Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start removing weight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    That is assuming, of course, that you replace the "standard" battery with an Odyssey or other light weight battery.

MTV
    Just taking the battery out without it being anywhere else, moves the CG forward.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Alex, are you new to SLC and from WA? Reason I ask is we might have met at UT9 the day I soloíed
    Yup that's me! Good to hear from you. How has your flying been???

Post Thanks / Like
    I see, Denny. I assumed it had something to do with engine running to cold or shock cooling. The 120 has amazingly good heat, so I'd like to keep that going if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, what's AOSS

Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    A Sutton will work but A Hot Rod exhaust will keep you warm even well below O degrees. I have a dedicated defrost, normal cabin heat is ducted to back seat and that scat tube temp is over 200 degrees. Also have great carb heat. Coming from a low HP aircraft you are going to really like the 150hp cub. Prop will make a big difference so test fly a few if possible. A good test to see if spending a lot on lightweight mods is simple. Fill both tanks, fly for 1 hour (that should be about the 50 lb weight loss you want) now ask yourself if you notice any big change, do a landing, and takeoff. On a cub the three things than really make a difference are Borer prop, Bushwheels, and AOSS.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    A Sutton will work but A Hot Rod exhaust will keep you warm even well below O degrees. I have a dedicated defrost, normal cabin heat is ducted to back seat and that scat tube temp is over 200 degrees. Also have great carb heat.

DENNY
    Have you flown behind a Sutton exhaust much? They kick out a pretty good amount of heat. The cub that I share with my brother has a Sutton and it'll keep you toasty even in the coldest weather. Equally as good as a hot rod exhaust IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexstoll View Post
    Yup that's me! Good to hear from you. How has your flying been???
    Itís been great, I got my license soon after the day we met. I am waiting on a maintenance item to transition from the S-20 to the S-21. Should be up and flying late this week.

Glad you are enjoying Utah

Post Thanks / Like
    AOSS Alpha Omega Suspension System

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    Have you flown behind a Sutton exhaust much? They kick out a pretty good amount of heat. The cub that I share with my brother has a Sutton and it'll keep you toasty even in the coldest weather. Equally as good as a hot rod exhaust IMO.
    I agree that a Sutton puts off a good amount heat. It’s enough to keep a coffee thermos hot or cook a chosen foot. What you don’t get from the Sutton but do from the dodge or LEE is the radiant heat coming off the firewall. The difference in the middle of the summer is substantial. The combination of a Sutton and disconnected heater box makes it tolerable.
    Last edited by KevinJ; 02-27-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    Likes DENNY, RaisedByWolves, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Plane does need new bungees, I guess it's only $2000 more to just get the AOSS while at it...
    Likes aktango58 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also just want to comment on how fantastic this forum is. I came in with a question that I'm sure has been asked 6 ways already but not quite in the way I wanted, and people were all just happy to fill me in with their experience. Thanks folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex

Congrats on the pending purchase. I look forward to see it

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jay! I'd love to trade rides down at west desert that S-21 looks like a great plane

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jay! I'd love to trade rides down at west desert that S-21 looks like a great plane

I have a 5 hour dual instruction (all one day in the backcountry) required for insurance and then it will be based in Heber. Come on over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh so is this the plane that you and a friend are sharing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh so is this the plane that you and a friend are sharing?
    Correct, we both live in Heber. It is his plane, I get to rent it for a nominal fee ��
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
    Likes alexstoll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The other thing to consider, with the EarthX, do you really want to be sitting on top of a Lithium battery? While the technology has improved, my EarthX EXT900 TSO will be forward of my firewall on my PA-16. Just not 100% convinced that there isnít a fire hazard yet. Donít want that possibility in the passenger compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If that battery catches on fire it doesn't matter where its located, you have a serious problem. More than likely it will be fatal if you are in flight.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, cubflier, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Must be. George can you send me some of that money? I find it by working until 2 or 3 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you would start before 10 pm we might feel bad for you, but we know that as a married man you must take care of the cats, dogs and goats before you can go to work

Wait until you have kids, you will understand more. And we do realize your rebuild was prior to marriage... that helps.

We tease you because we respect how hard you have worked to be where you are today. Just remember we are warning you you will slow down with age...

Now, EarthX- remember that they don't charge very well if cold. I am moving mine into the cabin to get heat to it because it does not charge well in winter.

Any pound reduction under $100 is a good pound.
    Last edited by aktango58; 02-27-2021 at 10:37 PM.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Tom made all his money doing STOL competitions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    If you would start before 10 pm we might feel bad for you, but we know that as a married man you must take care of the cats, dogs and goats before you can go to work

Wait until you have kids, you will understand more. And we do realize your rebuild was prior to marriage... that helps.

We tease you because we respect how hard you have worked to be where you are today. Just remember we are warning you you will slow down with age...

Now, EarthX- remember that they don't charge very well if cold. I am moving mine into the cabin to get heat to it because it does not charge well in winter.

Any pound reduction under $100 is a good pound.

this old girl slowed me down. Changing a gear selector valve
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D8C2478-B002-49FA-8B91-BB256699D8FE.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	54409

Name:	A17D8A34-0D4A-4CEA-8BD5-D082F55BD654.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	54410
    those fittings haven’t been out in a looooong time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    If that battery catches on fire it doesn't matter where its located, you have a serious problem. More than likely it will be fatal if you are in flight.
    Agreed. I keep hearing these claims about EathX, yet I only know of one incident and it smoked the first time it was powered up. THAT leads me to believe it had problems with the install not the battery. 'My brother-in-law is a mechanic and he says....'

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes cubflier liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    this old girl slowed me down. Changing a gear selector valve

Name:	4D8C2478-B002-49FA-8B91-BB256699D8FE.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	54409

Name:	A17D8A34-0D4A-4CEA-8BD5-D082F55BD654.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	54410
    those fittings haven’t been out in a looooong time
    Had to swap that AC fitting for an AN I see. Warbird guys want all that AC stuff now to be completely original. Looks like an interesting project.

Josh Svennington was telling me about having a runaway EarthX in his experimental helicopter. From everything I have read I don't see how but he gets pretty worked up about them. I know plenty of people running them with no issues at all.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ries-ok-or-not
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    I think when this technology was first introduced, there was a lot of confusion between lithium "ion" and Lithium "iron" . That one letter makes all the difference in the world. They are really two different chemical processes, and technologies, but the name is so similar that I think there were a lot of things that were misunderstood, attributed incorrectly, etc. The Li-iron technology seems to be a much safer (though somewhat less efficient) battery - and that is what the Earth -X is. I think some of the problems that the Li-ion batteries had were miss- attributed to the Li-iron batteries and thus sullied the reputation of both technologies and specifically the Li-iron batteries. I believe that most if not all the fires and runaways were in the Li-ion series of batteries ( I could be wrong, so please don't take my meager knowledge as the gospel) but you now have a couple of terms that are similar but different (Li-ion Vs Li-iron) to google search.

Hope this helps

Bill
    This has been my impression as well. Two different chemical formulas.

https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batt...ery-technology
    "There is a lot of talk about lithium batteries these days, but not all lithium batteries are equal. There are dozens of different types of chemistry used in lithium batteries. The EarthX batteries use cells made of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry that was developed in the U.S.A. This chemistry is the highest performance, most robust and the safest on the market today."
    N1PA
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Had to swap that AC fitting for an AN I see. Warbird guys want all that AC stuff now to be completely original. Looks like an interesting project.

Josh Svennington was telling me about having a runaway EarthX in his experimental helicopter. From everything I have read I don't see how but he gets pretty worked up about them. I know plenty of people running them with no issues at all.
    Yeah the AC was cracked. Canít get them anymore. Had to re make the line. Iíd be surprised if those fittings have been out in the last 80 years. They were stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the AC was cracked. Canít get them anymore. Had to re make the line. Iíd be surprised if those fittings have been out in the last 80 years. They were stuck.

Little quick drying paint ( acrylic nail polish ) and it all looks the same

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"