• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin 396

jimboflying

My Garmind 396 TRex still does everything it ever did. However, sometimes it is hard to see in the sun light. Are there any better units available now?

lots out there, I have the 550 but even that is outdated now. I have had to adjust the back-lighting manually before vs the auto dimming feature (not sure if yours has that). New wise I think garmin only offers 660 and 760.

In the Cessna my Aera 500-something hasn’t been removed but it has been replaced. My iPhone with Garmin Pilot does everything better. I use the iPhone as my moving map with my G3X, too.

Attachments

• 2E983CBA-0660-4304-9820-8A638BD9063B.jpg
    2E983CBA-0660-4304-9820-8A638BD9063B.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 2785D560-57BF-48B6-8D4F-C598659D243F.jpeg
    2785D560-57BF-48B6-8D4F-C598659D243F.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 164
^^ same, I just use my phone now. Works great, gets weather updates when in cell range. Maps are always current. displays traffic with an adsb in source.

You can easily increase the brightness. Mine slips occasionally, but I can never remember how to do it. I think you momentarily bump the power button, then run the intenstity up with the up arrow. Not sure. Reduces battery charge time. We keep ours plugged into ship's power.

All I need are Bearing, Track, and Distance. I fill the fourth field with Ground Speed. The numbers are big enough that I can include them in my scan without really trying. But Sectionals are getting ridiculously expensive, so some day I may have to graduate to an iPhone.

The Aera 660 has really small text and features. Make sure you can see it, particularly if you have progressive lenses. I have been flying an RV4 with it positioned low and to the right - difficult to read the text. I don't have this problem with the 496 in my Cub.

not an aviation gps but maybe there's some maps a smarter person with electronics then me could install, But I use a garmin 276CX (the new model, not the old 276) now for the plane, boat and snowmobile. I have an aera 500 in the PA12 and its good for airport/airspace data but leaves a lot to be desired for bush flying, way to much lake and pond info missing for what I do. the 276CX with the topo maps suites my needs.

Text size (Ref Post #6) can be adjusted on the Aera 660 for some features. Select: Tools-Setup-Map then touch the Map icon to the right of the display. Under "Airport" and "Navaid" text size is user selectable. Not much but some. I haven't found a size option for features besides zooming into see details.

Gary

My Garmin Aera 660 is nearly impossible to read in sunlight. I have had no problems with the 396 in the past. The Aera has better features than my old 396, but it's way less useful because of this major problem. I'm sorry I bought the Aera. Hope this helps somebody.

I am/was considering replacing my 496 with a Aera 660 for the traffic bluetoothed from my transponder
Any one else experience the sunlight issues? In my RV8 the 496 is chest level, to the left

My eyes still accommodate fine with small print

I have an Aera 660 and absolutely love it. Have previously owned a 396, 496, and a 560. It’s my opinion that the 660 is the best one yet. No issues with sunlight more than any other electronic screen. Way brighter than my iPhone or iPad.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I have had no problems with sunlight issues with the 660 and I am in AZ where we get lots and lots of sunlight. I love the fact that you can send a ForeFlight fight plan to the 660 instantly or from the 660 to ForeFlight. Then the Auto pilot will navigate the flight plan from the 660. Very useful for those longer cross countries.

I am/was considering replacing my 496 with a Aera 660 for the traffic bluetoothed from my transponder
Any one else experience the sunlight issues? In my RV8 the 496 is chest level, to the left

My eyes still accommodate fine with small print
Our 660 is in an RV4, bottom of the panel right side. No problem with brightness. Much brighter than the Dynon FlightDek or iPad.

Thanks guys. My 496 controls Otto and picks up weather radar weather via FM (pricey)
I believe my Garmin345 will talk to the 660 and weather will be FREE!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I don't know how you can beat the cost effectiveness of a tablet for VFR flying.
I have an 8" Samsung tablet-- I paid $200 for it a few years ago,
but I see them now at Costco & else where for like $125.
Free Avare moving map/sectional/gps app.
Cheapie stratux adsb-in gizmo bluetooths traffic & weather to it.
Lots of other aviation apps available.
Both bigger & smaller (down to phone size) units are available,
to match your available panel space.
Multiple store-bought mounts are available,
or you can rig up your own using velcro.

Last edited:
Turning up the brightness to 100% during days helps see the 660 screen. There's a manual or automatic brightness option. It senses ambient light and adjusts itself if desired. Tapping the Power button goes direct to Backlight %. There's also adjustable Chart and Map color modes again via manual or auto. Tools>Setup>Display>Display Setup.

Gary

A couple days ago I was crossing Colorado and propped my iPhone on the windscreen and found (like Stewart mentioned) a very capable navigator/gps was in my pocket all along...can’t beat that for cost effectiveness

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

A year ago last Fall a friend went moose hunting in his new PA-18 on floats. The story (somewhat confusing) goes he dropped off a camp on a remote river and flew south to an airstrip to pickup a passenger/gear. He was using his iPhone GPS for nav. Somehow and somewhere the GPS didn't respond like he expected and he had a tough time getting back to his camp (maybe iPhone failed to capture a waypoint?). No charts were used or followed....nothing marked at camp (like a blue tarp) so not easily visible from the air going in reverse....all iPhone GPS. It ended up ok after an aborted hunt complicated by weather and fuel. Always have a backup plan in case the plastic gadget doesn't help.

Gary

Back