• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

disappointed in Airframes Alaska tech support for bushwheels

astjp2

Utah/Alaska
I got asked by the local avionics guy to install a set of 29x11x10 bush wheels and landis nose fork with 8.50 onto a P206. Went to bolt the wheels and brakes on to the mains, the inside of the brake rotor was hitting the gear...WTF?
The radio guy wants it to be new, because you know that someone is paying $9k for this upgrades should get what they pay for. So I call a buddy on Merrill and he said to double check the brake rotors between the original cleveland and the ABI1010, well the ABI1010 rotor is about 1/4" taller. So he recommended that I call ABI. Next day, I contact someone at ABI, the tech guy said he would sell me a shallower rotor, but it was not approved per their drawing. WTH! Ok, what about spacers for the axle, well those are not approved either....so you sold an STC and PMA for an aircraft that does not fit...and put it on the mechanic to sort it out...so to say that I was irritated, is an understatement.

I came up with a solution using the Cessna IPC to space out the original axle. Which is aluminum of course. Hopefully in a few days this project will be done. Oh and I could hear my buddy giggling in the back ground when I asked him WTF and he said he hoped they would be helpful but was not surprised...snicker giggle...

Welcome to the real world- find 10 other 206’s/185’s, cubs, etc, and you’ll find nearly as many combinations of wheels, discs, calipers, axles, axles with/without shoulders/spacers, gear legs, torque plates, etc. etc... You just gotta put on the big boy pants and figure out a solution, which it sounds like you did- this is why you get the big bucks... it’s very possible that there’s a good reason for the difference between your plane and their kit- (aftermarket axles, etc). I have no reason to defend them, just saying if you don’t like situations like this, you might be in the wrong industry, because it’s a frequent occurrence...

Welcome to the real world- find 10 other 206’s/185’s, cubs, etc, and you’ll find nearly as many combinations of wheels, discs, calipers, axles, axles with/without shoulders/spacers, gear legs, torque plates, etc. etc... You just gotta put on the big boy pants and figure out a solution, which it sounds like you did- this is why you get the big bucks... it’s very possible that there’s a good reason for the difference between your plane and their kit- (aftermarket axles, etc). I have no reason to defend them, just saying if you don’t like situations like this, you might be in the wrong industry, because it’s a frequent occurrence...
I learned that working in a warbird restoration shop. Got asked to install an STC'd battery box on an older Bonanza. I thought it would be a piece of cake, nothing to fabricate, just bolt it on. Wrong, major PITA. Seems there is a lot of that. Still learning to adapt and overcome, think three steps ahead and who to call that might have better insight than me. My Rolodex and now cell phone are worth a fortune to me. Over time I figure out which sales people would blow smoke up my but, which ones knew their stuff and which FAA guy that gave a $hit and would try to help. Problem is a lot of the people I have relied on for years are retired or dead.

Well don't get me started with the **** show that is called Cub Crafters, I mostly work on unsupported airplanes and have to improvise to keep them flying for my weekend gig. I also dont get big bucks doing this on weekends...but I was hoping for better support (explanation) for an STC'd/PMA'd product on an airplane that you can still get factory parts for. But hey, while you pull up your big boy pants and don't bitch, it allows these companies to put out marginal support and doesn't force them to get their **** together.

Well don't get me started with the **** show that is called Cub Crafters, I mostly work on unsupported airplanes and have to improvise to keep them flying for my weekend gig. I also dont get big bucks doing this on weekends...but I was hoping for better support (explanation) for an STC'd/PMA'd product on an airplane that you can still get factory parts for. But hey, while you pull up your big boy pants and don't bitch, it allows these companies to put out marginal support and doesn't force them to get their **** together.

Just opens the door for other vendors....

So...if said STC and PMA product doesn’t actually fit...shouldn’t the STC be review and pulled? With people having to jump through so many hoops to get STCs, should they truly work as prescribed...

I got asked by the local avionics guy to install a set of 29x11x10 bush wheels and landis nose fork with 8.50 onto a P206. Went to bolt the wheels and brakes on to the mains, the inside of the brake rotor was hitting the gear...WTF?
The radio guy wants it to be new, because you know that someone is paying $9k for this upgrades should get what they pay for. So I call a buddy on Merrill and he said to double check the brake rotors between the original cleveland and the ABI1010, well the ABI1010 rotor is about 1/4" taller. So he recommended that I call ABI. Next day, I contact someone at ABI, the tech guy said he would sell me a shallower rotor, but it was not approved per their drawing. WTH! Ok, what about spacers for the axle, well those are not approved either....so you sold an STC and PMA for an aircraft that does not fit...and put it on the mechanic to sort it out...so to say that I was irritated, is an understatement.

I came up with a solution using the Cessna IPC to space out the original axle. Which is aluminum of course. Hopefully in a few days this project will be done. Oh and I could hear my buddy giggling in the back ground when I asked him WTF and he said he hoped they would be helpful but was not surprised...snicker giggle...

Kinda sounds like their smelly fuel bags and melting fittings in them. Call and inquire and you’ll get admonished for putting MOGAS in them. It’s called Alaskatude. Big dose of it there.

My experience with Airframes Alaska has always been great. I have always gotten an answer and they are always very willing to help. I appreciate them as a business.

Joe

Kinda sounds like their smelly fuel bags and melting fittings in them. Call and inquire and you’ll get admonished for putting MOGAS in them. It’s called Alaskatude. Big dose of it there.
Yea, I got some of that over a fuel bag as well.

Speaking generally, not about Airframes specifically. Some sales people will act like they know things and try to buffalo you. The ones that I go to time and time again will admit they don't know something and find out. That is how I end up meeting the engineering staff at different places.

The AOPA giveaway Super Cub is in for an annual and the Electroair ignition system is installed on the right side and all the bottom plugs are their special fine wire plugs. Although the installation manual wasn't in the paperwork I downloaded it but couldn't find the spark plug gap. It was there but I couldn't see the forest for the trees. They guy that answered the phone couldn't answer my question, put me on hold and came back some time later with the correct gap .029"-.036. Come to find out someone gapped them to the conventional spark plugs of about .018". The CHTs have been creeping up higher than we would like to see so I was curious if this could have caused the issue. Called back and again he didn't know the answer but took my name and number and would have the engineer call me back. Wasn't my smoking gun but made a new contact.

Same with Aerotronics yesterday. Called to see how to get the Garmin 660 out of this nicely machined custom mount that also holds 2 G5s and they hooked me up with the guy they installed all of it and burned the midnight oil at Roger Meger's place to get it to Sun & Fun on time. Asked if he knew Kase and he said that was his flight instructor. Communication, the key to finding it out and getting it done for me. Plus I enjoy meeting new people. ;)

PXL_20210310_230926615.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210310_230926615.jpg
    PXL_20210310_230926615.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,846
On the other hand, I bought a set of their wheels and brakes for a C-175. Their paperwork allowed as how the 175 was covered by their STC. Before they shipped, they told me they didn’t have the STC, but they provided Atlee’s STC at no additional cost to me.

Frankly, having seen so many different axle, wheel, brake and landing gear combination on various Cessnas, I’m amazed ANYthing fits without a bit of “adaptation”.

MTV

Never had anything but good customer service with them ��*♂️

Always had good service from them. Longtime customer and have purchased several tire and wheel/brake combinations over the years.

On your weekend gig, maybe you need to be more than just a parts changer and quit blaming the vendor

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Sometimes shimming a little more camber into the axle will fix the interference between brake rotor and gear leg.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That is why my Dad quit working on televisions many years ago cause no matter what you did it caused the next problem.

Bought a set of wheels and brakes for my C-185 from them as they were reported to be STC'd for the C-185 in the website. We installed them, they fit fine, but after going over all the paperwork there is no C-185 listed in the STC. Called AA and they said "Oh ya some of our sales people have been telling people that but they are not on the STC. WTF.

Nothing BUT mogas in my two gas bags I got from them, zero issues, other then the caps being a bit iffy. I don't pour out of them but pump.

I got the STC wheels and brakes for my Howard years ago. Came with the STC paperwork, but absolutely no instructions or drawings. Just boxes drop shipped from Parker Hannifin with wheels, brakes, and master cylinders. Had to fabricate mounting for the master cylinders, fabricate all new brake lines and flex lines. Figure out where to mount all the stuff and keep it clear of the controls and make sure there was enough slack for the gear to move through it's normal stroke. Just because something has an STC, don't count on it actually fitting.

Back