• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

oversized t/w hub bolt

Pretty clever of them to get that approved. I wonder if it's just for 3400's or if it works on 3200's as well. ABI lists a different head bolt for each series of tailwheel. TLGW doesn't specify which tailwheel it's for. Maybe safe to assume 3400's only since that's what they make primarily.

Knurl the bolt and re install it.

Web

Add some Loctite 620 or similar into the above equation when you press it in and it will hold even better. Recommend cleaning both parts with the prescribed Loctite primer, add the Loctite (DONT smear the Loctite around with your fingers...contaminates it, affects the cure), and press away. Great results.

I kurled and then heated the head and reinstalled, lasted quite a while but ended up buying a two bolt head and no issues. When Bushwheel first started making tailwheels they would knock the bolt in, probably not always perfectly aligned and there were issues with the bolt getting loose in the head. They then started pressing them in and the manufacturing problem was solved. They still get beat to heck in the field.

Someone should ask TLGW if they have them for the 3200.

.....Someone should ask TLGW if they have them for the 3200.

All they seem to sell is 3400 series tailwheels & parts,
so if the hub bolts are different sizes I'd guess the 3200 guys are SOL.

I think a good solution would be to bore out the hub & install a press-fit steel bushing,
the ID of which would be a press-fit for the hub bolt.
You have to weigh the machine work cost vs the cost of a new hub.
One thing nice about the 3200 series is that they're easy to remove & work on--
the 3400 series, not so much.

In practical terms you're right. A new ABI-3216 tailwheel head assembly is $306 and that head bolt alone is $195. Once you deal with shipping costs and labor it somewhat limits the amount you save by replacing just the head bolt in a 3200.

An ABI-3412 tailwheel head assembly on the other hand is $484.50 and the TLGW "hog out" 3400 tailwheel head is an eye watering $1220 so I guess it makes good sense to go with an oversize pin on something that expensive.

Back