• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hangar Construction Methods

Steve,

I’m in agreement with some others that anything much under 50’ wide will be narrow....the plane will fit, but it feels really cramped. I built my hangar 50’x50’ and it turns out (IMO) the magic size for me would have been 50x60. Lol....you have to stop somewhere though. I built mine mostly by myself, so that limited me by what equipment and tools I had (or had access to) I poured the concrete by conning some friends into helping. I framed the walls in sections and stood them up...I set the 50’ trusses with a skidsteer with a jib on it. 2/3 of them I set by myself. (Not recommended). I would think a steel building would require some lifting equipment to accomplish...I traded airplane parts and other services for equipment access from Pilot friends...I bet you are in a much better position than I for barter trade services. Just sayin. Does your airport have specific requirements ? Some require a steel building, built to approved standards. That really solidifies decisions when they are made for you.

I was curious if there was an advantage to the Miracle Truss vs conventional steel bolt together buildings. With the cost of lumber right now it doesn't pencil out to build that way. Steel is going up but locking that cost in now. 60 feet wide and was planning on 40 feet deep but now thinking of moving my carport back and going 45 since that is the size hangar I will be replacing. 12 foot sidewalls will be tall enough for anything I need to put in it. My 182 will fit. Amphib Super Cub won't but that is usually only once or twice a year although the AOPA give away Super Cub is on its way now. Float planes are kinda rare in Texas. My long term plan has always been not to build anything else on my airport property by my maintenance hangar. It is 80 feet wide and 65 feet deep and sets off the highway by itself away from the other structures on the airport. My lease is for a 250x150 foot track of land but it is not called out via a survey or anything else. I am 6 years into my second 15 year lease where the property never resorts back to the city, the only way for them to take it over is by imminent and pay me fair market value. I always counted on my storage hangar on the main part of the airport as money in the bank and later in life I could sell it. I wouldn't want to sell a hangar right next to the big hangar but I guess I can cross that road if and when it happens. I don't plan on water and sewer in the new hangar since it will be literally 5 feet from the main hangar with all the amenities including two apartments. Septic is on the opposite side of the hangar and I just don't see it being worth the expense. I am planning on a 48x12 foot Higher Power door. I like the way they operate and seal up. Spray foam insulation for the reason listed above. John is working on best way to heat and cool, good thing is I have natural gas right there. Fans seem like a good idea and have yet to figure out what I want to do on the floor. Something bright and easy to clean. Clean up to much oil on old concrete over the years. Good LED lighting is a must, my current hangar has very poor lighting. I was about ready to nix the whole project up until someone wanted to buy my storage hangar. My house and hangars are very close to being paid for and at 55 years old, self employed, no retirement I don't want to go in debt. Hopefully the sale will go through and I can do this. It is something I have dreamt about for a very long time. Appreciate everyone's feedback, gave me lots and lots of things to think about.

Meant to include this screen shot from Google maps showing my work hangar and storage hangar with airport layout. The airport is land looked until the build lots of infrastructure to access places for more hangars. I am at the bottom of a slight hill and my planned hangar site is west of the big hangar on the highway.
Screenshot_20210228-082432.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228-082432.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228-082432.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 231
What is a Higher Power door? A type or brand? How high is a super cub on amphibs? Sounds like you have it figured out.

There’s a builder ready to build out two 60x60 spots at our state owned airport. While he has long-standing relationship with the lumber yard, his numbers still show it cheaper per foot to build wood, either pole barn construction or stick framed.

Personal opinion, Morton Buiidings are attractive as they are finished well. Anyone can build the same way and get the same look, (many do) it’s a pole barn with metal in/out. Works good and lasts a long time. The Amish do it very fast in the northeast.

For my friend the builder he plans to stick build on the slab, partially due to the known efficiency of his framing crew, and the ease of typical insulation methods.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Steve, have you looked into ICF poured concrete walls? Structure and insulation done in one step and fast. I don’t know the economics for your state and climate but it can make a lot of sense in many applications.

David

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Steve, have you looked into ICF poured concrete walls? Structure and insulation done in one step and fast. I don’t know the economics for your state and climate but it can make a lot of sense in many applications.

I've got very limited experience with this type of construction, but the one project with which I was involved was great; super easy and quick. I've heard great things about it - especially regarding the insulation effect of the forms that are left. We've got a guy here in the valley who has used this several times and swears by it. If it is financially feasible I'd say this definitely merits investigation.

Stubbing the soil and water line up through the floor may be a handy future provision for you or someone else. Cap it off outside foundation.

I put these in my shop and am very happy with themView attachment 54435

I don't recall the brand but I installed similar "UFO lights" in my hangar.
I had the big sodium (?) lights in my hangar,
sucked up a lotta juice & took a few minutes to come on.
Now the lights come on instantly, bright as day to boot.
About $100 each off Amazon.
FWIW the overhead light switch is at the back of the hangar, so I put in a couple of those 4' LED shop lights from Costco
along one wall that are controlled by a switch next to the entry to light my way back there.

Back