• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2021 Johnson Creek Super Cub Fly In Official Info June 17-20

How many aircraft “registrations” are there so far?

As of today, 45. However, I expect this to go up. Not having a raffle will help some with keeping crowds down, plus there are some other events going on in Idaho that weekend.

It is really important that folks let us know if the are coming (via the survey) as we are required to report how many we are expecting. Certainly there will be 20+ planes that show up that weekend anyway, or that don't bother to fill out the survey.

sj

I filled out the survey but I worry that the YP Cafe is hanging out there with an investment in food if the weather goes down. Anyway we can help them out with a nonrefundable deposit or something like that if things tank?

I just received this "all good news" update from Jim Lane, caretaker @ Johnson Creek

Steve

You may wish to know and pass along that the Yellowpine store is opening under new ownership this Memorial Day weekend Supposed to be well stocked according to new owner.

Ypcorner is also opening this weekend

The Tavern has been open since we got here a couple of weeks ago

No masks or restriction here or in Yellowpine

Hey folks! We have an esteemed group of Idaho aviation experts helping us out with our next HDHP on "Get Ready for the Idaho Backcountry" This happens on June 9th, all the details can be had here:

https://www.supercub.org/HDHP/

sj

Hey all, I'll look at a keg of Sockeye. I can donate one, order another if you all want but will include that in the cost of meals. Sorry.. I can only afford to donate one. We will be ordering this week though so let me know ASAP.

Important Update from Fly In Captain Bob:

Sulfur Creek is ONLY available to us (folks flying in) on SATURDAY for up to 40 airplanes. They are booked on Friday and Sunday, so don't go there expecting to be fed. The are also open on Thursday, but you should make a reservation.

Garden Valley is having its usual fly in breakfast on Sunday, so that is a good stop.

Captain Bob is checking on the other options for fly out eating so stay tuned!

sj

Last edited:
Danger Will Robinson- Sulpher Creek is available for the Super Cub group on Saturday the 19th not Friday as Steve posted. Serving time will be from 7:30-10:00. Maybe time for a Miracle Ear SJ.

Bob never leave it up to amateurs. I corrected it...
Danger Will Robinson- Sulpher Creek is available for the Super Cub group on Saturday the 19th not Friday as Steve posted. Serving time will be from 7:30-10:00. Maybe time for a Miracle Ear SJ.

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

fires.png

One of the things we are keeping an eye on are fires. There are already some fire TFR's in the region. You will recall this event used to be in August, but the fires were so bad it was moved to June. Valley County, where McCall and Yellow Pine are located is having an abnormally dry year, so we will monitor this over the next week and hope they get some rain!

Also this means we have to be super careful about campfires, etc.

valley.png

Attachments

• fires.png
    fires.png
    721.1 KB · Views: 232
  • valley.png
    valley.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 3,195
Thank you for this. I fly smokejumpers out of mccall and we already have jumped two fires in the area in the last week. Things are definitely dry.

just a reminder, if you see smoke anywhere, TFR or not, please treat it at least like it’s the center of a class D airspace. All fires have what we call a Fire Traffic Area around it, and any smoke could have aircraft working over it or enroute. Keep your eyes open and use your radio.

hoping for the days off to fly out to this fly-in and meet some of you!

This will probably come up elsewhere, and not trying to hijack the the thread, but here's what the FTA looks like. It is NOT a TFR, and it's not regulatory. It's simply a communications protocol for us firefighting aircraft. However, we assume there is one of these over every smoke whether there are resources on scene yet or not. View attachment FireTrafficArea.pdf

Attachments

• FireTrafficArea.pdf
    397 KB · Views: 371
Kodiacmack, this is EXACTLY the kind of info that is helpful. Thank you.

sj

Kodiacmack, this is EXACTLY the kind of info that is helpful. Thank you.

sj

Yes, but the red circles depicted in that screen shot ARE TFRs, NOT Fire Traffic Areas. Look at Foreflight.....

Like any other Restricted Area, any aircraft can request permission to enter the TFR. The trick is finding the frequency and entity that can legally provide clearance to enter same.

Better to stay away....believe me.

MTV

MTV

Yes, but the red circles depicted in that screen shot ARE TFRs, NOT Fire Traffic Areas. Look at Foreflight.....

Like any other Restricted Area, any aircraft can request permission to enter the TFR. The trick is finding the frequency and entity that can legally provide clearance to enter same.

Better to stay away....believe me.

MTV

MTV

Mike, in MY screen shot that is correct - those are TFR's NOT fire areas. Here is a "live map" of current fires which gives you a little more: https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/maps/realtime/fire/

sj

I feel like I made it clear I was differentiating between the two. Point here being that just because there ISN’T a TFR doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to go have a look when you see even the smallest smoke.

I feel like I made it clear I was differentiating between the two. Point here being that just because there ISN’T a TFR doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to go have a look when you see even the smallest smoke.

Right, I just didn't want folks to think that those red circles in the screenshot of the map that Steve posted were NOT TFRs.

You're absolutely right...if you see smoke, stay well clear. As you well know, it takes some time to spool up a TFR, and in the meantime, there can be a lot of traffic around a fire.

MTV

For anyone interested:
I live in McCall and work at the jump base. I have spare beds and can help with a car time permitting if anyone ends up stuck in McCall. I have that Saturday off and am planning to come out, so if there’s anyone that desperately needs food, gear, gas, parts, etc. I’ll do what I can. You can pm me for my phone number. Looking forward to this!

Back