• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flaps or Avionics?

Herc

Big Lake, Alaska
Where do I start... I've just purchased an engine from Ly-con, let the wait begin. Here is my question. I have roughly 25k to spend to go along with this engine upgrade. Currently I'm going with a CGR-30P, new motor mount, sutton exhaust with a rear mounted oil cooler and the heating upgrade. This leaves me with roughly 18k. I'm leaning towards P-Stol flaps, BlackOps suspension (once the STC is approved) and a trig transponder. My question is, should I be looking at anything else; or is my current plan a good one? I'm damn excited to get this new B2B installed as I currently have an O290-D2.

Sure you need a transponder? If you're not flying into Canada, etc, you don't need it. Keep it simple, as in a good radio and intercom, with a portable GPS. The CGR-30P is spot on for this panel and aircraft.

Web

I definitely do not need a transponder but thought it would be a good addition, especially transitioning anchorage airspace. To be honest it would be the first thing to get removed from my list.

Sent from my SM-N986U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Looks like you are going from an O290 to an O320, but you didn’t indicate any prop in the list of changes. What do you plan for the prop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The prop on it now is an 82/41, I do not plan on changing that till I see how the RPMs look. Will be ordering new baffling from Airforms. The new engine will come with a lightweight starter and I should be able to use my current alternator, but I'll need to verify that. I am unfamiliar with Randy Rubbert and his exhaust. What difference does it make that mine is earlier than a 1955? It is a 1951

I think the thrustline would be a great addition to my list, thanks

I think you'll find the O-290 and the O-320 have different size prop flanges, or at least the O-290-11 in my '51 L-21A did. I'm pretty sure you'll need a new prop.

looking through my logs it looks like a 35 amp Motorola A-12NAM-451

I did not realize the borer came in different size flanges. Here is what's on it now.signal-2021-03-12-115219.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N986U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• signal-2021-03-12-115219.jpeg
    signal-2021-03-12-115219.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 134
If you look at where the regulator is mounted on the firewall, see if there is a blue capacitor almost as big as a soda can mounted next to it.

Web

You can ride it till it dies or replace it with the engine. Your choice, but there are better systems out there.

Web

Might be a good idea to replace it then, do you have a recommended system? I'm heading into Merrill field instruments today to order the engine monitor. One of the questions I was going to ask is if the 30p would also take the place of my aerospace logic volt/amp meter

The 30P takes the place of almost all engine instruments, including the volt/amps functions.

I like the direct drive alternators from B&C or Plane-Power. If you don't want to go that route, use the Plane-Power SAL12-70 kit. Let me know if you need one of these or the wires for the system.

Web

You can ride it till it dies or replace it with the engine. Your choice, but there are better systems out there. Web

My thought is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Given the wish list, I'd do this last if at all.
Easy to swap the alternator out later if & when it does die.

Might be a good idea to replace it then, do you have a recommended system? I'm heading into Merrill field instruments today to order the engine monitor. One of the questions I was going to ask is if the 30p would also take the place of my aerospace logic volt/amp meter
Hope your not in a hurry for that 30P. I ordered mine Dec 18th last year and it just came yesterday. Good luck.

Back