• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spare set of wheels & tires

Narwhal

PATRON
ANC
Hello, a quick question that I couldn't turn up by searching.

Can anyone explain to me as if I'm a 5 year old what would be required to keep a spare set of wheels with mounted tires for an easy swap from time to time? I have never changed an aircraft wheel but am trying to determine if it is practical to keep a set of mounted 8.50x6's for winter ski use and a set of 31's for summer. What sort of brake size considerations are there if I was to go this route? The airplane will start out with 31's and 1.5" brakes, so I would just be looking to make the swap to 8.50's as quick and painless as possible. Thanks!

It's a simple procedure....If you have cleveland wheels and brakes, you remove the brake pad bolts and remove the pads....then jack up the wheel, pull the cotter pin from your axle nut and remove the nut....the wheel slides off the axel (mind the bearings) then slide the spare one on (grease first as needed) istall axle nut, cotter key, brake pad, safety wire, repeat. Make sure your wheels are compatable....have someone who knows show you the first time if you are not comfortable.

Straight skis are not a problem at all. Jack up plane or hang it. Remove caliper and tire. Reassemble caliper. Stick and secure a plastic or wood spacer the width of the rotor in the caliper, because you will still try to use the brakes on occasion and you don't want to push the pucks out. Secure the caliper to the backing plate with zip tie or or wire. Attach ski. If you are going to be going to hydraulic wheel ski's be aware most have been make with 1 1/4 calipers in mind. They can be make to work with 1 1/2 calipers but often require a experienced wrench and several hours to get it right. I think some of the penetration skis may have an issue also but can't say that for sure. Once it is all rigged correctly it does not take long to change tires for skis 1-2 hours by myself, 1. Make sure you attach all extra/special spacers made to the ski when you remove them!!!!! What kind of ski are you going to run? DENNY

You already have to lift the plane and play with the brakes, cotter pins and axel nut. Only takes another 30 minutes by yourself to change tires. Save your money and buy more gas

Glenn

Disagree. Modern tubes do not do well when stored. Better to have them securely inside a tire, inflated.

I keep spare 8:00x4s mounted and ready. That way I never have flat tires on the runway or taxiway. If I did, I would get that wheel swapped out faster than they can get the forklift over to my airplane.

There is a new rule that your disabled aircraft must be 150' away from the nearest runway pavement - the airport manager will not hesitate to drag an old Cub by the shorthairs.

In over 4700 TW hrs I have only had 1 flat tire, and I mostly run used tires. Only one was landing a Stearman and didn't even notice till I couldn't taxi off the runway

Glenn

Narwhal,

I’ve always swapped tires twice a year. 29s to 850s, 31s to 800s, 35s to 850s... it’s much easier to change mounted tires/wheels that to deal with breaking down the wheels, especially on 31s. I can switch from Grove 6” wheels and brakes to ABW 10” wheels and Grove brakes or 29s to 850s both on Cleveland wheels in a few minutes. I never enjoyed breaking down wheels so I stopped doing it a long time ago. If you coordinate your two sets of wheels-rotors to assure the offsets are correct for your torque plates it’s a simple operation, and coordinating them is really simple. Your plan is a good one.

I agree with Stewart. An additional point is that it is possible to incur a bit of “wear and tear” on wheels mounting and dismounting tires. And, yes, I know if you take your time and are careful.....but.

MTV

I agree with those above. I go from 31” Bushwheels to 8.50’s and back every year. I have dedicated wheels so as not not have to remount every time. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

What kind of ski are you going to run? DENNY

Summit wheel penetration skis.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a mechanic walk me through it the first time or two. Putting a hoist in the hangar would be nice but I'm not sure if it's practical given the very high ceilings (20 foot).

Summit wheel penetration skis.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a mechanic walk me through it the first time or two. Putting a hoist in the hangar would be nice but I'm not sure if it's practical given the very high ceilings (20 foot).

As long as the structure will support it the higher the better. At one time a Cub Crafters Dealer in Connecticut would raise a Carbon Cub with a hoist, tie the tail off and then park planes for service below. Pretty slick.

Connect the spring first, use your body weight to lower the ski to get it on the axle, let the plane down and connect check cables. Pretty simple, but my jacks have always lifted high enough to connect the spring easily enough. New guys might connect the aft check first but they'll only do that once. ��

Back