Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Load with my Experimental Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I'm guessing they are usually 4130 tubing?
    Not critical in your application. You are just needing something to stabilize and tie on your load.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.40.39 AM.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	54765
    The lumber rack is to protect the bottom of airplane, the handle bars could come off and twist to make them less prone to hitting something. I talked to the guy that did this set up and he did it by himself in less then 10 minutes (attaching). Getting it off is easy. I am going to build my rack a little different and have some kind of ratchet set up that I can run with a cordless drill maybe. Still kicking around ideas. You take the one footpeg off and use that one clevis as a secure attach point with a pin and then two ratchet straps and I think it would be pretty quick and painless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Durango View Post
    Would someone mind educating me about where the operating limitations are found for an experimental aircraft. Also if they are filed and can be found with the FAA. PM me if you want. Thank you!
    If you're asking about where the individual aircraft's operating limitations are found, then several folks have answered your question. (i.e., they are in the airplane as a part of the airworthiness certificate.)

If you are asking where to find the operating limitations as called out in FAA guidance, then check out FAA Order 8130.2. The current version is 8130.2J (which may soon be replaced by 8130.2H). You can view it here:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...er_8130.2J.pdf

The operating limitations table is found near the end of the document, in an appendix. Have fun!!
    Joe

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
    Thanks Kid Durango thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I rigged a DeWalt impact driver, not a drill, to my tractors snowblower chute rotater, works great, those things are torquey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Didn't Jay get one for a scooter on the side of his experimental Super Cub?

I do have a scooter for the plane and it works great, but it is installed as part of my airframe and allowed specifically in my Operating Limitations. The key was NOT to use the wording "external load" as this has a bad flavor. I have recently installed some other external brackets onto my plane, with no adverse changes to the flight characteristics noted in my aircraft logs. Permanent installations such as changing tail springs, wheels etc. that are bolted on, are considered part of the airframe and not external loads. I would assume a one wheel or bike bungee corded to the strut might be considered an external load due to its temporary install. YMMV but this is how I interrupt the rules.
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    What we really need is some small version of a Flying Boxcar, twin booms, drop down ramp, ride right in......I'm working on it.
    Starting with a single engine 337? I like the idea of an OV10 platform but it’s a damn twin, like the boxcars little brother.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Post Thanks / Like
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    any progress with a rack?

Post Thanks / Like
    it is on my list of things to do. I have been side tracked get Bushwacker 2.0 engine back on an running. I think tomorrow is the day for the new engine to take to the air.
    Likes jrussl, Olibuilt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a little walk around video of Bushwacker 2.0 the other day. If anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CiLoVKWNoE&t=4s

I misstated the weight in the video so before anyone goes there is no way it is as light as a Super Cub... They would be correct it is 1359 empty not 1059 as I said in the video.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post
    Likes gahi, Olibuilt, jprax, Vmc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bushwacker 2.0 is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    I did a little walk around video of Bushwacker 2.0 the other day. If anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CiLoVKWNoE&t=4s

I misstated the weight in the video so before anyone goes there is no way it is as light as a Super Cub... They would be correct it is 1359 empty not 1059 as I said in the video.
    Would love to see details about your wheel design? Nothing is better than watching a block of billet get whittled down to perfection...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by motosix View Post
    Would love to see details about your wheel design? Nothing is better than watching a block of billet get whittled down to perfection...
    I did the wheel design 16 years ago before 35" Bushwheels were a thing. I wanted 35" tires but there were no wheels that would work with a straight 1.5" diameter axle. I took a Cleveland wheel and reverse engineered it and then took weight out. I built 13 sets from billet mostly for guys in Alaska. Bill Duncan took the idea and had it cast and that is how they are done today. My wheels on Bushwacker have had more material taken out then the first 13 sets did, I did not want any liability so I over built them. I think they were 10.5 pounds a wheel back then mine are in the low 7 pound range. I could still take more out knowing what I know now but for a few pounds it is not worth the effort.
    Likes motosix, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    I did the wheel design 16 years ago before 35" Bushwheels were a thing. I wanted 35" tires but there were no wheels that would work with a straight 1.5" diameter axle. I took a Cleveland wheel and reverse engineered it and then took weight out. I built 13 sets from billet mostly for guys in Alaska. Bill Duncan took the idea and had it cast and that is how they are done today. My wheels on Bushwacker have had more material taken out then the first 13 sets did, I did not want any liability so I over built them. I think they were 10.5 pounds a wheel back then mine are in the low 7 pound range. I could still take more out knowing what I know now but for a few pounds it is not worth the effort.
    Not sure about everyone else, but I really enjoy it when you cover the design and build of those parts in your videos. I really appreciate it, although I will say those moments always give me some new idea that invariably costs me lots of time and money in the end. Those of you with CAM skills and direct access to a CNC make us all green with envy.
    Likes Kid Durango, tedwaltman1 liked this post