Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: Best floats going to a super cub 150

  1. #41
    DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bolivia
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend told me Wip charged his Nonprofit $40K to take a Caravan off amphibs and install existing wheel gear. Got to Florida and the ferry company wouldn't install the ferry tank because of a terribly inaccurate weight and balance. Premium prices don't always mean premium service.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1

  2. #42
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    10,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post

    But, the reason EDO 2000s cost so much less than Wips or Aerocets is that you're not having to pay the cost of certification and development, mostly.

    MTV
    A big reason that EDO 2000 are priced cheaper is that the rivit count is alot less then Wips. EDO started out building 5 sided floats like 1320s. Things changed when they started building 1400s and 2000s. Round top floats have a third less rivits then 5 sided floats and maybe half the labor because they jig up quicker. 15 years ago I stopped in at Wipline and killed some time watching 2 workers building some floats for a beaver. It took over 4 minutes per hole by the time they drilled, countersunk, debured and manipulated a bucking bar into the correct place that took a contortionist to make it happen. Times that by 10,000

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

  3. #43
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    You don’t HAVE to pay it..... just sayin..... And guys are paying CubCrafters $400,000 for a Cub.. maybe we’re all nuts...
    But they come with covered landing gear
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes mam90, ak49flyer liked this post

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    796
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my 1500A floats for my 11 back in 09 the wife told me I was nuts and didn't need them, I was one of the first 10 sets price $25,000 +/- ( more than I paid for the 11, 1320 floats and two sets of skis) now legend floats are $45,500. not metal but same design. tried to sell my 1320's and nobody wants to pay the $6,000. I wanted for them so now I had to build another plane so when I try to sell them again I will have a plane to go with them . Like someone said earlier the cheapest part of a plane is the owner.
    Likes mam90, 40m, pzinck liked this post

  5. #45
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    10,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Douten View Post
    When I bought my 1500A floats for my 11 back in 09 the wife told me I was nuts and didn't need them, I was one of the first 10 sets price $25,000 +/- ( more than I paid for the 11, 1320 floats and two sets of skis) now legend floats are $45,500. not metal but same design. tried to sell my 1320's and nobody wants to pay the $6,000. I wanted for them so now I had to build another plane so when I try to sell them again I will have a plane to go with them . Like someone said earlier the cheapest part of a plane is the owner.
    Aren't those the floats that the girl spanked you on? Maybe advertise them for sale in Cover Girl or Vogue???

    Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 03-26-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

  6. #46
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    11,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    You don’t HAVE to pay it..... just sayin..... And guys are paying CubCrafters $400,000 for a Cub.. maybe we’re all nuts...
    Well, those of us who are actually buying those things....

    MTV
    Likes mam90 liked this post

  7. #47
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    11,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    A big reason that EDO 2000 are priced cheaper is that the rivit count is alot less then Wips. EDO started out building 5 sided floats like 1320s. Things changed when they started building 1400s and 2000s. Round top floats have a third less rivits then 5 sided floats and maybe half the labor because they jig up quicker. 15 years ago I stopped in at Wipline and killed some time watching 2 workers building some floats for a beaver. It took over 4 minutes per hole by the time they drilled, countersunk, debured and manipulated a bucking bar into the correct place that took a contortionist to make it happen. Times that by 10,000

    Glenn

    Yeah, sure....and, Aerocet doesn't install ANY rivets. Price is still the same. Go figure.

    MTV

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is America- you’re free to engineer, prototype, test structures, flight test, spend years chasing certification with no sales, tool up, get your facility PMA’d, market, and support a new float, and sell a set for $15,000. Oh and it’s the 21st century, so don’t forget to pay for insurance, lawyers, taxes, regulatory compliance...
    Thanks irishfield thanked for this post

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill, Enjoy your videos. Doing kinda the same thing you did. Thank you for your advice. Hope to run into up there some day up there!
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post

  10. #50
    G44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heinrich View Post
    Just saying: having to pay over $40 grand for a set of Cub floats is just NUTS!
    $8,500 for a set of Edo 2000’s in 1975, that is when they were cranking them out so do the math, how much would that be today?
    Likes mam90 liked this post

  11. #51
    cubpilot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    $8,500 for a set of Edo 2000’s in 1975, that is when they were cranking them out so do the math, how much would that be today?
    I bought a new Ford F100 full size pickup in 1974 for $3500. (Was told I paid to much). That truck today would be 40K minimum.
    Dealer cost for a basic new cub in 1974 was about $10,000.
    So the floats were about 60 to 85% of the cost of the aircraft. Perhaps new Aerocets at $32,500 isn’t so far out of line after all....
    Ed
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes mam90, JeffP, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 2016 F-150 XLT 4WD was $40,000. Hard to find one for that today. I was doing some flying for the Cessna dealer in Anchorage in the early 80’s when the price for a new 206 hit $100,000. We all predicted the end of the new airplane market....
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  13. #53
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    2,767
    Post Thanks / Like
    An aviator neighbor where I park mentioned instead of putting money into IRA's, etc. as time passed he bought airplanes and various landing gear. Fixed them up when required. He was ahead of his time as now demand exceeds supply.

    Gary

Similar Threads

  1. Which Super Cub floats?
    By G44 in forum Float Operations
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2018, 07:40 AM
  2. Floats for Super Cub
    By Mr. Canoehead in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM
  3. Super Cub on floats
    By Heretic in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •