• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Favorite Axe continued.....

Cub Special Ed

MT/SD
So I guess there's a few other members that like to shred an axe once in a while. Whats your favorite guitar/amp combo? I built an hss strat. Goal was to be able to go from Clapton to ac/dc and in between. Turned out prety well. Getting back into it after years of being away. I have an ibanez that ive had for years and its a nice one but have been attached to this strat now. Still though, id have to say my favorite was the sg, alough its hard to get the strat sound. I put shawbucker and two fender noisless single coils for puckups, nice pots/swich, one tone for singles and one for shawbucker, new old style saddles, new tree, new jack, and coolest invention of all time...locking tuners!!! My two amps are a fender frontman 25r and a marshall mg10. Definately prefer the fender amp. Anyway, lets see you axes! 20210308_184118.jpg

Attachments

• 20210308_184118.jpg
    20210308_184118.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 174
current_project copy.jpeg

Current project - Experimental category

Attachments

• current_project copy.jpeg
    current_project copy.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 189
Made me look it up, I love learning something new!

Guitar
Slang

The Axe – or Ax, depending on whom you ask – is possibly the most common slang word for a guitar. Surprisingly, the term dates back to the mid-'50s when jazz musicians used it as a slang word for saxophone. Over time, it became a go-to term for the electric guitar.

Doc Severinson came to our high school in 1965 and played with our band. He called his trumpet his ax.

Good move to start this thread.. I have a lot to share, just don't have time to do it at the moment as I am busy killin' rats as Steve Pierce would say.

sj

Doc Severinson came to our high school in 1965 and played with our band. He called his trumpet his ax.

Former Professional Musician and U.S. Air Force Bandsman here - anything you use regularly to earn your pay - i.e. play music - is referred to as your ax. This does not include your emergency back up horn or something you're trying out - only your trusty regular.

At least that's the way it was when I was playing. It's been a long long time ( Harry James' reference) so things may have changed.

I have a couple of these to as a means of damaging the ears of others.
IMG_8817-1.jpg

Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_8817-1.jpg
    IMG_8817-1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 169
This is mine. 1939 Gibson J55

Rich

Attachments

• 563B80C9-E56E-4448-8529-668BF2FC98AD.jpeg
    563B80C9-E56E-4448-8529-668BF2FC98AD.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 6D8B8249-F9E8-49F0-931E-05E20096F4B1.jpeg
    6D8B8249-F9E8-49F0-931E-05E20096F4B1.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 138
I’ve been building Classical and Flamenco guitars up here in Talkeetna using local spruce and birch and Cottenwood as well as other found and sustainable woods.

I’ve also got a 72 corona Strat for rattling the walls and windows.

Rocket

look up three rivers guitars on the insta of you want to see more.

4D8134F9-EBF8-4F46-92CB-981BBFA2FAE2.jpegCCE9A37E-A860-4D59-8176-0916DBA66558.jpeg

Attachments

• 639D3793-0D60-4DF0-94B7-D535070E6F8D.jpeg
    639D3793-0D60-4DF0-94B7-D535070E6F8D.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 4D8134F9-EBF8-4F46-92CB-981BBFA2FAE2.jpeg
    4D8134F9-EBF8-4F46-92CB-981BBFA2FAE2.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 155
  • CCE9A37E-A860-4D59-8176-0916DBA66558.jpeg
    CCE9A37E-A860-4D59-8176-0916DBA66558.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 157
My first guitar. My favorite Aunt left it to me when I was about 12. She got it when she was a kid. No market value but it’s very special to me.

Attachments

• 0966683C-30F8-4157-B7D5-AF57E5BB5C09.jpg
    0966683C-30F8-4157-B7D5-AF57E5BB5C09.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 134
If anyone knew Johnny Baker that lived and flew his cub off of the Talkeetna village strip, taxied right into his yard, Trapper John they called him. He had milled wood for a few houses locally and I have some of those woods to build with.

He also had a homestead about 12 miles south of Talkeetna on the Sue, always mowed a fifty foot piece sign on the end of the grass strip he had there. I still find beat up cub parts here tucked in rafters and corners of out buildings on his old place on D street where we reside.

Sadly Johnny passed away about a year and a half ago and I regret having not spent more time with him in his final days...

Rocket

Not a great picture of it, but my dad built me this Hughes Dulcimer kit 12 string guitar over fifty years ago. It had the hardest action and not the greatest sound, but I probably played it for 5000 hours. Because of that early experience, I still tend to put way too much pressure on fretted instrument I play. As others have said, no street value, but priceless.

hughes.png

Attachments

• hughes.png
    hughes.png
    627.7 KB · Views: 940
Not a great picture of it, but my dad built me this Hughes Dulcimer kit 12 string guitar over fifty years ago. It had the hardest action and not the greatest sound, but I probably played it for 5000 hours. Because of that early experience, I still tend to put way too much pressure on fretted instrument I play. As others have said, no street value, but priceless.

View attachment 54660

My first guitar came from Green Stamps. The action was more useful for slicing cheese than anything else. When I got my first good guitar in 1965, an Epiphone Cortez, I couldn’t believe how easy it was to play.

Rich

I found a better picture of my Gibson J55. Back story: I met Jay Geils when I got to college in 1964 before he played guitar. He was a horn player. Later founded the J.Geils band and was pretty hot in the 70’s and 80’s. We stayed friends all those years until he passed about four years ago. He had a great collection of arch top acoustic and electric vintage guitars. About 10 years ago I was looking for an old Gibson flat top. I was picking his brain and he said he had this one he would let go because he was not into flat tops. The reason he had it at all was it came in a deal for another guitar he really wanted.

There were 55 of these made in 1939 and the only year they had the “Stair Step” headstock. Only two other models ever had that and only in 1939. The ES 250 and the J 100. Jay had all three but somebody offered him “stupid money” for the ES 250. Once that was sold, he sold the other two.

Attachments

• 803A43D1-431E-4ED5-9A6E-3D875B73E051.jpeg
    803A43D1-431E-4ED5-9A6E-3D875B73E051.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 123
I have a beef about guitar collectors, especially those who don’t even play them. They are pricing some of these wonderful instruments out of musician’s hands (and hacks, like myself), and into glass cases, never to be seen or played again.

I’m trying to imagine how many lawns my 13 year-old self would have had to mow to save up for a ‘58 Les Paul these days. I’d probably need a combine.

I know, I know! I am aware that you can’t have too many guitars or (insert your personal obsession here) and I know why this happens. But I don’t like it.

Yes, I do yell at clouds also.

Last edited:
I have a beef about guitar collectors, especially those who don’t even play them. They are pricing some of these wonderful instruments out of musician’s hands (and hacks, like myself), and into glass cases, never to be seen or played again.

I’m trying to imagine how many lawns my 13 year-old self would have had to mow to save up for a ‘58 Les Paul these days. I’d probably need a combine.

I know, I know! I am aware that you can’t have too many guitars or (insert your personal obsession here) and I know why this happens. But I don’t like it.

Yes, I do yell at clouds also.

I tend to agree. This is the only old guitar I have unless you count the Guild D40 I bought new in 1966 for $175. That replaced the $150 Epiphone that got stolen out of my car in Boston. Mom and Dad’s insurance helped make up the difference. I worked Saturdays for several months to get the $150 for the Epi.

Jay played his vintage guitars and used vintage amps. He said if you want to sound like Charlie Christian or Muddy Waters, you have to play the same equipment . After the band went away, he had a group called Blues Time with Dick on harp and a drummer, upright bass player. They recorded two CDs in the 90’s. Also toured with B.B. King. I got to meet B at a show. Jay always referred to him as B. I tell people he was on a first letter basis with him. Then he recorded two Jazz CDs with a good group of guys. They played 40’ s and 50’s Jazz standards with Jay doing his best Charlie Christian tribute. Jay was really an excellent Jazz and blues player. Not the kind of stuff you get on Centerfold.

Rich

Gibson Byrdland. I’m left handed and doubt I’ll ever get to play one.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Saw one as a kid in a lefty guitar shop over 20 years ago. They wanted north of 10K. I’m sure Uncle Ted’s collection will go for much more.

Opening bid on the black Byrdland is 20K.

I used to play an epiphone dot upside down through a 5150. Not so much now a days. Can’t wait to retire!

I never considered myself a country music fan, and thought I had a good understanding of its roots (Ken Burns "Country Music" is pretty awesome if you have not seen it), but if you like guitars and are ever in Nashville, definitley go to the Country Music Hall of Fame - no matter what kind of music you like.

The day I took this picture, NYE 2018, we saw John Prine live for the last time for us.

On a side note, in the middle of the HUGE crowded Gaylord hotel, we ran into Steve Henry and his wife who were also visiting...

prine.png

Attachments

• prine.png
    prine.png
    503.8 KB · Views: 709
A weight and balance story. When my friend Ned was in art school a fellow student asked him if he could lend a hand pouring some lead into the base of a guitar to balance out the weight of the headstock. Ned found this an odd solution to the problem and thought why not move the heavy headstock to the base? The rest is history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Steinberger

https://thinkns.com

HT & V

Bassist in this video has a neck like that.
https://youtu.be/yvUB8UhtKvE

Rumor is that Deano and the "Nuge" will be pickin' together...........
deano guitar.jpg

Attachments

• deano guitar.jpg
    deano guitar.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 477
Back