• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

External Load with my Experimental Super Cub

I agree, but any airplane that’s gotten it’s Airworthiness certificate since February 2002 will have a limitation about operations with external stuff mounted and the need to flight test in that configuration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read through my Experimental Operating Limitations, issued in July of 2011, and can’t see wording mentioning external stuff. The only thing that seems to come close is the mention of a major change needing to comply with 91.319b.

Would the external load restriction be obvious?

If I can figure out how to stuff the Montague in the S-7S, with your skill set and what your day job is, hanging the KTM from the belly ought to be a piece of cake. You probably have it done already! You got me thinking....maybe I can carry my non folding e fatbike similar, hanging from a belly rack.

Here's my third ebike getting stuffed into and out of my day job wheels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMhTUvn93E&t=10s In case it isn't obvious, having my own transportation on jobs when lunchtime rolls around is handier than breaking down the National and trying to fit it through a drive-thru.

Here is my plan. I want to hang my KTM 300.

Here is another idea. Easy to load, no oil or gas leaking...

Small removable platform into the axle.

Not my idea, but I love it:

116022833_644794583124872_3469267598312446683_n.jpg

Attachments

• 116022833_644794583124872_3469267598312446683_n.jpg
    116022833_644794583124872_3469267598312446683_n.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 238
I assume the plane pictured has a cantilevered wing, or are the lfit struts further back? If not where are the lift struts?! That idea would work for me with my fatbike, and I got excited until I remembered my lift struts would be in the way.

Last edited:
Image1615862722.715383.jpg

Started developing a hay bale rack that would release the bale with a trigger mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

IMG_8830.JPG

Attachments

• Image1615862722.715383.jpg
    Image1615862722.715383.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8830.JPG
    IMG_8830.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 391
You’ll need a set of 35s if you want to haul a round bale!...I like your style. That makes checking waters and putting out hay a lot more fun.

You’ll need a set of 35s if you want to haul a round bale!...I like your style. That makes checking waters and putting out hay a lot more fun.

LOL

In my younger years I'd put out 30 100-pound square bales each morning for our small herd. Now if you could drop that from a cub, that would be something.

View attachment 54692
Here is my plan. I want to hang my KTM 300. Probably a lot like this although I will probably will build my own rack that has a ratchet system to raise and lower. I guess since I have the repairman's certificate I should be able to test and sign it off for flight.
Now I want to build a rack! Getting an FA Dodge lumber rack down here to Bolivia wouldn't be worth the trouble but I'd like to build a copy of one for the Experimental Cub we operate here. Does anyone have pictures? Sketches? I'm guessing they are usually 4130 tubing?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Handlebar clearance will be the thing, unlike my folding bars on my cranebike, folding bars aren't a dirt bike thing, for good reason. The rack is the easy part, the method or system for lifting and securing it, without it being a giant PITA, will be the trick part. If it's a struggle every time, and takes half an hour.....I've found the more streamlined the process is for getting my Montague bike out and riding off, 3 minutes, increases the utility of the concept tremendously. Plus the wow factor of taxiing up somewhere, and magically riding high off at a high rate of speed a short time later, it's like a magic trick every time I do it, even after 20 years of doing it. What we really need is some small version of a Flying Boxcar, twin booms, drop down ramp, ride right in......I'm working on it.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.40.39 AM.png
The lumber rack is to protect the bottom of airplane, the handle bars could come off and twist to make them less prone to hitting something. I talked to the guy that did this set up and he did it by himself in less then 10 minutes (attaching). Getting it off is easy. I am going to build my rack a little different and have some kind of ratchet set up that I can run with a cordless drill maybe. Still kicking around ideas. You take the one footpeg off and use that one clevis as a secure attach point with a pin and then two ratchet straps and I think it would be pretty quick and painless.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.40.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.40.39 AM.png
    507.8 KB · Views: 161
Would someone mind educating me about where the operating limitations are found for an experimental aircraft. Also if they are filed and can be found with the FAA. PM me if you want. Thank you!

If you're asking about where the individual aircraft's operating limitations are found, then several folks have answered your question. (i.e., they are in the airplane as a part of the airworthiness certificate.)

If you are asking where to find the operating limitations as called out in FAA guidance, then check out FAA Order 8130.2. The current version is 8130.2J (which may soon be replaced by 8130.2H). You can view it here:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_Order_8130.2J.pdf

The operating limitations table is found near the end of the document, in an appendix. Have fun!!

I rigged a DeWalt impact driver, not a drill, to my tractors snowblower chute rotater, works great, those things are torquey!

Didn't Jay get one for a scooter on the side of his experimental Super Cub?

I do have a scooter for the plane and it works great, but it is installed as part of my airframe and allowed specifically in my Operating Limitations. The key was NOT to use the wording "external load" as this has a bad flavor. I have recently installed some other external brackets onto my plane, with no adverse changes to the flight characteristics noted in my aircraft logs. Permanent installations such as changing tail springs, wheels etc. that are bolted on, are considered part of the airframe and not external loads. I would assume a one wheel or bike bungee corded to the strut might be considered an external load due to its temporary install. YMMV but this is how I interrupt the rules.

What we really need is some small version of a Flying Boxcar, twin booms, drop down ramp, ride right in......I'm working on it.

Starting with a single engine 337? I like the idea of an OV10 platform but it’s a damn twin, like the boxcars little brother.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

ub20_v1.jpg
burnelliU20withcara.jpg

it is on my list of things to do. I have been side tracked get Bushwacker 2.0 engine back on an running. I think tomorrow is the day for the new engine to take to the air.

I did a little walk around video of Bushwacker 2.0 the other day. If anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CiLoVKWNoE&t=4s

I misstated the weight in the video so before anyone goes there is no way it is as light as a Super Cub... They would be correct it is 1359 empty not 1059 as I said in the video.

Would love to see details about your wheel design? Nothing is better than watching a block of billet get whittled down to perfection...

Would love to see details about your wheel design? Nothing is better than watching a block of billet get whittled down to perfection...

I did the wheel design 16 years ago before 35" Bushwheels were a thing. I wanted 35" tires but there were no wheels that would work with a straight 1.5" diameter axle. I took a Cleveland wheel and reverse engineered it and then took weight out. I built 13 sets from billet mostly for guys in Alaska. Bill Duncan took the idea and had it cast and that is how they are done today. My wheels on Bushwacker have had more material taken out then the first 13 sets did, I did not want any liability so I over built them. I think they were 10.5 pounds a wheel back then mine are in the low 7 pound range. I could still take more out knowing what I know now but for a few pounds it is not worth the effort.

I did the wheel design 16 years ago before 35" Bushwheels were a thing. I wanted 35" tires but there were no wheels that would work with a straight 1.5" diameter axle. I took a Cleveland wheel and reverse engineered it and then took weight out. I built 13 sets from billet mostly for guys in Alaska. Bill Duncan took the idea and had it cast and that is how they are done today. My wheels on Bushwacker have had more material taken out then the first 13 sets did, I did not want any liability so I over built them. I think they were 10.5 pounds a wheel back then mine are in the low 7 pound range. I could still take more out knowing what I know now but for a few pounds it is not worth the effort.

Not sure about everyone else, but I really enjoy it when you cover the design and build of those parts in your videos. I really appreciate it, although I will say those moments always give me some new idea that invariably costs me lots of time and money in the end. Those of you with CAM skills and direct access to a CNC make us all green with envy. :)

Back