• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking at a 1951- PA 18 to Buy

sohc427mt

Belgrede MT
I am Looking at a 1951 PA 18 to buy .
It is a Ranch Cub and has 2200 hrs on it, No Flaps , no electoral , Not sure the motor size ? 120 Hp?
it is under Annual not sure if it is not his cousin doing it? just looking at it it is used.
it is a old military trainer and does have toe breaks .He says it fly's great?
Any idea what something like this is worth? (Range ) lo End
Are they worth owning ?
I have a high end Cub 160Hp that is Fat and not sure i want to try to put it on a diet .
Looking for a cheaper cub to do some off strip work with that I am not as worried about running a stick though.
IF I do get it should I leave the way it is ,or put other wings on with Flaps ? or just work on my slips ?

I own a 1952 PA18 Special with an O-235, no flaps, and with electrical. Great flying machine, and I enjoy slipping it in when necessary. As far as what it is worth, whatever someone is willing to pay.

I own a 1952 PA18 Special with an O-235, no flaps, and with electrical. Great flying machine, and I enjoy slipping it in when necessary. As far as what it is worth, whatever someone is willing to pay.

Thanks Joe I hear they are good planes I like that it is light

They fly nice but like anything with a small engine you know it when loaded or high density altitudes. I see a Super Cub like a new pickup, the first scratch hurts the worst. ;)

N104Tango...

N104Tango... with toe brakes.
D2D9BCAB-91A3-449A-AA97-28B1ADD7ED55.jpeg

Attachments

• D2D9BCAB-91A3-449A-AA97-28B1ADD7ED55.jpeg
    D2D9BCAB-91A3-449A-AA97-28B1ADD7ED55.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 209
  • D1EA52D7-3A81-4582-ADC9-139CF7F70101.jpeg
    D1EA52D7-3A81-4582-ADC9-139CF7F70101.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I truly hate the toe brakes, but otherwise a stock Tango Cub can be a thing of joy for under fifty K.
I learned in a Husky so I am good with tow breaks , what is a “Tango “ Cub ? and I was thinking around 25k thanks for your input.

There’s one just north of me that’s been for sale for awhile. Has 0235 Lyc. I thought 25k would be plenty.

its a cub not sure how good it is ,motors about timed out and it has been well used. could be a fix up project

The "Tango" toe brakes are not well thought out. Improperly adjusted they can cause serious problems. That said, the Tango Cubs are usually bargains.
25 K will get you one disassembled, needing cover and overhaul. Fifty will get you a nice one.

Thanks for the info this one is around 25k but needs a full overhauled
Since you are looking for a "beater" Cub, a "full" overhaul on this one may be overkill and $$$$$. Keep your investment low. Just fix what needs fixing and go flying. A Full overhaul would appear to defeat your purpose. Make certain the engine is in good condition and there aren't any tubing clusters falling out and go.

Tango cubs had no flaps, toe brakes, and a T at the end of the N Number...Tango.

Google Tango Cubs, several threads here about them.
"PA-18-105 Special", a buddy of mine owns one.
They were built as sort of a "pre-military trainer",
with toe brakes, no flaps, O235Lyc, and low seats so occupants could wear butt-pack parachutes.

From wiki: "PA-18-105 SpecialSpecial variant built in 1952 and 1953 for the Civil Air Patrol as a trainer with horn-balanced elevators and provision for seat parachutes.[SUP][3]"

[/SUP]Don't recall just how many were built, but I believe the original the tail number on all of them was 3 digits followed by a T--
hence the "Tango Cub" nickname.

Back