoscopy. Globally, the incidence is estimated to be 0.016–0.8% for diagnostic colonoscopies and 0.02–8% for therapeutic colonoscopies [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10], but considering the increasing numbers of screening, diagnostic, and therapeutic colonoscopies being performed every year, the frequency of ICP is not insignificant [11, 12].
https://wjes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13017-018-0162-9
You can average that out to agree with your predispositions either way. There is more evidence out there that scoping has a net negative effect on health, those with polyps removed are more likely to develop cancer, etc. As with everything that goes against the mainstream money machine it is well beyond page 5 in search results and there is no convincing people that have bought into the idea. Anyone that has been roofied and sodomized by a medical professional in the name of prevention is unlikely to accept the idea that it might not be a good idea. But for those few with an open mind I suggest they look a little harder. Again I'm not telling anyone what to do the go no go decision is everyone's to make for themselves.
"Perhaps tone was wrong" Yet it continues...

Don't want the test, don't get it, just remember not to complain if you end up with what the procedure is looking to prevent and in the mean time have a nice life.

"Perhaps tone was wrong" Yet it continues...

Don't want the test, don't get it, just remember not to complain if you end up with what the procedure is looking to prevent and in the mean time have a nice life.
Are we men? Can you not handle contrary information presented with comedy and rhetoric? Rhetoric and comedy have informed people, posting factual links on the internet never has. I only did as there was a direct request. Why do you have a problem with the idea of colonoscopies possibly being a net negative on health? America is one of the only places where it is widespread procedure done on most everyone at 50. Is the rest of the world dying at horribly higher rates of colon cancer?

I know of two people in my small town that had perforations and they were never the same. What's funny, I found out after the fact, that the doctor that did mine, caused at least one perforation. Makes me think that God must have a little say in how things work out.

Are we men? Can you not handle contrary information presented with comedy and rhetoric? Rhetoric and comedy have informed people, posting factual links on the internet never has. I only did as there was a direct request. Why do you have a problem with the idea of colonoscopies possibly being a net negative on health? America is one of the only places where it is widespread procedure done on most everyone at 50. Is the rest of the world dying at horribly higher rates of colon cancer?

I have no issue with a contrary opinion, but I do take issue with your lack of respect especially for patients, those we have lost, professionals, and for those of us who have been care givers to lost friends and loved ones. But then again, perhaps I'm a bit jaded.

So like I said previously, have a nice life.

Last edited:

“is the rest of the world dying at a horribly higher rates of Colon Cancer?” YES! The Unites States isn’t even in the top twenty five... remember...this is a good post, regardless of tone, humor or approach! Sometimes information is just that...information...do as you each wish with it...screen yourselves the best way you feel necessary. Here are a few pictures of me...I present because I want YOU to each take care of YOU...FACT only 13% of people with stage IV live five years...my colon cancer has been in my liver and now lungs...! I will DIE sooner then I planned...but I’ll never give up..Best to each of you!. 40E7982A-1F7D-4A08-98A4-672E38158C31.jpg040B7360-32E1-4528-9400-1CD1416B7FFB.jpg14C9B99B-62C5-44C9-92FC-A289D87232ED.jpg58D1A641-D81C-4812-82DE-80E656BCB106.jpgCF11ACD8-779E-4157-8B1C-E3558274E6E8.jpg

Attachments

• 40E7982A-1F7D-4A08-98A4-672E38158C31.jpg
    40E7982A-1F7D-4A08-98A4-672E38158C31.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 126
  • 14C9B99B-62C5-44C9-92FC-A289D87232ED.jpg
    14C9B99B-62C5-44C9-92FC-A289D87232ED.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 040B7360-32E1-4528-9400-1CD1416B7FFB.jpg
    040B7360-32E1-4528-9400-1CD1416B7FFB.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 58D1A641-D81C-4812-82DE-80E656BCB106.jpg
    58D1A641-D81C-4812-82DE-80E656BCB106.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 102
  • CF11ACD8-779E-4157-8B1C-E3558274E6E8.jpg
    CF11ACD8-779E-4157-8B1C-E3558274E6E8.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 109
ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Effectiveness of screening colonoscopy in reducing the risk of death from right and left colon cancer: a large community-based study
Chyke A Doubeni,1 Douglas A Corley,2 Virginia P Quinn,3 Christopher D Jensen,2 Ann G Zauber,4 Michael Goodman,5 Jill R Johnson,1 Shivan J Mehta,6
Tracy A Becerra,3 Wei K Zhao,2 Joanne Schottinger,3 V Paul Doria-Rose,7 Theodore R Levin,2 Noel S Weiss,8 Robert H Fletcher9
Endoscopy

► Additional material is published online only. To view please visit the journal online (http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/ gutjnl-2016-312712).
For numbered affiliations see end of article.
Correspondence to
Professor Chyke A Doubeni, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Gates 2, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia PA 19104, USA; Chyke.Doubeni@uphs.upenn. edu
Received 24 July 2016 Revised 20 September 2016 Accepted 25 September 2016 Published Online First
12 October 2016

ABSTRACT
Objective Screening colonoscopy's effectiveness in reducing colorectal cancer mortality risk in community populations is unclear, particularly for right-colon cancers, leading to recommendations against its use for screening in some countries. This study aimed to determine whether, among average-risk people, receipt of screening colonoscopy reduces the risk of dying from both right-colon and left-colon/rectal cancers.

Design We conducted a nested case–control study
with incidence-density matching in screening-eligible Kaiser Permanente members. Patients who were 55–
90 years old on their colorectal cancer death date during 2006–2012 were matched on diagnosis (reference) date to controls on age, sex, health plan enrolment duration and geographical region. We excluded patients at increased colorectal cancer risk, or with prior colorectal cancer diagnosis or colectomy. The association between screening colonoscopy receipt in the 10-year period before the reference date and colorectal cancer death risk was evaluated while accounting for other screening exposures.

Results We analysed 1747 patients who died from colorectal cancer and 3460 colorectal cancer-free controls. Compared with no endoscopic screening, receipt of a screening colonoscopy was associated with a 67% reduction in the risk of death from any colorectal cancer (adjusted OR (aOR)=0.33, 95% CI 0.21 to 0.52). By cancer location, screening colonoscopy was associated with a 65% reduction in risk of death for right-colon cancers (aOR=0.35, CI 0.18 to 0.65) and a 75% reduction for left-colon/rectal cancers (aOR=0.25, CI 0.12 to 0.53).
Conclusions Screening colonoscopy was associated with a substantial and comparably decreased mortality risk for both right-sided and left-sided cancers within a large community-based population.

https://gut.bmj.com/content/gutjnl/67/2/291.full.pdf

This is why you go to a doctor whose name isn’t Google. Odds are that he/she has a better handle on the medical facts than you and Dr Google can find together.

Get a doctor you trust and follow his/her recommendations. Or, listen to total strangers and convince yourself that means you’re “thinking for yourself.”

Back