• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Test flight after full restoration L18-C

gravytime

Headed out to do the test flight for my L18-C after a 5 year full restoration in a couple of weeks. Anyone have a good plan for the first time back in the pattern or any other good checks after being on the ground for years? Planing for a few turns in the pattern checking trim and rigging on the first flight then heading out on a few longer flights to help with engine break in before the 14hr ferry flight back home. Engine is a C90-8F and I installed a wind driven generator and a radio. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• 5856D55F-3C68-44DE-AD8D-934E3713E9E5.jpeg
    5856D55F-3C68-44DE-AD8D-934E3713E9E5.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 171
Have you turned to the EAA resources? They have lots of material on first flights.

Your plane looks terrific. The reflection of the markings on the underside of the the wing is remarkable; it’s like a mirror.

The first hour on your C90 is the most important one. I only run them on the ground for one minute at a time then check for leaks and anything loose. Some guys tow them to the runway so they don't get hot taxiing. Run it as hard as you can the first hour but keep the speed up so it doesn't get hot.

Glenn

Who did the restoration?

We started at Desert Rat Aviation at Ak-Chin (A39) south of Phoenix. They did about 90% of the work including covering and paint. Moved it to Gosshawk Unlimited in Casa Grande last summer to finish it up. Engine was done at Don’s Dream Machines.

Have you turned to the EAA resources? They have lots of material on first flights.

Your plane looks terrific. The reflection of the markings on the underside of the the wing is remarkable; it’s like a mirror.

Thanks for the info. Will dig around the EAA website and see what I can find. We like the paint! Was just olive drab when it came off the assembly line for the Army in 1952 but we decided to add some L-4 style D-Day insignia to make it more interesting. One of only 11 other L18-C that are still in the US.

The first hour on your C90 is the most important one. I only run them on the ground for one minute at a time then check for leaks and anything loose. Some guys tow them to the runway so they don't get hot taxiing. Run it as hard as you can the first hour but keep the speed up so it doesn't get hot.

Glenn
Thanks for the info Glenn. Lee from Dons Dream Machines said he included some break-in info when he sent the engine back out to Arizona. Haven’t got a chance to look at it yet.

Attachments

• 94686853-356B-47C1-A6E5-EAD5F7534E25.jpg
    94686853-356B-47C1-A6E5-EAD5F7534E25.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 134
We started at Desert Rat Aviation at Ak-Chin (A39) south of Phoenix. They did about 90% of the work including covering and paint. Moved it to Gosshawk Unlimited in Casa Grande last summer to finish it up. Engine was done at Don’s Dream Machines.

Haha nice! I am pretty sure my old battery box is in your airplane. Goshawk bought it off me for a L-18 project.

Back