• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska GarminPilot /ForeFlight revisited

Recently got a renewed subscription to FlyQ VFR+IFR for $39.95/year. Not being computer/smartphone savvy it is the best deal for me. Heck, all I really want is the sectionals anyways. I have also had AVARE on my Android phone for several years. On a recent flight from MN to Oregon, I actually preferred using my smartphone with the Avare over the mini iPad. I guess I just like simple and easy to use. Computer/techie stuff just frustrates me, basic is best since I'm a fair weather VFR guy anyways.

What are opinions for the best 8" Android tablet for running Garmin Pilot?

Gordon, I've got an 8" Samsung "Galaxy Tab A" that I bought about 5 years ago, it's still going strong.
Paid about $200 for it back then, but I see that one (or similar from Samsung) for like $125 at Costco or Walmart these days.

Thank you for the disparaging comments. It reinforces everything I’ve come to dislike about the website. Mike was right. Social media really does suck.

I didn't really see any "disparaging comments", at least none directed at you, just differing opinions.
Don't take it so personal.

I have tried both but there are 2 big reasons foreflight still wins:

1. Garmin pilot will not work with wifi based ads-b receivers like Stratux. If this is not true someone please let me know.

2. Garmin pilot has much more limited chart supplement fufunctionality, namely bookmarks. In foreflight I can bookmark the chart supplement, and flying out of Merrill or Hood, that's kind of a big deal.

Thanks Eric, Best Buy has good deals and generous return terms right now, so I'll give that a try. I bought a Mini6 to replace my ailing Samsung S2. I like the GP features on it, but it's kinda hard to read in bright light. So I'll compare the two and keep one of them.

As a former GP user and now FF user I wouldn't mind any updates on new improvements to GP that keeps a person in their camp. Especially with regards to detailed terrain overlays on their map page. That's where FF dominates IMO.

Jerry

I use ForeFlight when I fly for fun and at work. In the Husky I tried using my iPhone over the mini as it seems to have a brighter screen. However it will get warm and dim after a certain amount of time way before the mini ever would have a problem. I like the brightness and screen size better on my phone but the overheating problem with the phone is an issue that I’d love to resolve.

I run a GDL with pilot for adsb in

Yeah, I think that's the issue, Garmin Pilot will only work with Garmin brand ADS-B in receivers like your GDL. GDL's use a bluetooth signal as far as I know, but I don't own one. Foreflight will work with just about any brand of ADS-B in receiver whether they use wi-fi or bluetooth to communicate with your portable electronic device.

Yes, the gdl is bluetooth. I do think FF is a better app, but I use an android phone.

Back