Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake bleed fitting to Goodrich brake seals

Post Thanks / Like

Brake bleed fitting to Goodrich brake seals

Hi all

Resurrecting the original brakes on my 1960 Pa18-95.

The short hydraulic tube from the Goodrich brake expander to the bleeder 'T' fitting has a B nut with a seal/Oring(s) inside it. (at least that's what i found)

Can't find a parts reference to this anywhere. Anyone have information, part number, and or source for this seal?

Was thinking I could probably use an AN 6227 of the appropriate dash number but I'd prefer a proper reference.

Thanks
    S

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210301_161437.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	54442  

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a short hunk of special rubber hose - not an O-ring. I have successfully made them with rubber sheet and punches. You might try Univair.
    That won't be your biggest problem - all those expander tubes are now over a half century old. Rubber was better then, but a half century is a long time. Keep Grove in mind for a cheaper alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    I hear you re Grove but trying to stay original as possible. These Goodrich units have been mostly stored away as the aircraft was on float. Of course that can be a problem, but they look to be in real good shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    bob has the experience with these. Often times a seal such as this appears to be a flat square sided "special" seal. An "O" ring over time forms it's shape to match where it is placed. My thoughts are an "O" ring would do the job just fine.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    I agree and I can be sure the Oring is resistant to 5606.

I guess there must be a reference document somewhere.. Given the details available for other aspects of factor supplied components.

Perhaps Piper intended to sell the entire bleeder assembly for in-service issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott 2020 View Post
    Thanks
    I agree and I can be sure the Oring is resistant to 5606.

I guess there must be a reference document somewhere.. Given the details available for other aspects of factor supplied components.

Perhaps Piper intended to sell the entire bleeder assembly for in-service issues.
    A commercial "O" ring which is made of BUNA N is compatible with the aircraft AN 6227 and the 5606 hydraulic fluid. In some applications it is called out as an acceptable substitute.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Even the proper part would cause a necking of the expander tube brass extension. Before you cheap out and stick an O ring in there, look for some soft rubber tube that is compatible with 5606. Or use Dot 5 - it eats nothing.

let me look around - maybe I can send you a used one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    Hope I I didn't give the impression that money was a motivator. I posted because my preference is to find the proper part or at least reference documentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    A brass compression sleeve and compression nut that you can find at your auto parts store will work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    I had considered the sae type compression sleave but there's no seat in either the fitting or the nut, so I believe it will seal but clearly not the correct part.