• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cleared for 2021 Great MN Aviation Gathering, Friday and Saturday, May 21-22

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
It is with great pleasure that we announce that the 2021 Great MN Aviation Gathering has received clearance to takeoff on Friday and Saturday, May 21-22, 2021 at the Buffalo Municipal Airport (KCFE). We gained approval from the City of Buffalo recently and have put together a terrific program of all things aviation.

Please note that we will be offering camping under the wing of your aircraft on Friday evening, and hope you will join us there!

We haven’t finalized the Hangar Flying session schedule at this point, but we have the following speakers and topics arranged:

Addis, BrianSeaplane Operations
Anderson, WaldoDeveloping Your Personal Recurrency Program
Bloch, PaulCleaning Out the Cobwebs from Your Aircraft
Braunig, RickPromoting Your Airports
Bruss, SteveAircraft Insurance: Update
Cook, ChuckCockpit Fire: My Experience
Corfman, RandleWhy You Should Fly BasicMed
Dunrud, Kevin Heib, TimCare and Feeding of Your Aircraft Engine
Halligan, PatrickMN Pilots Assn Awards
Jackson, PaulPromoting Aviation at the State Legislature level
John, JimDoolittle Raiders: Minnesota's Role in Preparing the Aircraft
Lewis, KyleAirport Advocacy and AOPA
Luger, JimUnusual Attitudes
Mack, BarbaraPreparing for Your FAA Checkride
Nauer, FredForeflight 102
Otey, NeilThoughts From the Tower
Russell, JeffPreserving Backcountry Airstrips
Vivion, MikeAn Introduction to Backcountry Flying
Vivion, MikeSurvival Gear is the Stuff in Your Pockets When You Go Out the Door of the Plane
Wyndham, BuckHogs in the Sand: Flying A10’s in the Gulf War

I hope you will be able to join us. I’ll update things here as we get closer to the date, and you can always check our website www.MNpilots.org for updates. I have posted a flyer under “President’s Message” that you can click on, download and print out. Updates will also be posted on Facebook/MNpilots.

Randy

2021-MNPA-MN-Flyer-web 3 22.jpg
Here is the flyer for the event...thanks to SJ and Sarah Dickerson for the photo, and to Santa for letting us use his Super Cub for the image!

Attachments

• 2021-MNPA-MN-Flyer-web 3 22.jpg
    2021-MNPA-MN-Flyer-web 3 22.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 149
AOPA has come through again for us, and will be presenting the Rusty Pilot seminar series on Saturday morning, beginning at 8:30 a.m. We thank them for their continued support. Thanks Mark Baker and AOPA!

Randy

We are delighted to announce that Buck Wyndham will be a speaker at the 2021 Great MN Aviation Gathering. Many of you know Buck from his work with Bill Rusk and his amazing photography during their travels in Southeast Alaska. Buck, it seems, is incredibly multi-talented, and is a terrific person. I was fortunate to meet Buck through Bill, and my life is much richer for knowing him.

Buck authored the book “Hogs in the Sand: A Gulf War A-10 Pilot’s Combat Journal”, published in 2020 by Koehlerbooks. It is a terrific read and has been nominated as a finalist in Foreward Review magazine’s 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] Annual “Indie Book of the Year” competition.

Buck graduated from college and joined the Air Force to fly his dream airplane, the A-10 Thunderbolt II, aka the “Warthog”. He became one of the very first pilots to take the mighty Warthog into battle, flying numerous missions during Operation Desert Storm. He went on to fly the T-38 Talon as an instructor, training new Air Force pilots. He is currently a captain for a major US airline, and also continues to fly privately-owned, surplus military jets as a test pilot and instructor.

Buck will be speaking on each day.

CCD75BE1-B9DF-4B58-9A9E-B40DB70FF0CD.jpg
I think you will enjoy his book, folks. I am certain that you will enjoy his presentation.

Randy

Attachments

• CCD75BE1-B9DF-4B58-9A9E-B40DB70FF0CD.jpg
    CCD75BE1-B9DF-4B58-9A9E-B40DB70FF0CD.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 126
Folks, it sounds like the Great Alaska Aviation Gathering was a success, and we are looking forward to great times at the 2021 Great MN Aviation Gathering, to be held Friday and Saturday, May 21 and 22, at the Buffalo Municipal Airport (KCFE).

Here is the schedule of Hangar Flying presentations...

Schedule of Events Friday 2021.jpg

Schedule of Events Saturday 2021.jpg

Please take a moment to visit www.mnpilots.org/gmag and click on the link to the bios for each speaker. I am totally biased, but we have a superb group of speakers addressing a wide variety of aviation topics.

In addition to Buck Wyndham, we have Captain James Johns speaking about Minnesota's role in preparing for General Doolittle's Raid on Tokyo. Captain Johns was only a lad when he worked at the hangar in St. Paul in which Doolittle's bombers were stripped down and refitted with fuel tanks, under strict secrecy. I've heard this fellow speak, and he is spectacular. We won't have many more chances to hear him, I am afraid.

Camping under your wing? You didn't hear it from me, but I know that there are many who will be doing so on Friday night after enjoying a bonfire, pizza, soft drinks and a few adult beverages.

I am also putting notes on Facebook/MNPilots, for your review.

I hope to see many of you at the GMAG!

Randy

Attachments

• Schedule of Events Friday 2021.jpg
    Schedule of Events Friday 2021.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 699
  • Schedule of Events Saturday 2021.jpg
    Schedule of Events Saturday 2021.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 876
We are delighted with the poster and program guide that was designed by none other than our very own Sarah Dickerson!

program guide 2021.jpg

2021 poster.jpg

Sarah has designed each and every GMAG program guide for us...now for seven years. You may recall that she has transitioned from being one of Kansas City's leading wedding photographer to being a professional airline captain. She is now flying 747's and is kind enough to help us out each year with the program. Thanks, Sarah!

Randy

Attachments

• 2021 poster.jpg
    2021 poster.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 514
  • program guide 2021.jpg
    program guide 2021.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 517
Nice job Sarah!! Looks great.

Many THANKS for Dr Randy for doing all the work to put this show on. Looks to be fantastic.

Bill

Back