• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Montana floats

That'd be great.
Gear on this set is sloppy.
Put together with Igus T500 bushings TFI-0506-06, TSI-0506-06 and -08's
Got the positions off Rob at Montana Floats.
Problem is, lots if sideways slop when installed per the directions.
Measured everything up and the machined holes are good.
Going to change it up and insert flanged bushings in place of sleeved type to help pick up this slop.
Bushings are not cheap and appears that this could be an annual thing depending on useage.
The bushing do take a pounding and appear to deform.
Dave

Got any ideas? Been looking through the Igus materials and appears this T500 may be the best they have.
Would upload a video but don't think I can.
Dave

Corrosion resistance would be an issue.
Opening up the leg assy's attach points to accept the thicker walled bearings may be another one.

Got my 2200A kit today. Only 13,000 rivets to go. PXL_20211117_180908326.jpegPXL_20211117_220223186.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20211117_180908326.jpeg
    PXL_20211117_180908326.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 201
  • PXL_20211117_220223186.jpeg
    PXL_20211117_220223186.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 222
Be sure to enlarge the locker access. One of the few faults with those floats.

Just my opinion.

Congratulations, I think you’re gonna love them. The one set that I flew performed very well. When you get them done, come on up to Alaska. I would love to see you up there.

Bill

When I built my 2200s the thing that really helped was a long straight and true work table bench. I used factory made floor joists because they are straight and any length you want. Spend the time to make really good fixtures and jigs as they determine the accuracy of the finished product. Try to find a pneumatic rivet squeeze. You will really like it especially for the chines. Try to set a goal for each work session no matter how small and they will eventually get done. Have fun and enjoy the process.

That'd be great.
Gear on this set is sloppy.
Put together with Igus T500 bushings TFI-0506-06, TSI-0506-06 and -08's
Got the positions off Rob at Montana Floats.
Problem is, lots if sideways slop when installed per the directions.
Measured everything up and the machined holes are good.
Going to change it up and insert flanged bushings in place of sleeved type to help pick up this slop.
Bushings are not cheap and appears that this could be an annual thing depending on useage.
The bushing do take a pounding and appear to deform.
Dave

I'm still waiting to hear back from my other friend...he'd most likely know.
John

Hope you have an air squeezer!

If not, I will see if I can hunt mine back down. Makes at least the chines faster.

Got my 2200A kit today. Only 13,000 rivets to go. View attachment 58368View attachment 58369
Good stuff.
Just replaced all the plastic bushings in the left gear on a set here.
Tightened up real nice. did not follow any verbal instructions.
Ordered up all TFI-0506-08 bushings. Cut the excess off where needed.
Added flanged bushings on the gear arms where sleeves should have gone and it took up all the sideways slop.
Now have a gear actuator leaking.
Is there a part number on your new ones?
Dave

Wild
Tough repairing these things when there is limited info.
Did they send you some sort of build manual and/or parts list?
Is the landing gear box and gear assy completely assembled?

Now have a gear actuator leaking.
Is there a part number on your new ones?
Dave

Wild
Tough repairing these things when there is limited info.
Did they send you some sort of build manual and/or parts list?
Dave, I don't know where you are located. Here in the Boston area there is a local Bearing supply store which also sells "O" rings. Your best bet will be to carefully dismantle the cylinder, remove the "O" rings and take them to a store near you. Replace them with like sized "O" rings made of Buna N material. These commercially available "O" rings are identical to the fancy "aviation FAA approved" "O" rings. And they are relatively inexpensive. Buy extras, as sometimes it is easy to damage one while putting the parts back together.

I had a leaking actuator so I sent it to Rob at Montana Float and he repaired it, tested it, and returned it working perfectly.

Located on the west coast of Canada.
Certified aircraft mechanic type.
The guys with this Murphy Elite on Montana floats asked me to help them out with an engine issue (another story) when they noticed the gear was real sloppy.
New bushing but used flanged type on the gear legs instead of sleeve type. Picked up all the sideways slop. Also previous folks in this never really snugged up the bolts.
Anyway, all back together.
Now they see a gear actuator leaking, slightly.
Just got the parts breakdown from Rob at Montana. Should be an easy fix.
Thanks for all the info.
Dave

Several thousand rivets later, and I've found that Sikaflex 291 is a pretty good hair/beard mousse. Just comb it through, and you've got a set that will hold up to freshwater and saltwater. PXL_20220118_225758939~2.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20220118_225758939~2.jpeg
    PXL_20220118_225758939~2.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 197
How did your 2200 floats come out? I’m considering the 2400 amphibs for our 1,200lb Legend Cub, but after just finishing the plane last June am dragging my heels on building more instead of being out flying!

Last edited:
How did your 2200 floats come out? I’m considering the 2400 amphibs for our 1,200lb Legend Cub, but after just finishing the plane last June am dragging my heels on building more instead of being out flying!
You don't have to build them yourself. They come prebuilt or in kits. They are great floats. The 2400s have 6:00-6 tires which is better on grass than the 2200 float's 5:00-5.

2015-spring-sale.jpg
https://montanafloat.com/2400-series-amphib-floats/

You might want to contact them. I was told last year they weren't doing kits anymore. Hopefully that has changed?

Progress has stalled. Too many projects.

Just spoke with Rob @ Montana Float. They have a set of 2200 amphibs in stock (390-395lbs installed). Production has slowed to a crawl while he and his biz partner await finalization of company acquisition from the deceased owner's executor. Should have more word by end of June. Once that's squared away, he estimates 6 mo lead times for build orders.

Back