• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail Spring Bolts

Chogf22

Camas, WA
Changing my tail spring today, was thinking that replacing the four bolts would be a good idea too.

Anyone know the exact sizes off the top of their head?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

IMG_2926.JPGIMG_2925.JPGIMG_2927.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 185
You have an Alaskan Bushwheel tailspring. I use an AN 6-25A bolt with a grade 8 washer on the spring side and an AN363-624 nut to hold the spring to the fuselage. AN4-16A bolts, AN960-416 washer and AN363-428 nuts for the tailspring plate. AN7-21A bolt, AN960-716 and a grade 8 washer and an AN363-724 nut for tailwheel head to tail spring.

Yes, change them! I had my bolt that holds the head onto the spring fail while slow taxi. Low time and no rough use.

Kurt

You have an Alaskan Bushwheel tailspring. I use an AN 6-25A bolt with a grade 8 washer on the spring side and an AN363-624 nut to hold the spring to the fuselage. AN4-16A bolts, AN960-416 washer and AN363-428 nuts for the tailspring plate. AN7-21A bolt, AN960-716 and a grade 8 washer and an AN363-724 nut for tailwheel head to tail spring.
Steve,
Where do you source the grade 8 washers? I want to make sure they're really grade 8 and not some knockoff. The ones at McMaster seem larger than AN960 equivalent.

Good idea to change on occasion. Tom Ford has a great story about a bolt that broke and John Meade has a follow on story about a gang of pirates who stole a tailwheel.

Steve,
Where do you source the grade 8 washers? I want to make sure they're really grade 8 and not some knockoff. The ones at McMaster seem larger than AN960 equivalent.
They do have a larger OD than an AN washer. I usually get them at McMaster Carr but have also picked them up at Tractor Supply in a pinch. Best thing I did was convert to a two bolt tail wheel head and spring. No more loose tailwheel to spring.

I like drilled bolts and castle nuts for the big bolts. Lock nuts tend to loosen up after a while.

I like drilled bolts and castle nuts for the big bolts. Lock nuts tend to loosen up after a while.

I have wondered if they loosened or stretched. I started using the AN363 steel look nuts because I thought they were loosening buti don't think they were, I think the bolts were stretching.

Yep, had a fiber lock on my wheel to spring bolt 2 summers ago. Had to re-tighten several times on the way to AK. Went into Stoddards and in one of the aisles there was a bin labeled “Cub tailwheel to spring hardware”. Bolt, washer, castle nut and cotter pin in a ziplock bag. Forgot how nice it was to have that kind of parts house just down the street..

Bolting through the double leaf springs has never made sense to me.
Spacer/bushing or not, seems like you couldn't tighten up the bolt properly
without binding the springs and/or putting some shear forces on the bolt.

Steve, do you put a washer in the fuselage, under the nut?

Back