• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I need help getting some info about shipping a super cub to Europe

A little more clarity as to what you need help with would go a long way. How to pack it, or how to get it there?

Attachments

• j3c65offtoireland 132.jpg
    j3c65offtoireland 132.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 162
A little more clarity as to what you need help with would go a long way. How to pack it, or how to get it there?

Thanks for your reply.

Basically I am looking for information as to how to pack it.

Do we need to make wooden crates for the wings and tail feathers?

Does the prop need to be removed?

Does the engine need to be drained of oil?

Tires on or off?

We have never done this before so I am trying to get as much info as I can.

I have cradles that were used when the plane was restored. See photos.2011.03.23 (5).JPG2011.03.23 (6).JPG2011.03.23 (7).JPG However, I am thinking that the wings will need more support. The cradles that we have were only for used for temporary storage.

Attachments

• 2011.03.23 (5).JPG
    2011.03.23 (5).JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 2011.03.23 (6).JPG
    2011.03.23 (6).JPG
    176 KB · Views: 127
  • 2011.03.23 (7).JPG
    2011.03.23 (7).JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 181
I would remove the engine and prop. Pack everything on the assumption that the container will be dropped 12". (I think there is a standard allowable impact, remember th crane is lowering onto a truck / she with very little movement.

But start with the shipping company and their insurers. Most will not insure unless it is professionally packed, and then the professional packers don't know anything about packing planes. And they don't take direction very well.

I've seen it go badly too often to want to try again.

But Cubs are light, if I packed it myself I would take the risk and insure for total loss only.

Aerodon

Thanks for your reply.

Basically I am looking for information as to how to pack it.

Do we need to make wooden crates for the wings and tail feathers?

Does the prop need to be removed?

Does the engine need to be drained of oil?

Tires on or off?

We have never done this before so I am trying to get as much info as I can.

I have cradles that were used when the plane was restored. See photos. However, I am thinking that the wings will need more support. The cradles that we have were only for used for temporary storage.

Why I showed my J3 packed and on it's way to Ireland. Engine and prop on, we didn't drain the oil but probably should have. Tires on and D rings screwed to the container floor to ratchet strap it down tight. I've done others where I made up a block to sit right under the axle and U clamps screwed over the axle just in case a tire went float.

As you can see wings are just sitting on top of insulation batts with a layer of plastic on top. Some foam stuffed behind the wings and three ratchet straps w/pipe wrap insulation on them hooked to the wall/floor hook and wrapped under the D and up to the roof hooks so the wings can kinda float. Zero issues.

Shipped a Rebel stuffed in a 20' can all the way to Hawaii. It first went all the way across Canada to Vancouver and then South to California on a train, then on the boat to the big Island and then on another boat to Maui, again unscathed.

Attachments

• j3c65offtoireland 141.jpg
    j3c65offtoireland 141.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 120
  • DCP01623.JPG
    DCP01623.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 122
I would suggest taking the prop off. It’s a lot of weight hanging out forward. The blocks under the axels are a great idea. A flat tire could cause havoc. Make sure the plane is secured fore and aft as well as side to side. Any area under your straps against the wings is subject to chaffing. Pad it well with soft material that won’t chafe against the wings.

the cradles your using for temporary storage look like you have carpet to support the wings. Commonly used and a poor choice. Carpet is very abrasive and over prolonged slight movement may chafe wings badly.

I would hang the wings on the side like picture above go to Costco or farm store for wide tow straps and cut as needed. Definitely remove prop! Do a oil change with 3 quarts oil and Canguard or 4 quarts pickle oil run then drain so costumes does not give you problems. Spend some extra money on good ratchet straps. I would drill out some blocks to fit the axle and pull the tires. If a tire go's flat the straps get loose. Pull wheel off tail and set on a block. Now compress the tail spring and main gear with straps. Back up with rope, so if strap/compression fails the rope will hold and should allow shift but not damage. Old blankets, pads, will save the paint, bubble wrap/cardboard/tape for struts and all the stuff you stick in the fuselage. When you think everything is right, remember MURPHY'S LAW and consider him an optimistic!!
DENNY

A buddy disassembles, packs, and reassembles aerobatic planes for competitions abroad. He packs the containers as if they may be laid on the side or upside down, because that’s what it takes to assure the planes won’t be damaged when the containers are opened. I’m sure he’d be willing to talk to you about it if you’d like to get connected.

I sent a pitts to Australia last year. I welded brackets on the inside walls of the shipping container to mount the wings using the front and rear spars at the wing roots and strut fittings. I put all the loose parts in totes and used straps over the totes and screwed to the floor. Same with the parts that were to big to go in totes like flying wires struts etc. the fuslage was too tall with tires so I screwed blocks to the floor to put the axle on . I bought d ring plates to screw to the floor to strap down the axles and tail wheel. I double strapped everything on the fuselage.
It must have worked because it got there ok.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Just got to thinking about it again. I took the tires off because I afraid if I strapped down on the tire and it went flat on the way it would give slack and beat it self loose.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If it will be registered in a different country, assuming it isn’t experimental, be sure to get the Export C of A before disassembly. Without an Export, depending on where it’s going, it may not be eligible for an airworthiness certificate in the new country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back