• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

So what's the best belly pod to get for a certified cub and how do I contact them

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
I need to add a belly pod to my certified super cub. I have the "tabs" as they were built into an Airframes fuse. What are my choices and how do I contact these folks? Someone said Firmin but I can't find them. Airglass, is that another one? I need light and hopefully a big door. Are there any pods that will fit when on floats too? Never had a pod before.

Bob Piatt/Alaska Bushpod. Crash Jr/Airframes/Reeves have contact info for him. He makes a nice certified and an even larger non-certified version that is sweet. And I’ve “heard” that if you buy the big one, it may come with paperwork for the certified version, and they don’t look that much different...

I think the only one that works with floats, has the tubes for wires, is Airglass.

Has worked for me.

Bill

Airglas has a larger certified carbon fiber pod advertised at 21.5lbs. I’ve had the smaller fiberglass model. Fine product. I’ve not seen the newer larger one. I’ve had good luck with their service.

Have one in stock in black and 4 weeks out on white Firmin pods. IMO they are the best although the new Airglas carbon LC-18xl pod is really nice too, just a little more expensive. The normal Firmin pod and the LC-18XL are about the same size (Airglas slightly longer) with the Firmin having a slightly taller door. The Airglas pod is about 1.5lbs lighter than the Firmin and carries 25lbs more (150lbs for Firmin vs 175 for Airglas). The Firmin has a fully removable rear door and I'm not 100% but I think the Airglas hinges at the bottom. Having the door able to come completely off is nice if you need to haul something longer than the pod that you can have hang out the back like lumber or (god forbid) a Borer prop for one of your friends.

You can't go wrong with either of them, they both compare very well. As Bill noted the Firmin pod requires some trimming of the top skirt for float fittings and, if you have one, the old school original step. The Airglas is already trimmed for floats and has the tubes for wires.

One other thing to be aware of is the Airglas pods are Stc'd ONLY for PA-18-150 models. If yours is one of the earlier small engine models converted to a -150 it's not eligible. The Firmin pods includes all PA-18 models on the STC.

Last edited:
I’m interested in how guys are putting the Firmin pods on certified Cubs without an STC. Field approval?

Interesting about the Airglas not being legal for the older PA-18’s, of which so many are STC’d to a larger engine. If they are legally STC’d to a larger engine like the O320, is the Airglas then legal for the aircraft. And how about the older Airglas, say the LC18?
Thanks

My understanding is all the Airglas pods are PA-18-150 only and regardless of having upgraded the engine under STC the plane is always what it was originally on the type certificate. Just like how J3's are still registered as J3C-65 even though they have an 85 or 90 on the nose. Original type certification doesn't change, only the installed equipment.

As far as legal on floats there's nothing in the STC saying you can't run the Firmin pod with floats. As with every STC it's up to the IA doing the paperwork to determine what STC's are compatible with each other in a given aircraft.

Lots of Firmin/Piatt pods on floats around here- you just put the holes in yourself and cut a slot in the door so it can fold down... Totally legal...

My cub is registered as a PA18A, Doesn’t say anything about the engine size. I have been operating with both the straight fuel and combination Pod.
My cub was converted to a 150 in the early 70s, and it shows 150 H.P. when you look up the N number.

Interesting; an ag version, but if it does not denote a HP rating after the 18 on the registration isn’t it a 150 when new?

Sorry I should have also noted that Airglas has a seperate STC for the PA-18A-150 listed on their website. The previous info only applies to non-Ag models.

I think all the lower size engines have that nomenclature in the model designation. For example PA-18-135. The reason I like this site so much is the learning process from so many sources!
I have a question into Airglas about that technicality Crash Jr. brings up; whether the Airglas pods are in fact technically legal on PA-18-???’s
I bet he is correct. The Airglas site shows several STC’s all referencing the PA-18-150 or -180 or CC-18.
Don’t think the FAA is overly concerned with it except when a problem brings the aircraft to their attention. And that is normal and to be expected.
Does anyone have information on STC SA02172AK

Back