• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

SHOW ME YOUR PANEL - Re-wiring my cub

I’ll second or third that motion! Download it, buy a hard copy, whatever make you happy and is most useful but if you’re fiddling around with GA airplanes and don’t have a 43.13 around, you need to. Too much real world gotta know info there to not have it. It will help you do more things right and better than almost any publication on the subject at hand that available.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I'm also re-doing a cub panel and looking at the Trig TY91 comm. radio. The data sheet for this radio indicates it has a built in intercom system. Is it limited in some way to warrant the addition of of a PS Engineering ICS for more "solid" performance?

The built-in intercom works great for me.

I’ve had the TY91 radio for six years with zero complaints, fully recommend it.

Ty91 ics

The built-in intercom works great for me.

I’ve had the TY91 radio for six years with zero complaints, fully recommend it.
Does the TY91 built in intercom require a push to talk or is it voice activated?
Thanks

If you need extra volume or need to adjust volume/vox squelch settings for open/closed windows and doors, use the knobs on the face of the intercom or go into the menu and change settings on the radio. Which is easier?
Web

This is a valid point and shouldn’t be readily dismissed if ease of use is a priority for you.

Volume is easily adjustable with the built-in intercom, but not squelch. Will an external intercom allow for higher volume than the built-in?

I’m pretty archaic on these things...if the passenger starts breaking squelch because of ambient noise, their headset gets unplugged - I never adjust squelch...maybe I would if it was easier.

Installed the TY91 radio with intercom a few years ago. I rarely fly with anyone in the back until recently. Have had no issues with my original squelch settings and volume. I have been in the back some with either my wife or new employee up front. Also flew some folks on Saturday with the window open and switched the VOX off and used the intercom push to talk buttons I installed. I really like that feature.

This is a valid point and shouldn’t be readily dismissed if ease of use is a priority for you.

Volume is easily adjustable with the built-in intercom, but not squelch. Will an external intercom allow for higher volume than the built-in?

I’m pretty archaic on these things...if the passenger starts breaking squelch because of ambient noise, their headset gets unplugged - I never adjust squelch...maybe I would if it was easier.

A note specifically about volumes. If you have a stand alone intercom, the intercom volume is adjusted with the knob on the front of that intercom. In turn the radio volume is adjusted by the volume knob on the radio itself. This works well for some if you need to adjust these volumes independently. If you use a built in intercom, the intercom volume needs to be adjusted in the menu, not with a knob.

Web

A note specifically about volumes. If you have a stand alone intercom, the intercom volume is adjusted with the knob on the front of that intercom. In turn the radio volume is adjusted by the volume knob on the radio itself. This works well for some if you need to adjust these volumes independently. If you use a built in intercom, the intercom volume needs to be adjusted in the menu, not with a knob.

Web
I know a PS Engineering ICS is stereo and you can wire a music input into it allowing stereo tunes. I don't think the TY91 has that capability. Am I wrong?

I know a PS Engineering ICS is stereo and you can wire a music input into it allowing stereo tunes. I don't think the TY91 has that capability. Am I wrong?

Stereo music input is available in some stand alone intercoms. It only helps if you have stereo audio capabilities in that model intercom (stereo or mono audio is called out in the model specs). AND, remember that 'stereo' only applies to the music; there is no such thing as a stereo radio signal when talking ship to ship or ship to ground.

Most, if not all, radios have an input marked 'auxiliary audio input'. This is a mono audio input that can be used for a variety of signals, including music. This includes the TY91.

Web

Stereo music input is available in some stand alone intercoms. It only helps if you have stereo audio capabilities in that model intercom (stereo or mono audio is called out in the model specs). AND, remember that 'stereo' only applies to the music; there is no such thing as a stereo radio signal when talking ship to ship or ship to ground.

Most, if not all, radios have an input marked 'auxiliary audio input'. This is a mono audio input that can be used for a variety of signals, including music. This includes the TY91.

Web
Don't need stereo for ship to ship or from the ATCT. Required for Zeppelin!

Don't need stereo for ship to ship or from the ATCT. Required for Zeppelin!

In that case, you'll need to find an intercom that specifically states that it has stereo audio. Not all are. Example: PS Engineering has the PM1000 (mono) and the PM3000 (stereo) and NAT has the AA80 series (mono) and the AA83 series (stereo). For both brands, the two versions are physically very similar, so read the data tags and specs. And be advised that stereo costs around double what mono costs.

More of a Doors guy myself.

Web

Dad helped me install this this winter. Waiting to put a cover plate or fab a small box to fill the center. Enjoying the layout so far. 1C2C091A-4331-4637-A631-BC46D9198915.jpg

Attachments

• 1C2C091A-4331-4637-A631-BC46D9198915.jpg
    1C2C091A-4331-4637-A631-BC46D9198915.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 304
Kind of an un-related "show me your panel" question. I'm planning a flush install of an Air Gizmo Panel Dock for my Garmin 796. This would make a great access to the back of the panel if it's installed with nut-plates for ease of access. My problem is I also want to panel mount a compass card so I'm trying to go as un-magnetic as possible. (It's probably irrelevant for a steal tube airplane install but that's just the way I am.) I can't find a stainless nut-plate anywhere and I'm not too fond of riv-nuts. Any other suggestions?

Kind of an un-related "show me your panel" question. I'm planning a flush install of an Air Gizmo Panel Dock for my Garmin 796. This would make a great access to the back of the panel if it's installed with nut-plates for ease of access. My problem is I also want to panel mount a compass card so I'm trying to go as un-magnetic as possible. (It's probably irrelevant for a steal tube airplane install but that's just the way I am.) I can't find a stainless nut-plate anywhere and I'm not too fond of riv-nuts. Any other suggestions?
Just a suggestion but before you cut that big hole in your panel take the standard 796 mount and surface attach it and give it a wirl. I love mine that way and as technology changes so can my panel because it doesn't have a giant hole in it... It really works well, no glare or overheating issues and when it's rough you have something to grip while you work the 796 with a finger or two.

Worth what ya paid for it'

Kirby

209017EB-0DBE-42D5-9C2D-946AD09D2E2E.jpeg
my current panel. Busy for a cub, but for my mission I use it all!

Attachments

• 209017EB-0DBE-42D5-9C2D-946AD09D2E2E.jpeg
    209017EB-0DBE-42D5-9C2D-946AD09D2E2E.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 246
I’m thinking of upgrading to a sensitive altimeter and a compass correction card.

790480B9-328D-4925-8B2F-C6835E02812C.jpg

Attachments

• 790480B9-328D-4925-8B2F-C6835E02812C.jpg
    790480B9-328D-4925-8B2F-C6835E02812C.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 255
My panel with the recent addition of an edm830. Breaking the engine in now. Only future plan is to replace the inop compass with an AV-20-S and mounting a sirs compass overhead signal-2021-10-24-150339.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N986U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• signal-2021-10-24-150339.jpeg
    signal-2021-10-24-150339.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 250
Moved our SIRS compass from top of dash (didn’t work and was frozen on one heading) to top left of windshield. Surprisingly accurate now.

Attachments

• 788406C4-B8E0-4BE7-A1E9-8AB6E5327DB8.jpg
    788406C4-B8E0-4BE7-A1E9-8AB6E5327DB8.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 171
Back